• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are You Guys Gonna Get Mad if Link Begins with 6 Hearts?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Hmm, at first thought, I'd really like to have 3 hearts, since that's how it's always been, and that's what we're used to. (Plus, doing a "6-heart challenge" on Skyward Sword just sounds a little weird to me. XD) I wouldn't have a problem with the enemies doing 1 heart's worth of damage and Link only having 3 hearts. But for the sake of those people who have never played Zelda before and/or are just casual gamers, I think it would be a better idea for the game to start out with 6 hearts, as proposed. I won't exactly be ecstatic about it, but I won't be upset either since I know that everyone -- not just experienced players -- deserves a chance at playing the game without having to put up with its immense difficulty.

That said, I'm not so sure where this 6-heart deal came from... Was it confirmed somewhere, or is this just a question to spark conversation?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Three hearts is tradition, Skyward Sword is breaking tradition by a considerable amount. Though I think it is fair to say that there is about an even chance of starting with three OR six. Djinn noted that the demos are purposefully made easier for convention/casual players to play, so that is understandable.

Even going by demo standards (6 hits to death), the game doesn't look to terribly hard. Actually, the enemies have some of the worst AI I have seen in a Zelda game in quite a while; they literally play defense until your guard is down, which is ridiculous because if I can keep up the offense while still being perceptive of the battlefield, I will have no troubles at all. I watch one gameplay video ONCE (Ghirahim's video I watched a couple times, over 10 at least) and I already know how the enemy AI plays out for that particular enemy. So, if it were three hearts to death, but with my knowledge of how enemies work, no trouble would present itself in any form or fashion. Simply keep your card guard up, then slash at the enemy when you knock their defenses away.

Last edited:
its 90% certain that there will be 6 hearts at the beginning. it's pure logic, given the series difficulty standarts and the damage the enemies are dealing. Plus that intro demo version was clearly a real deal debug version.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Um, where is this even coming from? No, there'll need to be tons of Heart Pieces for a world the size of Skyward Sword's. They'll be evenly dispersed, as they are in all Zeldas I've played, and inspire us to explore even more. Starting us out with six hearts would be dragging down the system greatly. <3

My Daughters are 13 years old and they are pretty decent at gaming...
I concur. It's rather insulting how older gamers look down upon younger gamers as though they can't do it. The funny part is we gamed well enough when we were that age, so what's stopping them from doing the same? Nothing at all.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The younger gamers earned the reputation themselves, simply by trying to act cool. In the end, I don't suppose that young gamers are actually restricted, though as Billy noted I would be worried about those too common heart drops that will obviously make the game much easier than need be. Granted, they may have a lower RNG value in the final product and thus a lower chance of appearing when slashing pots/grass, but the demos are saying otherwise.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I was thinking that perhaps we would start off with three hearts at the very beginning, but somehow earn the other three during our training at that school in the sky. That way, it wouldn't feel like we weren't earning those hearts, but by the time we faced any real enemies, we would have six.

I would much rather have us "earn" the other three hearts in some way, even if it's very easy. If they do just start us off with six, I'll still be okay with that. I just think that they would be passing up opportunities for more heart pieces, and breaking with tradition rather badly.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
With more heart pieces, Athe, comes the need to cleverly place them in areas that require thought. Now, SS doesn't appear to be the game where laziness pervades every corner, but it is to be expected that if there are, say, 100 heart pieces in a game then at least 15 of those HPs will be poorly placed just so they can be there. In no way am I saying Skyward will do that to us, but as I've said having extra heart pieces just for the sake of having them could lead to bad placement.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I shall not be angry if they decide to do that. I think 6 will be the right amount to cope with the amount of damage the enemies deal out. In the beginning of most zelda games enemies deal out a pathetic amount of damage, now they deal a full heart so 6 hearts for link is not unreasonable. I personally think it looks better with more hearts.

No, because it is about difficulty and not about number of hearts. The two aren't necessarily related, even if that was the case in TP and WW.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Alright, I think it's been confirmed. We start out with six hearts.

"[...] The boys were last seen by the waterfall, a place not for the weak of heart, or hearts. (You start out with six rather than the normal three.)"

Source here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom