• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you bored of superheroes?

052959500_1459151819-Infini-T-Force-1.jpg

Maybe this will be a little more entertaining for me than Marvel and DC.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
You'd think I'd be bored of them completely since I've spent most of my life watching and learning and anticipating them, but for the most part I'm still excited about seeing my favorite characters being shown to millions of people and them loving it. Sure, there are superhero films I skip (looking at you Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World), but there are also films that change how I look at movies as a whole (Such as The Dark Knight and Logan). I'll be along for the ride as long as there is quality, even if there is a large quantity.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The appeal is dwindling, that much is certain. What Disnich stumbled upon from their superhero movie predecessors like Dark Knight and the Spiderman trilogy and Daredevil is that there is a wider market for superhero movies than just comic book fans. As someone who has no interest in comics - like much of that market I'm sure - I myself was glad for the introduction to characters I otherwise would have never known about. I find Captain America rather dull, but I really enjoy the totalitarian data-gathering and domestic spying theme of Supersoldier and the nuanced civil war story. The Iron Man movies on their own don't appeal to me, but throw Tony Stark together with the rest of the Avengers and you've got some really interesting dynamics going on. Thing is, what appeals to me about superheros isn't what appeals to comic fans. I'm more interested in the stories these heroes and villains can tell rather than the limitless possibility death-is-only-temporary power fantasies that appeal to comic fans - and if box office numbers and critical acclaim are any indication, so does the rest of the non-comic moviegoing demographic as indicated by movies such as The Dark Knight and Logan.

And I don't think there are any more interesting stories to tell. Maybe there are a few interesting characters left to throw in that I don't know about? A pretty good chance considering how many of them have been in print for the last half century at least. But at this point these movies can't just be the same old rehashed hollywood spectacle anymore. Audiences are bored with that. There has to be something original to compel audiences. And we all know hollywood wouldn't suffer an original idea to save their immortal souls.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Thing is, what appeals to me about superheros isn't what appeals to comic fans. I'm more interested in the stories these heroes and villains can tell rather than the limitless possibility death-is-only-temporary power fantasies that appeal to comic fans - and if box office numbers and critical acclaim are any indication, so does the rest of the non-comic moviegoing demographic as indicated by movies such as The Dark Knight and Logan.
Wtf kind of comic fans do you talk to? All of the ones I know care more about the characters and stories than powers and action. I'd argue that some of the best stories that have been told in the 20th and 21st centuries came from comic books. Good storytelling is what draws fans to comics and the movies based on them. I think you are more like comic fans than you think.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
The appeal is dwindling, that much is certain. What Disnich stumbled upon from their superhero movie predecessors like Dark Knight and the Spiderman trilogy and Daredevil is that there is a wider market for superhero movies than just comic book fans. As someone who has no interest in comics - like much of that market I'm sure - I myself was glad for the introduction to characters I otherwise would have never known about. I find Captain America rather dull, but I really enjoy the totalitarian data-gathering and domestic spying theme of Supersoldier and the nuanced civil war story. The Iron Man movies on their own don't appeal to me, but throw Tony Stark together with the rest of the Avengers and you've got some really interesting dynamics going on. Thing is, what appeals to me about superheros isn't what appeals to comic fans. I'm more interested in the stories these heroes and villains can tell rather than the limitless possibility death-is-only-temporary power fantasies that appeal to comic fans - and if box office numbers and critical acclaim are any indication, so does the rest of the non-comic moviegoing demographic as indicated by movies such as The Dark Knight and Logan.

And I don't think there are any more interesting stories to tell. Maybe there are a few interesting characters left to throw in that I don't know about? A pretty good chance considering how many of them have been in print for the last half century at least. But at this point these movies can't just be the same old rehashed hollywood spectacle anymore. Audiences are bored with that. There has to be something original to compel audiences. And we all know hollywood wouldn't suffer an original idea to save their immortal souls.
Good stories from comics that have not been brought to official live action film yet:
  • Demon in a Bottle - Not done justice in IM2 and 3. (Iron Man)
  • The slow descent of Hank Pym - not a single comic, takes place over the years, slowly, but I think it got really powerful. (Ant-Man)
  • The Long Halloween/The Black Mirror/any story where Batman is a legit detective (Batman)
  • Hard-Travelling Heroes (Green Lantern and Green Arrow)
  • Emerald Twilight (Green Lantern)
  • Knightfall/Hush - you don't need both (Batman again)
  • Flash of Two Worlds (The Flash)
  • The Longbow Hunters (Green Arrow)
  • Green Arrow: Supermax - Actually a movie that never got made instead of a comic, but it's a great idea that was somewhat explored in Arrow and could be done even better with more access to characters and on the big screen. (Green Arrow)
  • Son of Batman (Batman)
  • Non-Bruce Wayne Batmen (Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, Terry McGinnis)
I'm obviously I'm a bit more of a DC guy, but I'm sure there are plenty of other Marvel stories that could be really interesting.
Alternate Universe stories like Elseworlds and Marvel Zombies also bring around great ideas, though making those into live-action movies the way we have set up now could be... dangerous. Maybe someday I'd like to see a live-action Red Son or Batman/Dredd, but not today.
But my point is, there are lots of great ideas... if they're willing to take more risks, storytelling-wise. To do more than make an action movie about people punching other people really hard, or to have more of a downer ending that takes the hero so far out of status quo it's not even funnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom