• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you concerned or cautiously optimistic for Zelda Switch?

If the Switch does well and lasts a little longer than the WiiU then we may get a Zelda title exclusive to the Switch, which could be good.
However, with the new standard being 'open air' for 3d Zelda games in the future, is Zelda a series you will want to stick with?

Could they do better than BotW in scale and content?

Or do you fear the future? Do you fear the liklihood 120 mini dungeons and 900korok seeds?

Are you excited for the reveal of the next game or worried at what you'll see?

I think any future Zelda game could do alot better than BotW. You can still have a open air zelda game and still have a great title. The problem with BotW is that it went all out new and got rid of alot of traditional Zelda elements that defined Zelda. I think if it ironed out some of the problems with BotW like balancing out the combat and getting rid of the weapon system, as well as bring back some of the more traditional Zelda elements like proper dungeons, items, more focus on story and any setting other than a post apocalyptic Hyrule, then this game would instantly be better then the supposed "ultimate Zelda game".

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I am not optimistic. For every improvement BoTW made over past entries it introduced new annoyances and did something else worse.

This is what almost always happens (with the exception of TP which improved most aspects of OOT whilst introducing relatively few annoyances) therefore I cant expect the next Zelda to be better only that some of the crap and the good BoTW introduced is cut out and new crap and new good will be added. There is no natural progression and improvement from game to game so the next Zelda will probably be mediocre as the series has been for a long time. And I am not excited for mediocre.

Last edited:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
To be blunt, it depends on whether Aonuma remains in charge of Zelda. If he gets tired of it or quits for some reason, there's a chance someone else could come in and do things better.

But I really don't think Zelda is going to get much better as long as he's the producer. Not based on what he's said about the future of Zelda.

If someone else becomes producer, I'd say I'll be cautiously optimistic. If he stays, then I'm concerned.

Maybe I should say that I'm cautiously optimistic that Aonuma will get bored of working on Zelda and eventually want to step out of Miyamoto's shadow to work on something of his own invention. He has said he intends to surpass him, and he can't do that if he never creates a new franchise.

Zachie

Moo
As it's still 1-3 years off, I'm not really anything for it just yet. I'll wait until we have some footage and go from there. BOTW is a solid game, though, so I have no reason to think that the next game wouldn't also be solid.

This next game if on the Switch will not be a huge sprawling game. It will be different with some quirky mechanic, like MM was for the N64 or Zelda 2 was for the NES.

Last edited:

Zachie

Moo
This next game if on the Switch will not be a huge sprawling game. It will be different with some quirky mechanic, like MM was for the N64 or Zenda 2 was for the NES.
False. Nintendo has said going forward that open world will be the standard.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I'm defintely hopeful. I think another open world Zelda game + more dungeons would be awesome if that's what they decide to do.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm definitely not cautiously optmistic about future Zelda games, and I can't quite say I'm all that concerned. If BotW is the direction they're moving (which they have stated it is and would be the smart thing to do, given BotW's success) then I have no interest in playing any more of them. Lately, I've been weighing up the idea of selling my Switch and I'm almost certainly going to do so. BotW could well be the last Zelda game I ever play, and I don't feel at all sad about that thought.

For me, an open world game lives or dies on the strength of its lore and the stories found within it, areas Nintendo have never been strong in, have openly stated they don't much care for, and which they are unlikely to put any considerable effort into in future. BotW's world was gorgeous, but it was uninhabited. There was no one interesting in it, nothing interesting to find. The fact it was post-apocalyptic (mostly) meant the stories you found in the world were the same everywhere: Ganon destroyed everything a hundred years ago. Oh. Cool. Has nothing happened since then? I have no reason to believe Nintendo will ever deliver the kind of open world game I can spend time with, and so I have no hopes for anything they show in future. Whatever it is, chances are it simply won't be my type of game.

As it's still 1-3 years off
Considering the last three home console Zelda's have all taken at least four years this sounds not cautiously optimistic, but hopelessly so.

In fourteen years we've had three console Zelda games. Three. In fourteen years.

This next game if on the Switch will not be a huge sprawling game.
False. Nintendo has said going forward that open world will be the standard.
Your statement does not invalidate my statement.
Sounds like it entirely invalidates your statement. Open world games are, by their nature, huge and sprawling. If it's not huge and sprawling it's not an open world. So when Nintendo say the next game will be open world like BotW, that means the next game will be huge and sprawling. It might have some sort of hook to it like older Zelda games, but saying it won't be huge and sprawling sounds pretty invalid to me.

Ninja

Well well well
I'm certainly optimistic about Zelda Switch, or the future of Zelda in general. From the main console games I've played, they've always done a solid job delivering. My favorite part about Zelda is in it's name, the legend of it. The lore of.. everything is simply amazing and it certainly gives us fans a lot to discuss, theorize, and have fun with.

Since the future standard is going to be open world, I'm hoping the next title features more actual dungeons, temples, more intricate boss fights, and maybe even a mega boss, that'd be pretty cool to see. One of the things I didn't like about BOTW is that after you complete one Divine Beast, you pretty know the SAME outcome of each dungeon. You step on the beast, get a cutscene, get the map, and perform the same duties as usual. I appreciate the open world aspect, however a slight form of linearity would be nice to have back.

I just want a good story, solid combat, and since they have introduced it, more voice acting. I'm excited to see whats next for Zelda, unfortunately we're probably going to have to wait another 3-5 years. :/

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
From what Aonuma said, the next game will basically play like BOTW. So...as far as I'm concerned, Zelda's dead. BOTW wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't Zelda, and I'm mainly a Zelda fan so...I'm not really interested or excited in the next title TBH.

And because Aonuma got rid of all the developers that previously worked on Zelda, I don't think a return is even possible at this point.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Cautiously optimistic. Breath of the Wild was a breath of fresh air (pun intended) and it's become my favorite video game period, so I don't mind them continuing on the open world path. What I am curious about is how much of BotW's mechanics they'll draw from for the next one. I don't want a BotW clone for the next one. I want them to continue breaking conventions. I want another unique experience out of the next game. I do want them to keep the best features out of BotW, like cooking and the armor system, but I want to see them handle things in a new way, too.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Why are we even assuming anything here. That is my question. The Zelda team hasn't even finished the DLC for the first title to be frank.

We have no idea what they could do next. And I mean this with sincerity. For all we know, the next title on the Switch could be a top down 2D Zelda game(which would be rad).

As for the new 3D Zelda formula.
I have high hopes.
Do we all forget that Ocarina of Time was an extremely basic concept at the time, with not the most fully fledged features in the world for the time? OoT was revolutionary for its time, just like BotW on. But like BotW, there was so much to improve upon. Combat was simplistic, most of the story was a retelling of ALttP, Epona's features were undercooked, and the overworld in OoT was extremely empty.

So, like OoT, BotW's sequels will take massive steps in improving, and using this formula to make different types of games. From the oddball MM, to the fresh WW, to the expanded TP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom