• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Super Mario and LoZ in the same universe?

Are Super Mario and LoZ connected?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 75.0%

• Total voters

kikwi_lopsa

give me the cucco nuggets
i dont think they are they may be from the same person and they may have easter eggs (such as happy mask salesman's mario mask and the yoshi doll and many others) but thats just what i think in fact they could but i'll have to say no

Link himself was sleeping at that one inn in Mario RPG, I'd say that's as definite as it gets
Which Mario RPG was it? Do you remember?

I've played virtually every single one and don't remember seeing Link in any of the Mario RPG games.

Of course, I assume you mean the Mario and Luigi RPG series because that's the only Mario RPG I can think of other than the '80s one which is unrelated.

I'd like to start by saying Dr. Wily plagiarises MarioWiki and so I didn't watch the video. (Lol, I'm listening to the MM7 soundtrack rn and just got the the Wily Castle songs, what a coincidence, also those songs are the best in the game, but anyways...)

The answer is yes... kinda. I mean, we see the two universes collide on various occasions outside of Smash (which is about a kid playing with toys, so it doesn't count in any discussion outside of very rare circumstances). Link's Awakening features various Mario characters, but that was all a dream... and so was Super Mario Bros. 2, so perhaps Koholint and Subcon are in some kind of connected dream dimension? Makes sense to me. The Mario series has never been very consistent with it's canon (which is why MarioWiki abandoned the concept of canon entirely), so perhaps Club Nintendo and similar occurrences wouldn't count in this discussion, but as mαrkαsscoρ said, Link appears in SMRPG, and he also appears in the Donkey Kong Country games. We also saw Link in Mario Kart, but that has its own discrepancies with the canon, with Baby Mario and Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina and so on, so forth. There's also Mario's various cameos in ALttP and OoT as a painting, but since those are set "three or four generations" apart, I don't see how there could be any connection, unless Mario has a time machine... oh wait...

I think connecting the Nintendo universes is a really interesting concept. I really like how minor references can sometimes imply some big connected universe sometimes. Like with Link and Samus in SMRPG, Samus in Kirby's Dream Land 3, Mario and other Nintendo stuff in Kirby Super Star, et cetera. But really, I don't care either way.

What do you mean when you say that Dr. Willy plagiarizes the Mario Wiki? Would he not derive all of his information from the games that he has played? You seem to be implying that Dr. Willy has not played any of the games and is simply looking everything up on the Mario Wiki to lend credence to his videos. Even if he was conducting research that in itself is not a bad thing so long as he accredits the Mario Wiki and any other sources he has used.

However, like SMS said, Link's Awakening is a dream, so I think that's discredited. However, the Oracle duology are not dreaming scenarios, and we do see Mario enemies crop up in various dungeons, so it does imply a physical bridge between the Mushroom Kingdom and Holodrum/Labrynna, at least. Potentially, this means that the Mushroom Kingdom, Holodrum and Labrynna could be on the same continent at least. I have not played a Zelda game that has Mario enemies in Hyrule, however.

I think some aspects of the various Nintendo franchises could be loosely connected, but only through the Nintendo multiverse. It could be why the characters all appear together in the Smash series.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
What do you mean when you say that Dr. Willy plagiarizes the Mario Wiki? Would he not derive all of his information from the games that he has played? You seem to be implying that Dr. Willy has not played any of the games and is simply looking everything up on the Mario Wiki to lend credence to his videos. Even if he was conducting research that in itself is not a bad thing so long as he accredits the Mario Wiki and any other sources he has used.
Every time he uses the phrase "charged with" then you know he's reading directly off of MarioWiki. (They used that phrase far too often back in the day). And I do not recall him crediting MarioWiki at any point in time, though I suppose I could be mistaken. Obviously, Wily has likely played at least a few of the games, I'm just saying most of the content in his videos isn't original.

Last edited:

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I don't think there's any real reason to conclude that they take place in the same world. Mario and Zelda don't appear to take place in settings with any real similarities.

I've played virtually every single one and don't remember seeing Link in any of the Mario RPG games.

Of course, I assume you mean the Mario and Luigi RPG series because that's the only Mario RPG I can think of other than the '80s one which is unrelated.
He's referring to the game called Super Mario RPG (that's actually the full title) for Super Nintendo. In it, you can find Link and Samus sleeping in beds in the inns. It's a very fun game, probably my favourite Mario game.

You're forgetting R.O.B in StarTropics and Zelda, Kirby-like enemies in Zelda, Link in DKC, Metroids in Kid Icarus, and Samus in Mario.

Unless we're going full blown Captain N with this, its really just fun cameos Nintendo likes to put in.

But its fun to speculate.

Magolor04726

Hum dee doo
Link was in Super Mario RPG: Land of the Seven Stars.

Toon Link was originally planned to give Mario and Luigi the Great Force (It's a fat Triforce that doubles damage given and recieved when equiped) in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga but was cut along with Olimar, Wario, and other guests in favor of Professor E. Gadd. (More info here.)

Beyond that, I can't think of anything else that would indicate a tie between the two. Besides, LoZ has some deep lore. Lore? In my Mario? Ha!

In all seriousness, it's not impossible, but more than likely their ties are limited to Smash Bros. and the occasional reference or resemblance. (I do remember Fracktail from Super Paper Mario saying I AM ERROR after getting zapped by Dimentio.) That's just what I think.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
If I had concrete evidence suggesting the two were linked, I would be more likely to believe it. But rn most of this evidence is circumstantial- like if I said "Wario and Waluigi have pointy ears, they must be Hylians!" Thats not deducing, thats presuming.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs

whoa, how was I never notified for this?

Super Mario RPG for SNES, in one of the inns you can find him just sleeping in the bed, it came out in '96 also

whoa, how was I never notified for this?

Super Mario RPG for SNES, in one of the inns you can find him just sleeping in the bed, it came out in '96 also

Hahaha, yeah, I ask myself the same thing. I created this thread about two years ago, maybe, and I was never notified for half of the comments appearing on it.

Ah, yes, that's something I'll have to look into if I ever get around to playing that release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom