• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are the Zonai a race of ghosts?

I don't post many theories but the Zonai have got me smitten.

The Zonai are the most interesting aspect of Breath of the Wild and the upcoming sequel.

There are many unanswered questions about them and they seem to be more important than BotW itself lets on.

We know that the Zonai were a war-like race who could use magic and built a lot of monuments in relation to birds, boars and dragons.
We also know that they vanished from Hyrule over night due to a 'dark curse'.

We don't know what the Zonai look like and the barbarian armour doesn't give much away, we also don't know what effect the curse had on them other than making them vanish.

So, I theorise that the weird ghostly green arm clutching Ganondorf's chest in BotW's sequel trailer is the arm of a Zonai.

As far as I'm aware I don't think we've seen the golden jewellery the ghost arm wears anywhere before in Zelda. To me, the gold jewellery actually looks a little like the designs in Zonai architecture.

Zonai architecture uses swirls and sharp corners together to bring their designs together when carving birds and dragons and glyphs representing deities of the Faron region...

3Uo2oFL.png

Call me crazy but that gold jewellery has a bit in common with the Zonai architecture. The jewellery has sharp edges but it also has a swirl on the back of the ghost arm's hand...
sequel-to-the-legend-of-zelda--breath-of-the-wild---first-look-trailer-0-42-screenshot-1560273576980.png

Could they be connected?

It would make sense for Zonai jewellery to be similar to their architecture.

Another possible connection to the Zonai being ghosts is that of the Luminous Stones.

In BotW, the Luminous Stones are said to glow with the souls of the deceased, these things are all over Hyrule, just like the Zonai Ruins scattered across Hyrule.

In the sequel trailer we see bigger Luminous Stones near the Zonai carvings in the apparent underground where the trailer is set.

What if these underground Zonai ruins are part of a Zonai city or resting place and their souls are what are lighting the Luminous Stones, what if the 'dark curse' turned the Zonai into ghosts?

Or did the curse kill the Zonai and because the Zonai were talented magic users they managed to preserve their souls inside Luminous Stones?

The glow of the Luminous Stones and the ghost arm are the same colour, the ghost arm is seemingly near where both the Luminous Stones and underground Zonai ruins are and the jewellery is similar to the style of the Zonai's architecture...

Maybe I'm missing something terribly obvious to blow a hole in this, but right now this makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
And the curse was they wouldn't get to see tje sun unless a Princess saved them??

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm not sure if this game will focus on the Zonai, but if it does it could be cool I guess. Right now it's like there is a lot on the table that "could" be true, and right now there are a lot of theories floating around about the Zonai. This is certainly an interesting interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom