• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you going to give ARMS a second chance?

The recent Nintendo Direct revealed that a character from ARMS will be making it into the roster.

Smash often does a good job of introducing people to characters from games they may have never played and inspire them to check said games out.

ARMS was overshadowed by Splatoon in 2017 and fell out of the public eye quite quickly despite substantial free content after release.

There is a demo for ARMS in the eShop and Nintendo have also opened up a free trial of the game for those with the Nintendo Online service.

Has Smash intrigued you about ARMS enough for you to give it a go?

Has it inspired you to pick the game back up if you played it previously?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Oh yes, definitely. I played it briefly at a friends house and didn't understand squat and got an overall very messy picture of the game. Maybe a second go will make me warm up to it a bit more.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
heck I haven't even given it a first chance, heh
I've always been lukewarm on arms honestly, it's basically a game that I'd be up for to play someday but I'm not on the look out for it, heck I still haven't even tried out splatoon
if I can actually remember I'll give the free trial a shot

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Nah. I tried the network test back in the day and I didn’t hate it, but it’s also not really my kind of game. I really don’t like fighting games. Smash is the only one I like. I think ARMS is a really cool concept, but as a game it’s not for me.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
So I really like Arms, but I think to get people interested, they’d need to fix a few things in ways I’m not sure how.

1. The game has a pretty steep learning curve at times, and it suffers by not being as pick up and play as other multiplayer Nintendo titles like Smash. Smash has items to level things out, some pretty universal inputs, and familiar faces; where as Arms‘s control scheme takes time to get used to, its mechanics can be rather foreign, even to those who play fighting games, and, while the cast is sort of easy to get a grasp of due to character design, their abilities are still a bit foreign.

2. Unlocking different arms. If Nintendo didn’t constantly hand out coins early on, I’d barely unlock anything. It’s tedious, it’s a grind, and you have to unlock each arm with each character, twice if you want maximum damage output.

3. A bit more solo content. What’s there is okay, but I feel it could be better. The side modes are great, and I love playing volley ball and basket ball with friends, but they don’t want to as often due to that difficulty curve I mentioned earlier.

I think most all of these could be fixed with a fleshed out sequel, and I’d love it if they dipped into other IPs for different arms, and to a lesser extent, characters (lookin at you Lanky Kong). But you could easily make arms from other series, a boomerang arm using the boomerang from Mario or Zelda, a Hylian shield arm, a master sword arm, possibly some hammer arms from Mario, arwing boomerang or shield arms; the potential there is endless and would help bring people in because of their interest and familiarity with other series.

I want Arms to succeed. I want to see these characters more and more. I want this to be a game that is as easy to suggest playing with friends as Mario Kart or Smash. It just needs some finesse.

I'll definitely go back to it now that I've been reminded of Arms. I stopped playing after the Party Crashes ended. It's still a fun game, especially if you play online, but there needs to be more offline content. Once you complete the Grand Prix for all characters there isn't much to do. It's a fun game to boot up for a few matches every few months but there isn't much to keep me coming back unlike the massive content in Smash.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
No I don't think I will. It's cool that it's coming to Smash and all, but I don't own the game and have no intent on getting into it, especially with everything that's coming later. The demo I tried was a pretty fun if not a bit technical, but Arms doesn't seem like the type of game that would get a resurgence anytime soon. Unless Nintendo spent the past could of years adding solo content or something, they don't have much of a reason to bank on its success. Arms was a one time thing and it just didn't pan out the way they wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom