• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are there any albums you love to listen to in their entirety?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
More often than not, I usually just go from song to song in my playlists without any specific order when I'm listening to music. But on somewhat rare occasions I just want to listen to an album from beginning to end, taking in every song in its intended order along with the mood and tone that is more easily discerned when an album is a full experience instead of something that's picked through and separated.

Albums that come to mind for me that are like that are Frank Sinatra's In the Wee Small Hours and Tatsuro Yamashita's Ride on Time. Both really benefit (in my opinion) from just sitting back and going with the flow of the music as decided by the artist.

Are there any albums that are like that for you?

Fig

The Altruist
For me, it has to be King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King and Red albums. I may be a bigger Queen fan but I usually tend to just play all the more iconic songs when listening to Queen. For whatever reason, when it comes to King Crimson I want to listen to all of the album(s). It probably helps that most of King Crimson's songs are mostly instrumental and are 7-12 minutes in length with a majority of each song just being instrumental.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Well, the only band that I own albums from and where I listen to generally all their stuff is NSP, so their albums. Specifically "Cool Patrol", "The Prophecy" and "Under the Covers (volume 1-3)".
They do have 3 earlier albums, but I don't have those

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Andy Mineo and Wordsplayed Present Magic and Bird by Andy Mineo and Wordsplayed. Andy Mineo is one of my favorite Christian rappers, but this one is just a ****posty basketball album and all the tracks are fun.

If I own a full album, chances are I do listen to it in its entirety from time to time. I love throwing a bunch of songs in a playlist and hitting shuffle, but sometimes I'm just in a mood for an album, you know? Any full album on my phone is probably up for grabs, when I'm looking to listen to albums straight through. Amaranthe's Helix, Rise to Fall's End vs Beginning, Temperance's Of Jupiter and Moons; anything by Serenity In Murder or Seraph In Travail are pretty routine hits for me.

I usually will try to merge singles into their eventual album so I can listen through the full album it was a release for if I end up getting it. But yeah, one thing that keeps me from listening to a full album is if songs are missing... like duh, that's obvious, but sometimes when I clean out my phone's music, I don't always leave full albums intact, or there's a chance I never owned every song on an album to start with. Being a fan of music on a budget is hard sometimes...

That said, of course there's albums that are extra special that I listen to through pretty routinely. Literally anything by Mechina that I have on my phone (always keep these albums intact, no questions) is my instant go to for full album binging. Front to back, their stuff in its purest is just meant to be listened to as a chronicle, and I'll often play multiple of their albums back to back go keep that tale going.

The moment I saw this thread title I pretty much opened up Mechina in my phone and I am now listening through As Embers Turn to Dust. ♥

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I usually just hit up YouTube, random Spotify playlists or my unorganised likes section when listening to music. A few albums I do like to listen all the way through from time to time though are Worlds by Porter Robinson, Adventure by Madeon, 35xxxv by One Ok Rock, and BOOTLEG by Kenshi Yonezu.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I almost exclusively listen to full albums. A huge chunk of my music collection is musical theatre and it doesn’t sit right with me to switch from show to show unless I purposefully listen to a compilation album by someone like John Barrowman, Alfie Boe, Michael Ball/Crawford, Kristin Chenoweth…etc…Musicals tend to tell a complete story from beginning to end and I would never read a fictional book out of order, so the same has always applied to those albums.

Elton John is another artist whose albums I’ll never shuffle, unless it’s one of the “best of” albums of his. Similar to musicals, his music generally has a different tone depending on the decade and album you’re listening to and I feel like I’m missing out of those are on shuffle.

Come to think of it, I don’t really use the shuffle feature at all. I’ll usually know exactly which musical, which soundtrack, or which artist I’m in the mood to listen to and will play that all the way through from beginning to end. If I do stop listening, I’ll actually resume the musical or album from where I left off the next time I listen.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Most of my music listening is in albums, so it is really hard to pinpoint a few. Some that come to mind that I adore as a whole album are:

David Bowie - ★
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
blink-182 - untitled/self-titled
Alkaline Trio - Crimson
The Beatles - White Album
Panic! at the Disco - Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!
Run the Jewels - RTJ4

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom