• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are the people of Outset Island related to the Royal Family and/or Knights of Hyrule?

There's some interesting things that point at this:

-It's the only place on the Great Sea to maintain Hero of Time worship, which would make sense as he is treated with great respect by the Royal Family, not to mention the fact that they were only able to take back their kingdom in OoT thanks to the help of the HoT, and the HoT is related to the Knights of Hyrule, as per HH.

-It appears to have a corrupted version of the RF emblem, with an upside down Triforce symbol and green objects that resemble the pattern of the feathers on the wings of the red loftwing on the RF emblem. Here's a comparison:

-Jabun has a close relationship to the RF, and Outset Island was the first place he went to after his home was attacked, as if he knew he'd be safe there. Also, Jabun is a descendant of Jabu Jabu as per HH, and Encyclopedia says that the RF was responsible for Jabu Jabu's care, so it would make sense for them to look after his descendant, no? This would explain him having traps and mechanisms set up for him around his cave.

-While this is minor evidence, and you can probably chalk it up to a gameplay mechanic, it does notably have a piece of the ToC(or a chart leading to one in the original GC version) inside of the Savage Labyrinth.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I mean, maybe distantly. It's difficult to say if there's a real connection, because it seems like most of Hyrule and its inhabitants were killed during the flood. If any of them are related, it's probably tangentially. It's the same kind of relation I have with people who share my name, but with whom I have no relation. If you go back far enough you'll probably find some relation, but not a meaningful one.

I mean, maybe distantly. It's difficult to say if there's a real connection, because it seems like most of Hyrule and its inhabitants were killed during the flood. If any of them are related, it's probably tangentially. It's the same kind of relation I have with people who share my name, but with whom I have no relation. If you go back far enough you'll probably find some relation, but not a meaningful one.

Not all the inhabitants perished. Some fled to the mountaintops.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not all the inhabitants perished. Some fled to the mountaintops.

Oh, some definitely did. That I will not dispute.

But Hyrule is supposedly a kingdom. It plays home to hundreds, if not thousands and tens of thousands of people. How many people do we see during the span of Wind Waker? A hundred? Less? There were some survivors, but the vast majority of the population was killed through divine intervention.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Obviously not all of them are, however I wouldn’t be surprised if as a culture they had evolved from the knights, even if none of them are direct descendants.

Even still, while it doesn’t directly link (ha) them to the knights of Hyrule, we know that Links family is directly descended from some hero of the past, if what Links Grandma said about the Hero’s Shield is true.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I've always believed that Outset Island is Ordon Village in the adult timeline, given the placement and architecture.
In fact, the Zelda Encyclopedia addresses this after noting that there's no similar place in OoT:
The Link of Twilight Princess grows up on the southern tip of a rural area near Ordon Village, another place that doesn't appear on Hyrulean maps from earlier eras. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess happen in similar eras in different timelines, just as Outset Island and Ordon Village are similar places in very different worlds ("Outset Island and Ordon Village," Encyclopedia 59).

I've always believed that Outset Island is Ordon Village in the adult timeline, given the placement and architecture.
I also wonder where the residents of Lon Lon Ranch went. Like, what mountains did they flee to? Shark Island? Naw, they probably went to Outset.

Whenever their isn't a Hero to fight off Ganon, he is held off by the knights of Hyrule while the sages seal him in the sacred realm turning it into the dark world. It's usually implied that Link was born from one of the knights.

The Hero of Winds did not have a hero before him. Although, sometimes it is implied that there was a boy who was felled in battle after The Hero of Time when Ganon returned. He could have been a Hylian knight that fought off Ganon.

Also, that boy might be based off of William Ætheling The son of Henry I. It's the tale of The White Ship Sinking, and the captain who chose to drown after seeing the King's Son die. Only one person survived, The Butcher, and this set of events caused the English civil war named The Arnarchy. The white ship could represent Hyrule sinking and along it, the next heir to the throne.

Interestingly enough is that also in the story of the white ship is William actually choosing to save a girl who was drowning. When he came back the people fled to his lifeboat, and it capsized, drowning William. It poses the question of wanting to live with guilt of letting another die, or attempt to risk your own life to save them.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think you have some good evidence, but you forgot some other key points, not much but they are worth noting:

• You already mentioned that on Outset they still revere the Hero of Time. In addition, it is the only village where there is still a culture of swordsmanship in general. Orca's family is possibly descended from knights.
  • Link's grandma has the only shield we ever see at any of the heavily populated islands.
The entirety of descendants from the Royal Family probably do not live on Outset, just the knights seem to have created a village there. We know with certainty that the noble portion of the Royal Family took to the seas as pirates, since Tetra is a descendant of Zelda and her entire crew are descendants of the nobles we see in the portrait in Hyrule Castle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom