• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are There Any Popular or Critically Acclaimed Movies That You Hate?

exactly, that's why i find it rediculus whenever someone calls a movie original when really it's been done before, that's what i have against Avatar, that and it seems to try a little too hard to impress the audience with it's special effects, it's fine to see a lot of it but too much is too much

Garo

Boy Wonder
Oscars are far more arranged than you might think.

In the 30s and 40s awards were mostly given to either romantic dramas or war pictures.

Today, It's mostly indie films that get a lot of hype due to the classic "little film that could" cliche. Or period pieces.

Wall-E did deserve more, I think. But unfortunately, you'll see a lot of films that deserved more and didn't get it.

Blade Runner (the academy hates sci-fi), Raging Bull (they gave it to a first time director who happened to be a famous actor), Taxi Driver (Rocky got it because of the same reason), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (not theatrical enough), The Rules of the Game (it was foreign), you name it.

I know I replied to this post already, but it really got me thinking.

The Academy is old. Most of its members do not belong to the young demographic in any sense, and tend to vote in the direction of films targeting their demographic. That, I think, is why The King's Speech toppled The Social Network at the Academy Awards despite Social Network's sweep of the critics' and press' awards. The Social Network is a film that speaks directly to today's youth, whereas The King's Speech - though a great film - is typical period piece Oscar bait at its core.

But I see a light on the horizon. Younger actors, directors, editors, filmmakers in general are making their way up the ranks, scoring nominations, winning awards. The current Academy will soon be changed amid an influx of younger voters, giving films like The Social Network their proper praise. Perhaps soon, more open-minded voters will ensure that the truly BEST Picture wins Best Picture, not "Best Picture Designed to Win Best Picture".

As for Wall-E... the animation ghetto will forever ensure that films like Wall-E and Up never win Best Picture, despite both being the best picture of their year (and Toy Story 3 being very, very close behind Social Network). Pixar was sooo close to breaking out of the animation ghetto thanks to films like Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, etc. - but Cars 2 has broken essentially everything that they have accomplished. The animation ghetto will stay, sad as it makes me.

James Cameon's Avatar: The story and characters were awful yes, but I'm going to complain about the aliens. Everyone talks about it "takes you to a new world". No, it doesn't. The "beast" aliens are badly designed, and the Na'avi are blue hippies with inexplicable and evolutionally impossible magic. Not only having the same biology as humans, but are mentally and culturally the same. Bor-ing!

Transformers: Completely pointless, needlessly risque, and too short to tell any story on the premise.

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
Megamind: In my opinion, that chick needs to be replaced. She's almost always wrong. This movie was awful.........

Jedizora

:right:
Indiana jones: Raiders of the lost ark. I found it to be very boring, and the characters terrible. And then there's the plot. Nazi's are trying to control the power of god? I have nothing good to say about that.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Titanic, Twilight, Lord of the Rings, Avatar.
Avatar was OK. It was an overdose of effects, not that much story. (Basically someone doing a machine experiment.. and somehow, the forces got to the fantasy land) Characters where random, and that's it. I still like it though, and I enjoy making Avatar Na'vis of myself.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Some movies that I just can't stand to HEAR ABOUT are...

Twilight series - Okay, so it's enough to have everyone and their mothers coming to school and even into workplaces screaming "EDWARD" or the other guy's name, but being honest I found the acting and the plot in this series to be rancid. I mean, I dislike the idea of animal-human relationships, but this movie series just made it worse. Reading the books made me want to crush my brain, reconstruct it, crush it again, and repeat the process from step 1, which would be impossible as my brain would be rendered into dust. They're so bad, I can't even describe how bad they are.

Resident Evil Live Action series - Milla Jovovich coupled with the fact that every single movie has reused the same plotline from the games made the RE live action series really bad. A few things they did wrong were the lack of scare that the games somehow delivered (seriously, I got more scare out of the original PS1 RE release than all of the movies combined), too much placement on action (I think Resident Evil 5 had something to do with this), and well...reusing plotlines while adding other elements that honestly make no sense (the entire Alice character just makes me want to hurl).

Now this next one I'm joking with

Toy Story 3 - Seriously, you're going to end the trilogy like THAT? Pixar, you can do better. I know you can...

There's only one that really gets on my nerves:
1. Slumdog Millionaire: This movie was horrible. How it even got a nod from the Academy is beyond me, but everything about this movie: the plot, the format, the acting, was just mediocre and sub-par. Not to mention it was really boring, and most Best Picture Winners I can stay awake to, but not this one.

Runner-up:
Inception: Now, before you yell at me, I have seen the movie three times fully through. The first time I watched it with friends, and I left (my friends' house), thinking, "What on earth was that?" I was utterly confused, and I didn't like it at all. The next time I watched it on HBO, and I loved it. I understood it more, and the story made sense this time. Not to mention the acting really stood out, and people like Ellen Page did a great job. Then I watched it another time, again on television, and it really became, for me, at least, one of my favorite movies of all time. I realize how emotional the movie is, and I got deep into the side plot with Cobb and his wife, and I almost cried at the ending. Inception's really one of those movies you have to see more than once to enjoy, and I'm glad that I did.

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
Oh my god. Twilight. I have the same stupid argument as everyone else. "Vampires don't sparkle in sunlight, they burn!" >_<; Also, it just sucked. Horrible story. :P

I would have to say Avatar.

I was really looking forward to it,but what put me off was there was so much CGI.
Ok im not really a fan of CGI but this film had so much of it not a great story either.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
It's not original..

Schindler's List
It's story was amazing.. But I think there were some scenes that could have been just cut out and make the movie shorter.

I'm going to have to throw in a vote for Fight Club. I didn't get any enjoyment out of that movie at all.

KnowItAllBird

Hero of Time
Watchmen is amazing to watch after you've read the novel and are already in love with it.... You may recognize my avatar as Rorschach. I absolutely adore Alan Moore's work, he is actually one of my idols.

Please, do yourself a favor and read V for Vendetta. In my opinion, Its the greatest story ever told through the comics medium, but hey, its definately not for everyone.

And V for Vendetta the movie is utter trash : /

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom