• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are There Resident Evil Fans Who Sort of Enjoyed RE6?

So I've been kind of quiet on my thoughts about Resident Evil 6, mainly because a lot of my friends who play the game as well are big fans. They have been constantly nagging me for my opinion on what I thought about it but I still refuse to make a comment.
Anyway, it's a good game, a fun game. I loved that it was loaded with content and even though the pacing was weird because of the 3 campaigns plus Ada's, I still thought being able to play as a bunch of different characters was awesome and I hope they do it again for the next game.
Then, I still kind of find myself climbing back on the fence about it...

tumblr_mdbaggKr1D1qb1rzvo1_500.jpg

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"Sort of" enjoyed is a very big understatement, but understand this: I do not play modern Resident Evil titles (meaning, 4 onwards) for the story content. I just do not care about the story, because it doesn't mean much to me. Capcom has crafted numerous, interesting personalities (and even some uninteresting ones like, cough cough, Sheva Alomar) yet threw most of them aside. Where the hell is Barry Burton and Rebecca Chambers, as far as the story is concerned? Yeah, they're in Capcom's "One Shot Character Hell", apologies for the curse word. So yeah. RE6's story...I feel Jake's was all over the place, Leon's was almost right (there wasn't enough plight or peril, and Leon didn't have to make many gripping decisions IMO. It's nothing like REmake), and Chris'...let's just say it felt more like Resident Evil 5 than old school RE. But who am i kidding? I am no story analyst. I'd recommend you talk to, like, Turo602 or someone for that. :P

I'm no control analyst either, but FOR ME (read again: FOR ME, I don't know about YOUR the reader's experience), they were pretty fluid. I never felt the camera was wonky; I managed to make it work. Is the camera perfect? Nope. Are the controls perfect? Nope. Controls are never 'perfect'. But, I can say they weren't so flawed that the game was unplayable. It took some getting used to since its such a change from old school tank controls Resident Evil, but once I got past the learning curve things became smooth sailing.

I'm all about fun, and RE6 gave and gives me a lot of fun the odd chance when I get to play the game. The only game mode I play is The Mercenaries, because its practically endless, zombie bursting fun. I don't play Mercenaries casually; I'm very serious about what I do and if I get in a match with someone who doesn't know how to play, I am more than likely to rage quit. I know, I've talked about how bad people should still be allowed to play the game online...but when it comes to Mercenaries, you can't be lollygagging or even AFK for a split second. Getting a relatively high score is just crucial to my experience. So anyway, Mercs in 6 is radically different from 5, 4 or 3D; the maps are gigantic and the playstyle as a whole is just different. Instead of spamming melees out the wazoo to gain the high score, we instead have to rely on counters -- straight up melees only give you 5 seconds and they take away some of your stamina whereas counters give you 10 seconds and do NOT take up your stamina. I also find Mercs in 6 to be much more fast paced. Ammo reserves are much less forgiving in 6 compared to 5, and this is definitely why counters are crucial to the high score. I love it all. <3

Last edited:
I'm no control analyst either, but FOR ME (read again: FOR ME, I don't know about YOUR the reader's experience), they were pretty fluid. I never felt the camera was wonky; I managed to make it work. Is the camera perfect? Nope. Are the controls perfect? Nope. Controls are never 'perfect'. But, I can say they weren't so flawed that the game was unplayable. It took some getting used to since its such a change from old school tank controls Resident Evil, but once I got past the learning curve things became smooth sailing.

I'm all about fun, and RE6 gave and gives me a lot of fun the odd chance when I get to play the game. The only game mode I play is The Mercenaries, because its practically endless, zombie bursting fun. I don't play Mercenaries casually; I'm very serious about what I do and if I get in a match with someone who doesn't know how to play, I am more than likely to rage quit. I know, I've talked about how bad people should still be allowed to play the game online...but when it comes to Mercenaries, you can't be lollygagging or even AFK for a split second. Getting a relatively high score is just crucial to my experience. So anyway, Mercs in 6 is radically different from 5, 4 or 3D; the maps are gigantic and the playstyle as a whole is just different. Instead of spamming melees out the wazoo to gain the high score, we instead have to rely on counters -- straight up melees only give you 5 seconds and they take away some of your stamina whereas counters give you 10 seconds and do NOT take up your stamina. I also find Mercs in 6 to be much more fast paced. Ammo reserves are much less forgiving in 6 compared to 5, and this is definitely why counters are crucial to the high score. I love it all. <3
This this this this!
I really enjoyed the extension of Mercs this time around and it's the one thing that keeps me coming back. Also all the unlockable skills and content!

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I did not "sort of" enjoy Resi 6. I fudging loved Resi 6.

I'm quite the opposite to Ventus in that, for me, the story and single-player take precedence. In that respect I personally feel Resi 6 is arguably the pinnacle of the franchise, with a wealth of characters, some real drama, the best voice over in the series and some good writing for a change. I thought that the four campaign structure worked (but could be improved) and loved how each campaign gave you more insight into the whole story before using Ada's to neatly tie everything up.

The gameplay was just fantastic. I know many people have had issues with controls and camera but I honestly never once experienced any issues. Well, technically, I turned down the turn sensitivity when I first played but beyond that I did not need to make any adjustments whatsoever and the game played perfectly for me. I had no issue getting used to the refinements in the control scheme and even actions like the dodge and the cover system were very easy for me to grasp and utilise. Allowing you to move while shooting, reloading, healing, etc. as well as dodge and incorporate melee attacks without a prompt made the combat deeper, more satisfying and more engaging than in any previous title in the franchise.

Another criticism the game has received is in regard to its quick-time events. Once again, I genuinely felt the QTEs added to the game. You had to react fairly quickly to them which increased the tension of a lot of cut-scenes and actions. They helped keep me on edge for the duration of the game and I do think I would have enjoyed it less had they not been there.

I actually haven't played The Mercenaries on Resi 6 much because I got Dishonoured just one week later but what I did play was more intense and strategic than it was on Resi 5 or Mercs 3D. Knowing of his fondness for Mercs, I'd be willing to trust Ventus' opinion on it and what little I have experienced of it on Resi 6 does match up with his comments.

What I did play a fair bit of was Agent Hunt mode, in which you get to control monsters in other people's games. It can be tough at first, being a zombie or J'avo, but once you get a little used to what abilities you have and how people tend to play the game you can become quite good at tearing them to shreds. I tell you, taking control of a dog and pouncing on Leon is such a great feeling when you know there's another person on the other end who's day you just ruined ^^

Overall, Resi 6 immediately became one of, if not my favourite Resident Evil title yet. The game did not disappoint but instead exceeded my expectations enormously. It was my Game of the Year 2012 until Halo 4 came along. I absolutely adore it :)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I actually enjoyed my time with Resident Evil 6. As a game, it's a really fun experience. The thing about Resident Evil 6 though, is that its ambition is its biggest weakness. Out of the 4 campaigns, only 2 are solid, those being Leon's and Chris' campaigns. Jake's feels a bit forced and too experimental, meanwhile Ada's, while more enjoyable than Jake's, still feels a bit off. There are also times when the camera can feel buggy and even focus its attention elsewhere mid-battle. For example, if your partner becomes incapacitated, the camera shifts onto your partner, with the potential risk of you getting hurt. Sometimes it just happens to show you something "important", but just ends up making the player take unnecessary damage. It can be a real pain, but it doesn't happen too often, just in specific moments. My biggest gripe with Resident Evil 6, though, would have to be all the missed opportunities. No Alex Wesker? No Leon and Chris team-up?... what the hell?

Sure, that may sound bad, but Resident Evil 6 actually has a lot of positives as well. I mean, for one, I felt like this before I even got to the menu.

[video=youtube_share;QPsdxR0zzNE]http://youtu.be/QPsdxR0zzNE[/video]

Most epic prologue/intro before the guy says "Resident Evil 6" in that awesome voice. Anyway, the story, although a bit of a filler for the overall series, is pretty good. It's told through 4 different perspectives, with some of the most intense cutscenes the series has to offer. The dialogue is also a major improvement for the series. But Resident Evil 6's most amazing feat, is how it makes the last two entries feel hard to get back into. The gameplay is really that much better. We can move and shoot, control the character with both sticks, dodge roll, quick shot, and more. Sure, this may sound absurd for a game that used to be known for its horror, but it actually fits very well. It helps bring to life the feeling of being overwhelmed, which I consider the horror of the newer installments. There were plenty of times when I was being surrounded and knocked on my ***, but it didn't end there, I stayed on the ground and avoided all oncoming attacks the best I can, while blasting my shotgun at every stop. It kept the panic going, and when it was done and over with, I felt like a badass.

Other things I'm very fond of are the lighting effects. I mean, there were times when I got freaked out by my own shadow. The audio is also very amazing. The music was much more noticeable than it was in RE4 and 5. Even the menu music was memorable, it sounded like something straight out of Batman. Voice acting was also top notch, so much emotion.

But when it comes to the future of the series, I really want Capcom to deliver something scary and old school, while still being modern. It's really hard to believe that Leon or Chris will ever be in a horrific situation again, so why not take a break from the government and the BSAA and show us what someone like Billy Coen was up to? I really like what we have now, but every time I see Resident Evil 4, I can't help but think why it evolved into the action game it is today. Why couldn't they just build off of this?

[video=youtube_share;h_5kwX0LZAc]http://youtu.be/h_5kwX0LZAc[/video]

It was the perfect blend of old school and new school, and get this, it looked scary.

Last edited:

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
I thought it was a fun game. But, as I look back on RE6; I think Capcom should've pushed for this to be a "Spring" release. I know it sounds crazy, but they wouldn't have to worry about competing with other titles which would've put more focus into the game itself and the release of the multiplayer modes. RE was packed with a ton of content, but not everyone is a "story-type" gamer or a pro at playing the Mercenaries. Some players like blasting each other with rocket launchers or simply like playing together with their friends. But, anywho I thought the game was good. I had a lot of fun with the gameplay and getting to know the characters, but there are some things that "irked" me a little. The first being the story.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed. The story felt rushed and sloppy, and there were a lot of missed opportunities. Unlike Revelations, you really don't see how all of this began. Who started the events in Langshiang? Where was Ada in her opening cutscene? and even though you know how Chris ends up in the bar (thanks to the files), why didn't they show that in the game? And good grief, why didn't anyone know about the two "Ada's"? The missed opportunities, of course would have to be

- Alex Wesker
- Ada's lack of development
- Leon & Chris's crossover
- and the retirement of Chris himself. (Yeah, I said it. )

By the way, I liked the crossover sections and I thought it was really cool that you could play more than one campaign to see how everything came together. Hopefully, they will consider using this for RE7. The second thing that bothered me the most were the characters. I loved all of the new characters in 6 (except for Simmons), but it would've been nice if they had added some of their backstory to the game. Like they did with Sheva. Jake didn't share anything about his personal life with Sherry, nor did Helena. I guess I can understand when it comes to Piers, but still.... as a gamer who prefers story > gameplay, it would've been a nice break from all of the action. And the last thing that I have the biggest beef with is the unnecessary death of a certain character.

It was unnecessary. That is all. He had potential to be a regular protagonist and bring something new to the series, but they threw the idea away. Chris's story is finished and he even says so in one of his files if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing he talked to Jake or Jake doesn't care about Chris anymore since he's doing his own thing.

Sorry, but lately with the exception of Jill; I haven't seen Chris or Leon sacrifice themselves for anyone. And why do they keep killing off the male secondary characters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom