• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Side Quests and Mini Games Really About the Reward?

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
Reading what Mases wrote on Tuesday, a couple of thing he said got me thinking:

“Too many times in recent games such as TP, PH, or ST, I found myself entrenched into an interesting mini-game or a secret cave in the overworld, only to find that the end result is some lousy rupees or a random piece of a treasure.”

Personally I disagree, for me the side quests and mini games are not there to provide you with an important item, the dungeons do that with the dungeon item. They are there to give you something else to do, the rupees or piece of a treasure are just there as an excuse to have it. Also if you want a motive to continue with a high quest until you have everything, or a mini game until you have a really high score, rupees work perfectly, the better you do the more rupees you get. Yeah I know that for the most part rupees are worthless but like I said, they are only there as an excuse to have the mini game.
Personally I really enjoyed the Star game in TP so I continued to play that even after I got the reward, and even after I got 50 gold sultanas in OOT, I still continued to look for them just to see how many I could get.

Back when video games first became popular with the Atari 2600, most of the games had no end. It was just a question of how high a score you could get, giving the game ideal replay value. I really enjoyed the star game in TP, so I continued to play it even after I got the reward. Likewise in OOT even after I got 50 gold Skulltulas I continued to collect them just to see how many I could get.

I find it kind of funny how with some of the first game to have endings on the NES, people moan that the ending sucks and say something like “I did all that work for this”. That’s unbelievable, referring to playing a video game as “work”. The correct phase would be “I played this video game for the satisfaction of knowing I beat it”. If people only played video games for the sake of beating them, why then do people continue to play the original Zelda even today? Likewise mini games are about the experience and enjoyment of playing them, not the reward.

I think about it. If the reward was really important to the quest or even mandatory, the lazier players would probably moan about having to do it.

Not that I've liked all the side Quests and mini games. The rabbits in ST, were one of the worst side quests I’ve ever seen in Zelda. I think they were trying to combine a mini game with a side quest. But the mini game seems to be just luck whether you get the rabbit or not. That’s not fun for me, is was just annoying when you couldn’t catch it. Also with a collectable, I don’t want to have to do more work once I’ve found it.

“Even worse the mindless quiver and bomb bag upgrades. I don’t think I’ve ever had a shortage of either bombs or arrows in Twilight Princess, so why do they insist on offering me a quiver upgrade that holds 100 arrows? Are we really abusing our arrows so much that we need 100 of them? I really wouldn’t mind these upgrades… if they had other collectible items that were interesting. Twilight Princess didn’t really have this at all. In fact, off the top of my head the only real ‘optional’ items I can think of from Twilight Princess are the Magic Armor and the Hawkeye. Hardly two things that I was excited with joy to use.”

I pretty much agree there. I don’t mind having a quiver upgrade that holds 100 arrows but I defiantly don’t need it. There are also a lot of things you do that can’t really be call side quests or mini games where I would expect a better reward. The bomb bag you get in TP for freeing that Goron seemed pretty pointless to me, that defiantly can’t be called a mini game and the reward was worthless. Either give me a mini game I can enjoy again and again, or a reward worth having.

The trading sequences would be the perfect example, some might call that a side quest, but a side quest for me is a collectable and a question of “how many can you get?” The boomerang in LA was a good reward, the Magic Armor in TP was not. But it could have been if it didn't use up rupees so freaking fast and didn't slow you down otherwise. If it didn't slow you down, you could just wear it the whole time and rupees would suddenly become really useful!

Last edited:

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I never really worried about the side-quests and all that because little rewards didn't really help you all that much. I felt that 10 or 15 Rupees did you no good. So, I just kind of stopped with that.

octorok74

TETTAC
I love doing sidequests, because they make you travel. Mini-games I do for fun, because all you usually get is something small. Now I love mini-games where you earn an upgraded item, because that upgrade I more then likely need. The bombchu bowling game in OOT kept me interested, because you always win a good prize. So, sidequests are awesome for seeing all of Hyrule and mini-games are awesome if they offer something nice in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom