• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are the 6 sages dead in Ocarina of Time?

I just got done watching a video called "Ocarina of Time - 20 Years of Perfection". Around the 13 minute mark, the commentator is talking about the sages and gives an assumption that they're dead. Is this true? Or were they transported to the sacred realm? This whole time I assumed they simply became sages, but they weren't "dead".

Supports/assumptions on this theory:

1.) Rauru - the only thing I know about Rauru apart from the sacred realm is that he's also Kaepora Gaebora, the owl. His owl form is probably the equivalent to a ghost or spirit, maybe reincarnation?

2.) Saria - She could've died while exploring the Forest Temple while waiting for Link, it's guarded by wolves after all.

3.) Darunia - The last time Link sees him, Link has a long conversation with him, and then Darunia enters the boss room. Volvagia could've eaten him.

4.) Ruto - The last time you see Ruto, she tells Link they're fiance's and whatnot and ventures into the water temple. Link never sees her after this even after going to every room. She could've died from the monsters.

5.) Impa - All Link knows is that Impa went into the Shadow temple alone, he gets this information from the people of Kakariko village. She easily could've died from falling or any of the monsters/traps in the temple.

6.) Nabooru - The last time you see her, Koume and Kotake zap her and it makes her disappear. The only reason she could've survived is because the sisters say something along the lines of "let's keep making her work for the great Ganondorf more". So, in that case, why would they kill her? Was that their plan?

Also, at the end of the game, Mido and King Zora are seen looking down, seemingly depressed or mourning. Mido was a close friend/admirer of Saria and obviously King Zora was Ruto's father, so it wouldn't be a surprise they'd be mourning. After this, the sages are seen watching over the party instead of joining.

What do you think?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would guess sages can't be dead or else they would be immortal spirits and wouldnt be able to be killed again. As we see in Twilight Princess. It is very possible to kill a sage and that they die for good.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I never really took it as the 6 sages died, I just feel like their roles as sages require them to basically disconnect from the world in order to serve the cause.

I've seen theories that they are dead before, but I have disagree with it. Take Wind Waker as an example, Ganondorf killed the Earth and Wind Sages and it caused the Master Sword to lose the power to repel evil. In Twilight Princess we see 5 sages, Ganondorf killed one when they were trying to execute him. To be a Sage, it seems one has to be alive, but I feel like the position is one of sacrifice. Sort of like how in religion Monks lead a life of seclusion, sometimes they make vows of silence, and they chaste themselves. Maybe with the world of Zelda, being a Sage is similar?

I don't think they are dead. Wind Waker's sages had to be alive to perform their duty, so I think the same for the ones in OoT. Speaking of WW, isn't Laruto thought to be a descendant of Ruto? I also seem to recall them appearing together at the end of OoT looking over Hyrule. As for Mido and King Zora looking sad, well of course that would make sense. Mido had a strong 'admiration' for Saria. Ruto was King Zora's daughter. My thinking is they will have to remain in their respective temples.

I don’t believe in multiple timelines per say. I think they only had to be sages until time resets and goes back into the child era.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In WW when the sage died, another one was called. As we know from OoT all sages- to- be characters dwelled around the dungeons/temples already when you first met them. What I think more likely happened is that when the sages before them died, they went inside the Temple to find out what happened and might be called to their duty. Waiting for the Hero to arrive and help them out. Only then to be freed and develop fully as a sage.

The MS sages died in TWW, and new sages had to take their place.

The ALBW sages went back to their lives afterward.

I'd say no.

The Ancient Sages were most likely killed in the AT and DT by Ganondorf after he entered the Sacred Realm, (considering we see them in the CT with the same symbols as the OoT ones, and Rauru is the only one left when Link woke up) hence why the OoT ones had to be awakened in the first place.

If you could be a sage after death, why even awaken new ones?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom