• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are we just...not getting Super Mario or Paper Mario?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
We're starting to reach the end of the Wii U's life, and we still haven't see a Paper Mario title or a Super Mario collectathon. Are we just not getting them this console generation?

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
I'd say that we're not getting a new Paper Mario game on the Wii U. We've had a Paper Mario game this generation, but it bypassed the Wii U in favour of being on the 3DS. Now there's a crossover(?) between the RPG series and the Paper Series called Paper Jam, but it too is a 3DS exclusive.

As for collectathons, we did get Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U, but Yoshi's Woolly World is much more of a collectathon game than 3D World was. Still better than nothing, though.

Dan

As Selicyc said, Super Mario 3D world was our Super Mario game for this generation. Bit of a shame but with ZD Christmas 2015 on its way I think we got something infinitely better. :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It just feels like we've gotten...so few games on the Wii U this generation.

Reactions: Dio

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
though think of it this way,the first paper mario came out in the final years of the n64,in fact the next generation console was already out by its release,hope for one isn't completely lost but i'm not exactly optimistic for it at the moment
as for a proper 3d mario title...yeah,my hope is severely dwindling for that too

to be honest,wii u's been kind of a bust with so few noteworthy games...that AREN'T rehashed

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
though think of it this way,the first paper mario came out in the final years of the n64,in fact the next generation console was already out by its release,hope for one isn't completely lost but i'm not exactly optimistic for it at the moment
as for a proper 3d mario title...yeah,my hope is severely dwindling for that too

to be honest,wii u's been kind of a bust with so few noteworthy games...that AREN'T rehashed
Yet we do have some very, very bright gems in this system.
Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, and Splatoon comes to mind...

But really, every single system has this problem with HD Remakes and rehashes. Hell, PS4 is still lacking in the games department in general(especially regarding exclusive games). The only thing that makes the Wii U stand out is the lack of 3rd party support in that regard. Yet even then, rehashes are still a huge problem in the videogame industry.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Yet we do have some very, very bright gems in this system.
Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, and Splatoon comes to mind...

But really, every single system has this problem with HD Remakes and rehashes. Hell, PS4 is still lacking in the games department in general(especially regarding exclusive games). The only thing that makes the Wii U stand out is the lack of 3rd party support in that regard. Yet even then, rehashes are still a huge problem in the videogame industry.
and those would be the few noteworthy titles,adding in pikmin 3,hyrule warriors (in a way),and a couple others
i suppose you're right about rehashes being more of an industry problem,i just put more focus on nintendo since it's the only 8th generation console im really interested in getting

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
and those would be the few noteworthy titles,adding in pikmin 3,hyrule warriors (in a way),and a couple others
i suppose you're right about rehashes being more of an industry problem,i just put more focus on nintendo since it's the only 8th generation console im really interested in getting
I completely understand. And trust me... I am disappointed with Nintendo as well. Ultra Smash and Amiibo festival just should have never happened. They clearly have so little work put into them it's disgusting.

But then you see Xenoblade X. It is ambitious with the largest designed videogame world in history(not to be confused with worlds that are randomly computed), one that turns the series to entirely new genre, completely changes to combat in more ways than one, and a whole new way of telling a story of a JRPG.

You have Splatoon, which gave shooters a completely "fresh" take on the genre.

You also have Bayonetta 2, which doesn't innovate a whole lot, but instead improves itself to be the best action game so far.

I can go on about other games and such, but I think it's unnecessary. The point is that there is both the good and the bad. Is Wii U my least favorite Nintendo generation? Yes. But it still has some of the best, most innovative games out there, even if they are sparce(especially now).

I still don't think any system could top the GameCube..... You really do have a hard time beating 3 finely crafted Zelda games, 2 innovative and amazing metroid games, a Mario collectathon, a new take on several series(luigi's mansion, crystal chronicles), new IP's, 2 fighting games with nintendo characters in them(soul caliber, melee), 2 console pokemon games, and plenty of power with the system as well.

As Selicyc said, Super Mario 3D world was our Super Mario game for this generation. Bit of a shame but with ZD Christmas 2015 on its way I think we got something infinitely better. :)
SM3DW plus New Super Mario U (with the New Super Luigi U DLC). So that's 2 Mario games on the WiiU.

Those are hardly a replacement for a proper 3D Mario game where you actually can explore.
It flat out isn't a replacement. Nintendo hoped it was on around the WiiU launch. Nintendo were flat wrong. NSMBU was not the console seller Nintendo wanted it to be. It would have been a nice later release while waiting for SM3DW or a nice 2ndary Mario release after SM3DW. But as a release title choosing NSMBU as the main 1st party title totally failed.

Reactions: Dio
After the 3DS bombed in early 2011, Nintendo needed to focus its efforts on recouping its losses for the handheld. It makes sense that Nintendo would sacrifice some resources for the Wii U to make sure their traditionally more lucrative portable market got off to a smooth sail after a rough start. A lot of people point to Nintendo underestimating the development time of HD games as a factor in why the Wii U had such a slow trickle of software until 2014, but the poor start of the 3DS was an equally, if not more, important factor.

As for the two franchises specifically mentioned in the OP, I definitely find it strange that Paper Mario came to the 3DS over the Wii U. The 3DS now has two Mario RPGs (soon to be three) while the Wii U has none. Reggie himself admitted recently that he would like to see more RPGs on Nintendo consoles. It's not surprising because most RPGs on Nintendo consoles from the N64 onward have been first party creations.

With respect to Super Mario 3D World, I'm upset that people don't like what it represents. It was a means to make 3D Mario more accessible to people who prefer 2D Mario. As someone who loves the faster pace of the 2D games, 3D Land and 3D World were fantastic. 3D World, in particular, was so creative in its level design. I especially love the carnival themed stages.

Sure, 3D World is less open than its 3D predecessors, but there is still lots to explore in each level with finding the three green stars and the stamp. If we want to be more specific about how open 3D Mario games are, I would rank them 64/Sunshine>Galaxy 1/2>3D Land/3D World. The Galaxy games were already a lot more linear than the likes of 64 and Sunshine that allowed the grabbing if stars or shine sprites out of order and generally allowed the player to do as he or she pleased within the confines of the level to earn a star. 3D Mario is so great because Nintendo continues to innovate. Even though Nintendo was more conservative with Mario this generation, I'm glad they didn't take the uninspired route and go with Super Mario Galaxy 3.

In the future, however, I do believe Nintendo should split Mario platformers into three distinct categories - 2D Mario, 3D gold star collection Mario, and 3D Mario that plays like 2D Mario - to please all fans.

Even though the Wii U has a fairly small library, the majority of the games that have released are great. I just hope this means the next Nintendo console will have a stacked line-up when the likes of single player Metroid, F-Zero, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Wario Land, and more return.

It's not surprising because most RPGs on Nintendo consoles from the N64 onward have been first party creations.
I would disagree with this. Here is a list of some of the non first party RPGs on the Nintendo consoles N64 and beyond.

N64
  • Quest 64/Holy Magic Century
  • Ogre Battle 64
  • Harvest Moon 64
  • Aidyn Chronicles
Gamecube

• Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
  • Baten Kaitos Origins
  • Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
  • Evolution Worlds
  • Lost Kingdoms
  • Lost Kingdoms 2
  • Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2
  • Phantasy Star Online 3

Wii

• Alien Syndrome
  • Arc Rise Fantasia
  • Dragon Quest X
  • Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
  • The Last Story
  • Opoona
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Wii U

• Alphadia Genesis
  • Child of Light
  • Citizens of Earth
  • Elliot Quest
  • Pier Solar and the Great Architects

I can't think of any more for the N64 and WiiU, maybe you can help me out here. Also I have probably missed out quite a few but I think you get my point.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Nope, it doesn't appear like they will, considering we already got a 3D Mario for Wii U and there's at least 2 Paper Mario related games for 3DS, I wish i was wring about that but i have a strong feeling that having too many Mario RPGs for the 3DS means they already got their "fill" of them for this generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom