• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are some of Zelda's characters too purile?

Purile, childish, silly and immature...

I cant help but look at recent Zelda games and see an increasing number of characters who have either purile personalities or are just made absolute jokes out of and it is starting to bug me.

I think it started in SS with Ghirahim and how his character was just... not good. Fabulous, angry, fabulous and more angry.

But then you have the ALBW cast which almost all felt as if they were a parody of ALttP. Ravio is a joke, Yuga is a fabulous Ganondorf which makes me think someone on the design team asked 'what would Ganondorf look like if Ghirahim was his dad?'

Likewise in BotW Master Kohga is just a punchline to the Yiga.

I think the Yiga could have been a very dark inclusion to Zelda lore. Anti-Sheikah intent on murdering the monarchy. More sense than mindless monsters which usually serve Ganon but no. They were a joke and how Kohga was handled was so immature and just robbed the Yiga of all threat.

Then we have the entire cast of Tri Force Heroes...

Does anyone else feel this increasing sense of immature and jokey characters?

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I gotta agree here mostly about recent years, i really didn't like how TFH went for hamfistedly jokey characters, especially how the The Lady is treated, she don't even merit an actual name and everyone bemoans about how the big bad just made a fashion curse OH NO YOU CAN'T BE FASHIONABLE.

Yiga clan could've been something great and it fell flat, kohga felt gimmicky, like they were testing functionality for the ability to control metal objects and he reminded me alot of zant yet another semi jokey character, we have these big bad honchos of their organization and they are prone to temper tantrums and fits? I think not.

ALBW is literally a spin on ALTTP a more "modern" take on the classic hence we needed the art degree student, the capitalist and the idealist which really goes to show art students are to be reviled the world over.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Nah, just a lack of Tingle so someone has to make up for him not being present and make us remember him.

The fabulous Ghirahim = Tingle when you need him to decipher something
The joke Ravio = Tingle selling stuff to you
The childish Yuga = Tingle when you won't buy his stuff
TFH = Tingle who thinks he got fashion, style, the looks
Even Zant represents Tingle when being crazy as ****....so shoot the Balloon and kill him off!

Hydef Hyrule

HD and beyond
Yes, definitely started in TP. Maybe the initial influence of the twilight is grotesque mutations of the Hylians. The guy with the flat top and thick arm hair in Ordon Village has got to be the worst character design of them all, and thats saying a lot.

SS was even worse. My heart sank seeing Groose for the first time. This feeling setting in "This is what Zelda is now?" Then Fi, the Moblins, the Fisher Price robots, ugh...

BOTW is a step in the right direction in a lot of ways, but some of the cutscenes are so cringey. In English anyway. We knew that Nintendo's first go at VA was going to be cheesy, but man. The cutscene of the Ruto girl talking to Link after you beat that Divine Beast had me lunging for the mute button. Thank god they patched in the Japanese VA option. Not saying the Japanese is necessarily better acted, but I can't tell so that's a huge improvement.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Ghirahim was a great character and I loved his personality. Ba to worse is the best kind iof character arc

but yeah it started with Zant for sure, and I don't usually appreciate this kind of character

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
cef498a6c25ff517d03cd83be726dd1d1aa3b867_hq.gif

Immature characters can be used as comedic relief in the story or maybe one of those optional side NPCs, kind of like Tingle in Majora's Mask, you come across him but you don't have to initiate anything to progress in the story, and he's only of use if you want to buy maps of that region. Personally I've always disliked Tingle, basically every character in Skyward Sword, the goofy kids from Ordon Village in Twilight Princess, etc. Every Zelda game has these characters, some of them are funny and enjoyable but other's are god awful. Groose in Skyward Sword wasn't just puerile, he was a pervert, and very unlikeable. I kinda like Zant and Ghirahim to an extent, they're both flamboyant, immature, and disrespect personal space - but that made them more intimidating in a way because they make you feel uneasy.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It...has gotten over the top, yeah. I really don't like it with villains. It started with MM and continued with TP, but that wasn't so bad. Majora's Mask was just an underdeveloped villain and Zant at least had a reason for going insane. Then we had Ghriahim who was weird for the sake of being weird. Same with Cole and so on. Zelda's always had some humor in it, but since tWW it feels like they can't be arsed to take anything seriously anymore.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The series no longer takes itself seriously. I liked the fact that there were quirky and mostly subtly insane characters as part of a serious plot but now everyone is over the top. It takes away the shock of having someone really OTT like Ghirahim or when Zant shows his true colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom