• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you interested in Xbox (project Scarlett) and/or the Playstation 5?

Are you interested in Xbox (project Scarlett) and/or the Playstation 5?
These are the new (allegedly) next generation console offerings from Microsoft and Sony.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm always interested in next gen consoles, but I wouldn't say I'm very interested in anything Xbox has to offer because I can buy any Xbox games for PC. However, I am interested in the Playstation 5 and whether Sony will maintain it's grip through to the next gen.

Last edited:
However, I am interested in the Playstation 5 and whether Sony will maintain it's grip through to the next gen.
This battle is purely Playstation vs Xbox and I believe Sony will win that. I think the huge PS4 back catalogue many people have still playable on the PS5 natively will really help people smoothly transition over to the PS5. But we shall see if I am correct or totally wrong. I'm very interested in this as well.
I beleive Nintendo is not a competitor as it's very different. From 2017 till now and Switch is more popular than the Xbox 1 and PS4 but that's obviously not a fair comparison as both appeal to totally different markets.

A lot of the tech in the next Xbox and the next Playstation is the same. Both are using AMD for the main chip. Both on a 7nm process. I say main chip as it seems they are doing an all in one chip, as in not discrete separate CPU's and GPU's. Both are also using SSD for their main storage. A total move away from HDD. Both are advertising their new consoles very differently from the PS4P / XB1X. THis time around both are advertised in a way that is not slowing much information. Very little raw data has been announced. Before the PS4P and XB1X were released a lot of raw data was chared by MS and Sony. There's a lot more that's similar also.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93JlGKr2j1c

The big question is on a hardware level what (if any) are the differences? I am very interested to find out what these are. Soon enough we'll know.

I beleive Nintendo is not a competitor as it's very different. From 2017 till now and Switch is more popular than the Xbox 1 and PS4 but that's obviously not a fair comparison as both appeal to totally different markets.
I'm not sure on that. I know lots of people my age and younger (mid-20s) who own a Switch, or a Switch and a PS4/Xbox. Myself included. I don't think Nintendo is entirely out of the competition, despite trying their hardest not to be what with their weird system release dates and reveal philosophies.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I beleive Nintendo is not a competitor as it's very different. From 2017 till now and Switch is more popular than the Xbox 1 and PS4 but that's obviously not a fair com
The issue with Nintendo in the future is probably their adherance to Gunpei Yokai's "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology". They'd rather use established technology with a gimmick instead of trying to break ahead and get on par with the current era of gens. It works sometimes, like with the Wii, and now with the Switch; but I agree with you, this always puts Nintendo at a great disadvantage moving forward.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I will probably get a PS5 the year the PS6 comes out cuz that seems to be how I roll. I got my PS3 the year after the PS4 came out. As for Xbox as most of their games can also be on PC I don't need one so that saves me some money. I will probably buy whatever Nintendo's next console is long before I even think the PS5 is viable.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
While I think it's a little soon for this generation to be coming to an end, I'm really excited about the Scarlett and PS5.

As someone with a large library of games spanning multiple generations with a massive backlog that goes back generations, backwards compatibility is very important to me. So I'm definitely excited that Xbox is focusing their efforts on making every current backward compatible title as well as the entire Xbox One library, backwards compatible on the Scarlett.

But most importantly, these games will take advantage of the new hardware and look better and run smoother than they did before, which gives me a reason to upgrade right away as I'll have plenty of games to catch up on between major next gen releases. But what's amazing about this too, is that this type of backwards compatibility could essentially put an end to constant remasters that simply improve resolution and framerate. Rather than getting another meaningless Resident Evil 4 remaster next gen, Capcom could finally be forced to make actual visual and quality of life improvements to the game so that they can sell it again.

So far, the PS5 seems to be backwards compatible with the PS4, but I really hope Sony takes a page from Microsoft here. Especially as someone who just recently amassed a PS2 library and still needs to catch up on PS3 games after the console crapped out on me.

Backwards compatibility aside though, what I find most fascinating about both next gen consoles though, is how meaningless the console war is gonna become.

Microsoft f*cked up hard when they announced the Xbox One and they haven't been able to recover from it this whole generation. But they've definitely been making all the right moves in preparation for next generation. And while I don't think they'll blow the PS5 out of the water, both consoles will definitely be on par as they've always been, but this time, with Microsoft's full dedication to creating a gaming ecosystem and service that they'll need to support, Xbox will finally have the games to compete with Playstation's exclusives.

Whatever console anyone gets next generation, I think it's safe to assume that either way, they'll be getting a beefy machine with plenty of great exclusive games.

The issue with Nintendo in the future is probably their adherance to Gunpei Yokai's "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology". They'd rather use established technology with a gimmick instead of trying to break ahead and get on par with the current era of gens. It works sometimes, like with the Wii, and now with the Switch; but I agree with you, this always puts Nintendo at a great disadvantage moving forward.
If you consider the docked experience only, I would agree with you 100%. However the portable aspect totally changes everything. Compared to the 3DS, the Switch is a game changer. The Switch is really cutting edge mobile tech as it's price point.
I do agree with you the disadvantage will come, with almost no cross platform titles comeing to it in the PS5 era once the cross generation time period (ie PS4/PS5) is done. I douby any good specifically developed for PS5 games will run on the Switch. Nintendo can survive on 1st party and indies but the 3rd party multiplats are very nice to have too.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think I could care any less about Xbox.

I've only had a PS2 and PS4 so far (I got the PS4 years after it came out) and don't think I'll get the PS5 anywhere near the release date. Nonetheless, I will be keeping an eye on the machine and the exclusives that come with it. If they could get backward compatability with PS1-4 that would be awesome too. I don't really care about graphics or processing power particularly, just fun games.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Not even a little. This console generation has been utterly pointless so far. For all the improvement over the last gen, we've had merely a handful of remarkable titles so far. And the improvement in graphics and processing capabilities over the last hardware generation is not enough to justify what few games have actually made full use of the current gen's capabilities.

Otherwise it's all been the same old same old. Same games that could have been released and ran on last generation hardware with no practical difference. Maybe some of them look marginally better and the loading times are less insufferable.

The fact remains that even in the 7th gen, developers were becoming hard pressed to fulfill the demands of development that are required to realize the full extent of the hardware's capabilities. The 8th gen pushed those development requirements even further. It's no surprise then that many of the more recent popular titles are utilizing the same sort of stylized graphics (games like Overwatch, Fortnite) that aren't out of place on any hardware in the last fifteen years. For the same reason ninty luvs them thar toon-style, these graphics are cheaper and easy to develop. What few AAA developers there are with any semblance of savvy finally realized that trying to develop for photo realistic visuals was murdering their bottom line and had the good sense to just not even bother pursuing that honey pot. What good is all this fancy hardware when developers can't even afford to develop for it?

Nevermind that the overall quality of titles has further nosedived in the 8th gen, with the same derivative, unimaginative, regurgitated drek churned out year after year. Next to no indie or middle market on consoles. Everything big budget AAA ripoffs that consumers are becoming increasingly adverse to if the continual slump in sales is any indication. Even yearly production has tapered off. Heck, just look at E3! And all the new and exciting games that weren't featured! It was like that last year, and it was even worse this year. Even the corporate studios are finally starting to figure out that no one wants to play with their garbo anymore and they're at a loss. They have no idea what projects to even start. Many of their yearly cash cow franchises have been discontinued.

So what are we left with at this point in the current generation? What makes us think we can expect anything from the next generation??? The technological improvement over the next gen compared to this one will be even less than the current one over the last. And our games aren't getting any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom