• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are the Hylians Stupid?

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
In arguably the most famous cut-scene in Zelda history, Zelda and Impa are chased through Hyrule Castle by Ganondorf on horseback.

The only way out of the castle that would allow an escape over the drawbridge would be if they rode through the square in Hyrule Castle Town. Well, when you enter Hyrule Castle Town, the people are dancing, and buying stuff, and playing with chickens, and joking... their PRINCESS was CHASED out of the CASTLE by the LEADER of the GERUDO, a race of people who've held BAD RELATIONS with the HYLIANS for who knows how long; not to mention that a soldier is dying just off the main street! And they act like nothing has happened. Seriously? You'd think someone would be concerned.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
Umm... We don't know if OoT was planned in the same time as OoT. Where have we had problems with Gerudo before Oot? I'm guessing at least someone was concerned.

Well, it was dark when that cut-scene you mentioned happened. Most of the people would have been i their beds at that point, sleeping blissfully. The others who were up probably wouldn't be surprised to hear horses going by outside, because it is a medieval town. They wouldn't necessarily know about Ganondorf's attack until he conquered the castle.

As for the dying soldier, maybe no-one went back there much?

So no, I don't think Hylains are stupid, they just didn't know what was going on.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
But you can get that cutscene in the middle of the day, the sky just dims, and a storm cloud rolls over, but as soon as you enter Hyrule Castle Town, it's daytime.

And the Hylians did have bad relations with the Gerudo, that's why Ganondorf was there in the beginning of the game: to show alegience, or at least good will, or something, to the King of Hyrule, but then he betrays him anyway. I hope that answered what you were saying, bellum... but I'm not really sure if I answered your question... er... thought... statement...

Oh, and I just realized that the sidestreet actually has a guy standing no more than 5 feet away from the dying soldier. He's standing at the end of the alley, and the dying soldier is right there.

We could just give the "It's just a game" answer, but that's never any fun is it?

I always thought that maybe the citizens knew they should mind there own business. I disagree with you about the Gerudo. The King obviously trusted Ganondorf, and I would guess that Ganondorf visited the town quite frequently. So if the Princess is riding on a horse out of town, followed by a man who apparently has earned the King's trust, I would just think, "Well, none of my business...."

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
So if the Princess is riding on a horse out of town, followed by a man who apparently has earned the King's trust, I would just think, "Well, none of my business...."

I think you've hit the key point here. I often forget that Ganondorf had earned the King's trust in OoT. It's too easy to fall back to the idea that he's just evil.

If Ganondorf hadn't earned the King's trust, and I was a citizen of the town, I think if I saw this kind of thing happen, I would mind my own business and pretend I didn't see anything in case Ganondorf came back to deal with anyone might might have saw anything. (Although I might do so from my locked house, and not while dancing in the street...) :P

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
Well, when you enter Hyrule Castle Town, the people are dancing, and buying stuff, and playing with chickens, and joking... their PRINCESS was CHASED out of the CASTLE by the LEADER of the GERUDO, a race of people who've held BAD RELATIONS with the HYLIANS for who knows how long; not to mention that a soldier is dying just off the main street! And they act like nothing has happened. Seriously? You'd think someone would be concerned.

I don't think they really knew anything about what goes not in the castle. And don't forget the king trusted Ganondorf at the time.

The technical reason would most likely be that memory limitations prevented them from showing the full effects of Ganondorf's betrayal.

You do get some townspeople saying "What happened!?" and stuff like that, so they are aware of it (or at least some of them are). They're probably just too afraid to stand up to him (the black horse and ominous storm are telltale signs that you should back away), or they are unaware of the full situation, as Ganondorf had previously sworn allegiance to the king of Hyrule. I don't think he tried to destroy buildings or do anything like that, so they might have thought they were off on some sort of royal business.

So, bottom line is the Hylians are stupid.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
The Hylian are a jolly bunch. They see their princess being chased by a green man on a demonic horse? So what? They've got their liquor. They were happy up until they were turned into redeads. They're probably still happy. I mean... look at how those redeads attack.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Well, if you did it during nightime, all the Hylians were asleep in their beds, and if it did it during the day time in Ocarina of Time, well, like others have said, look, the guys who pledged allegance and the princess, so what? None of my business.
They're probably still happy. I mean... look at how those redeads attack.
Yuck! :sick:

Amelie

Air Dancer
Threads like this are sooo funny! Well... its not that its a game. Its that the programmers did not take the time to make the towns people stop what they are doing.

They could have had them stand around and when you talk to them maybe they could be confused or panicked or something. Its not that the Hylians are stupid.. its that the programmers goofed ^^

They could have had them stand around and when you talk to them maybe they could be confused or panicked or something. Its not that the Hylians are stupid.. its that the programmers goofed ^^

Either that or they just didn't have the time or ability. Keep in mind this game was one of the first 3D games Nintendo had done, so they probably overlooked some of the small details because they just didn't have the ability to fill them in.

Amelie

Air Dancer
And dont forget how small the N64 cartridges are. There is probably stuff in the game that they had to take out because it did not fit. The game Doom 64 has missing monsters because they could not fit. And that is why the Playstation version has way more levels and all the monsters.. CD ROMS =D

So yes... they might have over looked it... or forgot it... or it did not fit.

link to present

Four Year ZD Member
Threads like this are sooo funny! Well... its not that its a game. Its that the programmers did not take the time to make the towns people stop what they are doing.

And you are proable correct, but who knows:nod:>.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom