• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you hard to please with video games?

Hello everyone, my name is Spirit and I don't like video games...

Apparantly I'm hard to please where video games are concerned.

I don't like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War 2018, I'm not interested in Spider-Man, Death Stranding or the other one people are excited for... The Last of Us part 2 (and there are tens of other high profile games I don't like either).

HZD was boring as hell and God of War was just mediocre overall in my opinion but apparantly I'm wrong.

Are you hard to please as a gamer?

Are there many popular 10/10 games that you just don't like or feel deserve all the praise they get?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
The shoot em ups are rubbish cod and murder the random people in the middle of the street

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I'm not that hard to please. Most games I buy I enjoy a great amount and aggressively play. I haven't purchased a game for the Switch that I didn't adore. I don't buy games that often because games expensive, so I think I still have a huge sense of wonder when approaching a new game.

That said, I am fairly specific on what games I buy. I have to really be drawn to a game for it.

I'm not hard to please. I just like games that are totally far removed from the real life style. The wackier the better.
I don't care for the mostly bised review scores. The review meay has to scream fun for me to be interested. I like many technically sub par games that are really fun. I am aware fun is a subjective term. To me fun is total suspension of disbelief and playing something totally wacky and not possible in the real world.

Mido

Version 1
Hello everyone, my name is Spirit and I don't like video games...

Hi, Spirit. I'm Mido, and I suppose it's not the games themselves I don't like; but rather the overall realm of video game critique (if that is even the right way to put it).

I tend to be rather forgiving towards video games, perhaps even to a fault. Usually, I find myself often giving mediocre-to-bad games the benefit of the doubt based on things I do find redeeming about the experiences. Either that, or the elements considered lackluster by audiences do not tend to bother me as much. I suppose, to pull it back to the first point I made: I think gamers in general tend to be too hard on games.

I sometimes get the impression that some audiences observe only a couple of things that they consider to be flaws in a specific game and then suddenly the whole game is bad. While this sometimes can certainly be the case depending on the weight of such flaws, I hardly believe that this is the case most of the time. Dynasty Warriors 9 is a game recently that has been reviled by fans and most critics alike, and for reasons that I understand. The game is certainly not very polished, and the voice acting does reach so-bad-it's-good levels. Nevertheless, my brief experiences with it gave me the impression that the game was simply average. Undeniably flawed, but not the worst thing out there. Ace Attorney: Justice for All has generally been considered by fans to be one of the weakest titles in the series, some even attributing this to one case alone; and personally, I find this unfair (although perhaps my perspective is due to the fact that my favorite case in the main series happens to be in this game). While I stand by what I've said thus far, I would be lying if I said my perspective isn't hypocritical.

If anybody talked with me in early-to-mid 2013, I would have been ranting about how Gears of War: Judgment was a horrible game. Looking back now, while I still maintain that the game unnecessarily changed the traditional control scheme of the series and cut the Locust almost entirely out of multiplayer for no good reason save for one mode (that was admittedly kind of fun), the game had its strengths. The new weapons were cool, and the campaign was decent among other things. Another game I have criticized for years is Skyrim, which after playing it again with its DLC earlier in the year, I have a greater appreciation for it while also reinforcing some of my earlier thoughts on it. I still consider it a step down from its predecessor, but it is nonetheless a great game deserving of praise.

All things considered, I should mention that I don't think gamers being difficult to please based on their own respective standards is a bad thing at all. Each of us has our own set of personal tastes and expectations that gives each of us a unique perspective. These different perspectives allow us to learn from what each of us sees in a video game, good or bad. Being challenged by those perspective allows us to evaluate our own stances, adjusting or reinforcing said stances as we see fit. Ultimately, I think that the8thark states this sentiment much more concisely:

I am aware fun is a subjective term.

Higher expectations. Being more difficult to please. These characteristics embody those who expect better from the medium that we all enjoy; and expecting better is good. While I tend to be mostly forgiving towards video games and not the most difficult to please, a critical eye is nevertheless an important part of the puzzle.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I definitely am not hard to please when it comes to games. Often I end up liking a game that most others don't

Higher expectations. Being more difficult to please. These characteristics embody those who expect better from the medium that we all enjoy; and expecting better is good. While I tend to be mostly forgiving towards video games and not the most difficult to please, a critical eye is nevertheless an important part of the puzzle.
I do agree with you. A critical eye is very important. That I can't disagree with.
However to me I think the synergistic effect comes into play. This the idea that something can be better or worth more than the sum of its parts. Many games we play might technicallhy be slightly sub par in a few or many areas but we still really like the games because of nostalgia or the fun we have from them or one of a number of reasons. I do critique games just like everyone here does. However I do not let a technically sub par game prevent me from having a great time. Also I don't let a technically great game with zero substance sway me to thinking it automatically has to be good.

This is why I believe gaming or more of an art form and not a science. Just like the movie or music or painting or similar industries. All critiques on them are purely subjective. We each make up our own mind on which we find great. As long as we do this through a decent critique and not being complacent, then it's all good.

A food analogy would be if you liked a certain high quality fancy restaurant dish and also liked equally as much a certain home cooked dish. Of cause both are at totally different technical levels, but you like both for totally different reasons. The same applies to video games.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yup. My standards are too high for whatever lame derivative tripe the lazy cheap-ass cash grabbing corporate studios are pinching out these days.

And even if I lower my standards to the absolute barest acceptable minimum I'm willing to tolerate these corporate owned hacks still can't even meet me half way.

It's not like I've changed. I still have plenty of fun playing games that are 15-20+ years old. Industry's just gone to sh@t.

I wouldn't say I'm hard to please, but there's probably different classifications for my being pleased with/enjoyment of/interaction with a game and its mechanics and world and how those overlap for me to experience the game in a way that its deeply moving to me as a form of art--which games are a unique form of interactive art, and some games take advantage of that medium better than others.

But I don't expect every game to be life-altering, and I don't need them to be for them to be loved or even favorites. Some games don't even have to have a good story for me to love them, as long as they're fun to play, then that's enough to please me. But yeah, I guess for them to end up really meaningful beyond just a game or time sink, that's pretty hard to achieve for me, and my sort need of deeper fulfillment is hard to satisfy and that goes for other forms of art as well.

I would still say I'm picky about some minor stuff, but it's pretty much quality of life things, I guess. As long as I can flip the camera axis and mute voices/turn on captions then I'm fairly content to play a game.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Yes and no.

Yes, it’s very rare for me to say I overly love a game. Generally there’ll be only 1 or 2 games per year that I think are that good, Metroid Dread and Mario Odyssey have been the only games on the switch that I’ve overly loved so far (unless you count the LA Remake).

However, I also tend to be very forgiving of a lot of games that I don’t care for. I mean, look at all the 7/10s I’ve put in “rate the last game that you played” thread. It takes a lot for me to actively dislike a game, usually one from a series that I otherwise love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom