• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Are there Too Few Guardians in The Overworld?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Guardians, as we all know, are "the new enemy" that was introduced in Nintendo's most recent Zelda game.

Despite them being crowded in certain spots, there really aren't many that are just around.

I, personally think for realism's sake, that there would be at least one or two guardians everywherer you looked, and think that they should have done that in Breath of The Wild to add to the realisticness and challenge.

What do you think?

Ninja

Well well well
I agree that there should be more Guardians hanging around, however they would need to be smartly placed. I don't want to stroll right out of Hateno, fresh out of the shower in my house and have to deal with a death laser and the heart stopping music coming my way.

It would be better to have more in them "in the wild" while you are exploring, and it would have been cool if they were elemental depending on the environment. For example, if you are exploring Hebra, you could have them camouflaged in snow or in ice, and their laser would freeze Link on contact. Near Death Mountain, they could be engulfed in flames, with their beams having a fire element and could set fire to Link's weapons.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I sort of like the way they were placed. You get a large number of flying guardians around that guard certain spots, and then stalker guardians being in the center of the map gives the player the impression that that spot is more dangerous, as it should be, because Ganon is lurking nearby. If they were everywhere, I feel like some players would be too stressed to explore, and other enemies fill up the space in the rest of the overworld nicely the way it's currently set-up. Each area feels like it sort of has its own "native" enemies, and I like that rather than having guardians all over the place, you get a feel that they're really native to some areas, which tend to be dangerous, and the player can choose to avoid said areas if they don't feel prepared.

It sort of evens out with all the rusted and demolished guardians you see around too. How many gosh dang guardians could there be??? :anger3d:

blitz_dragon

The Hero of the Wild
There are a lot of Guardians around the map, but most of them are inactive, which makes sense. These dead guardians make you feel like there used to be a lot of Guardians in the past, but by now most have rotted away, and this means fewer guardians which means that exploring is more fun to do.

Well ... If there were a lot more guardians from the start of the game (meaning all types), the game would likely be a bit too much in terms of difficulty. However, the end-game problem is that they are too easy. Between ancient arrows, stasis+, ancient armor with ancient proficiency, guardian/ancient weapons ... and your general ability to parry and just knowing how to deal with enemies late in the game, it's not really a challenge anymore.

So, my suggestion would be to have dynamically spawning guardians (not sure how to say it any differently)... Like, start the game just like it is ... but as you progress and level up, enemies generally scale up, right? Red --> Green/Blue --> Black --> Silver (and gold on Master Mode) ... so you COULD have the guardians scale up too, but I don't like that idea as much. What I would suggest is having MORE guardians start spawning in and around the entire world map.

Not sure how you'd "explain" it in terms of the logic regarding where they came from ... but I honestly don't need a real explanation. There's already so much "because, magic" in Zelda games, I'd be fine with it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
To be honest, I'm glad there weren't more in the game. I shied away from them for a long time in my first game because they freaked me out and I was not confident enough to take them on early. If there had been more, that would have been harder. I felt I encountered them plenty and it felt like there were more because of these sudden encounters.

Increasing the amount of Guardians would more fit with a Hard mode, not the regular game. They are pretty intimidating for new players, and the strength of this game is how it allows players to decide how much they want to take on.

To be honest, I'm glad there weren't more in the game. I shied away from them for a long time in my first game because they freaked me out and I was not confident enough to take them on early. If there had been more, that would have been harder. I felt I encountered them plenty and it felt like there were more because of these sudden encounters.

Increasing the amount of Guardians would more fit with a Hard mode, not the regular game. They are pretty intimidating for new players, and the strength of this game is how it allows players to decide how much they want to take on.

That's why I said the right way to do it would be to have them start like they do now, but have more spawn as you level up during the game. It could be just a few more added in key areas in Normal Mode ... but it could be a LOT more added everywhere in Master Mode.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Not really, guardians were made to guard places of strategic value such as Hyrule Castle and the Labyrinths and before i'm told the labryrinths aren't strategic they actually are depending on whether you're running through or on top.

If we had guardians left right and center it'd be a silly move just for the fact you'd get used to fighting them, the times when i see stalkers i still go around if i can due to the fact that i fight them so rarely they are still fairly challenging.

The decayed ones we see are even better placed because it makes you think a great fight took place there and this guardians is the only one that was left wounded but not slain.

Also could you imagine more skywatchers. Blech, i do think the fact you find some guarding the quarry where the springs of power is really is indicative of ganon's intelligence because he's infected the guardian of one of this springs got minions guarding the spring of courage and has the strongest guarding the spring of power, he expects link to visit these locations and set guards in place.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The overworld as a whole is way too sparse, but yes it would have been nice if Guardians spiced things up with a little more danger more often. Although upgrading their drop tables to incentivize killing them would be nice too.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I think they had just the right amount of them, but like Wiggum said, they're too easy now. They need to have fewer Achilles heels.

At the start of the game, guardians were really terrifying, and if I was caught by a walking one, I had better be on a horse or next to heavy terrain, because there was no way to survive on the open plain! I actually really liked the strategy of using the terrain, and it felt terrific when I first took on out! If I had good enough aim, a regular arrow in the eye could stun it if I was quick enough, and I'll never forget the chill I would get when I realized I took too long on my aim and missed. Rip.

Now, later in the game, it feels so wrote to been seen by one and to know that I can easily take the legs out with some ancient tech weapons, parry the laser back, or use ancient arrows as a last resort. And if I make a mistake, my ancient armor will likely stifle most of the hit anyway. All of these work in every situation, so it's no longer exciting; its as easy as wacking a stalfos' head.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I don't think they were too hard in the beginning... As long as you'd run to the side and diagonal in open terrain, you wouldn't get hit by the beam, but that's off topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom