• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are You a Hero or a Bystander?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
*I could not find a similar thread, my apologies in advanced if this is a duplicate.

In my English class a few months ago, we spent a long time debating over hero archetypes among a plethora of other topics. We read an article with the same name, and I was very intrigued. It makes me think that we're all so very divided. Some of us are leaders, and some of us are followers. Some of us selflessly put others before ourselves, and some of us take into consideration our own safety before anyone else's. Some of us are willing to make sacrifices, and some of us are not. Everyone is different, but it all boils down to one question; are you a hero or a bystander?​

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I honestly can't be sure. I've never been put into a situation that forced me to make such a choice. I'd like to think I would be a "hero" rather than a "bystander", but as I said, there's no way I can be sure unless I actually face a situation like that. The one thing I can say is that I do put others before myself. I don't really do much for myself and I sacrifice a lot of my time to do things for other people, regardless of whether I actually want to at the moment or not. Heck, my best friend has been bugging me about that, trying to get me to do more for myself and stop worrying about everyone else so much. ._. So, with that in mind, I think I would be a "hero"; at least, that's what I'd like to believe.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I can't say for myself wheather I'm a hero or a bystander, someone else will have to do that to make it more accurate. But I guess from what I've recieved from others I believe I'm a hero. I think in a way it's subconcious, or it just feels good so I do it no matter what, but a lot of people seem to give me compliments on my "heroism". But perhaps that's just to be nice, and I'm not as hero-like as they say or I might think. The only way to really determine this is to ask someone you know. :>

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
When I took a group of students to Europe a few years ago, one of the sweet little kids got into an argument with who I imagine was some sort of French hoodlum (his knowledge of English profanity was, despite his apparent lack of employment or clean clothing, quite extensive). When the guy decided to come into our hotel to continue the conversation, I got in the way. I could have been shot, stabbed, or otherwise damaged, but I wasn't thinking about that at the time. After a brief moment of mutual uncertainty, I just looked directly into his eyes and said "time to go home." He left.

I don't think of myself as some sort of hero, but I'll be damned if I fail to keep a promise or carry out some other duty because I was too afraid to stand up and do something about it.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I can't and won't ever say for myself that I'm a Hero. But I can say for a fact that I am NOT a bystander. I'm always trying to be there when people need me, it's almost a moral duty for me lol. I just enjoy helping people. :) I'd do anything I can to help my friends and stuff you know? I'd never be able to live with myself knowing that I let other people get hurt just cause I'm afraid to get my hands a little dirty. I'm no Hero. But I'm no bystander. I'm just a person who wants to help.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I think it depends, really. I would say I mostly go by instinct when I perceive a situation to hold some kind of risk. I think in some reasons I could act as the hero and in others self-preservation would kick in and I would remain a bystander. I actually don't think people are either one or the other, but will react differently to different settings.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I would say that I am neither. If somebody is getting beat down I won't just stop what I'm doing and watch as they get beat down or jump in and save them, I'll just keep on going because I most likely have places to be other than there. The only reason I'd bother to help somebody is if it's a person I care about in trouble or a kid/elder/disabled, the only reason I'd bother to stop and watch what is going on is if it's two drunks or hobos trying to fight.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I'm a hero most definitely. I've been raised to help others as much as possible by my parents and I get a great feeling helping people. If someone needs it and my life is in danger, I may think twice, but I doubt that I wouldn't help. As an Eagle Scout, I'm prepared for any situation that requires my help, especially if someone needs first aid cause I'm great in those situations.

Same if there's some who's getting beat up. Beating down someone who is weaker than you is one of the most lowlife things anyone can do and I hate people who do it. I'll jump and help them out, even if it means fighting with them or for them. And I will do so even if I lose. At least I know my conscious was in the right place, and that's what matters.

Mellow Ezlo

Po-Tay-Toes
Forum Volunteer
As a Legend of Zelda fan, I think it's just natural that when I see somebody getting attacked, I'd consider that a great opportunity to test out my life-saving skills break into their house and smash all their pots.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I care about others more than myself and yet do evil viscous things. I know the difference between right and wrong, but I keep choosing wrong. I am neither a hero nor a bystander. I am a villain.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I'm a bystander simply becaue I hate getting involved with anyone elses life. I hate drama, I hate social concepts. But lately I've been developing something called "Narutude", meaning my attitude to how people treat others are starting to be similar to Naruto's, I think I've been watching a lil too much.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Being a bystander implies that somebody must be present in a situation and yet do nothing. I can't even say that I'm a bystander because I'm not really involved with other people's lives except family members. It's a really big problem of mine that I need to work on. A bad combination of introversion and a genuine dislike for most people in general.

However, there are signs that there's a hero of sorts brewing under the surface. There have been instances of me being with a group of people out in foreign territory when strangers accosted us. Without even thinking I forced myself between them and my group and told them to bugger off. Other times I get into an extremely altruistic mood and give my time & resources to others without thought of compensation.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I have the hero instinct, but more often than not I'm held back by whoever is with me. That said, I've not really witnessed anything while traveling alone to do any heroing, so maybe I am a bystander, and just want to be a hero.

I have to agree with what others have said with the whole "not being in that situation" thing. I have never been put in the spot to where i could help someone who was getting bullied or attacked.

Honestly, if i was put in that situation, i think i would be a bystander. I don't have the guts to even talk to people, let alone defend someone. I would like to be the hero, but it isn't in me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom