• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Nintendo Games Truly Rehashes?

It seems whenever someone brings up a Nintendo franchise, theirs going to be somebody or a group of people who will call out Nintendo and say that " ( Insert game here) is nothing more then a Rehash and they should stop making them".
in that way of thinking, would every series like halo, mettle gear solid, killzone, etc also be coincided a rehash?
Now to make it more clear on what the definition of a rehash is i looked up in the dictionary, the definition of " rehash" is

" put (old ideas or material) into a new form without significant change or improvement."

So, are Nintendo games really rehashes?
I honestly don't think they are.

Besides the NSMB series (yes, I admit this), I really don't think Nintendo games are rehashes at all. Despite every new installment released, there's always something new added to it. You could say the same towards other franchises like Kingdom Hearts or Ratchet & Clank, for example. As for why I think NSMB is the only rehash series from Nintendo is because the games really don't add anything new to them (sure NSMB Wii had multiplayer, but still).

It's difficult to say really, I would say that most Nintendo games put old ideas or materials into a new form and significantly change and improve those ideas, A prime example of that would be A Link between Worlds. It reuses a fair amount of content (technically speaking) but changes and improves the experience of the game for the better. In that sense, their outstanding Rehashes? I do think that some recent titles are indeed actual rehashes, like New Super Mario Bros 2 + U, but a huge majority of Nintendo games are improvements of old content and a handful of them are brand new.

Last edited:
No technically most Nintendo games aren't rehashed, but they hold onto and redevelop old ideas and concepts improving them, this sets those ideas/concepts out side the definition of rehash.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yes, they do rehash, but rehash is not an inherently flawed thing and typically the issue I feel is people instantly go defensive about anyone saying this about Nintendo when they don't really need to because it's not an insult. A rehash does not mean 'bad', it just means re-using ideas without significant change, the significant part being the key offender here which people miss out, and anyone who says Nintendo does not do this is letting their affinity for them cloud their decision.

New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros DS, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Luigi Bros, whatever they're all called. Then all those previous games those games are based on. How many times have we got the hookshot in Zelda? The boomerang? I could go on and on. And people will argue that they still change their uses around and do new things with them but this content is still constantly re-used and the definition of a rehash, as I said, is something without significant change, and Nintendo's franchises are absolutely littered with things that fit that description, most of them at their very core. The hookshot between OoT, MM, TP, and SS may have had some different uses but it was still the same item with the same basic premise.

So once people get out of their heads that rehash is an inherently bad thing, then we can have a mature discussion about it and yes, I do think many Nintendo games are rehashes. There's been some change, but most games still follow almost point for point, as if Ninty's developers have a list of things they must include, the same basic point and premise. Nintendo's games arguably have more quality than a lot of even younger titles but they still ride the same franchises and the same formulas and just changing a few things up here and there. Probably because they don't want to rock the boat, afterall why would they, and fans don't want them to either, so I'm not knocking it. Objectively, at least.

As long as their games are selling and as long as fans want it, well, they can rehash all they want can't they? Many franchises rehash, it's kind of what they have to do, keep the same feel but still be creative and innovative with each iteration. As long as brand new content over-shadows rehashed content, it's never really a problem. Rehashing provides consistency and stability of a franchise's core gameplay but doesn't inherently throttle creativity within the game too. It's only when it all begins to stagnate and comes to a big full-stop that I feel it's really a bad thing and rehashing becomes a problem. Some people don't mind that, some people just want more more more and they're entitled to it, and the industry are entitled to provide for them as long as they do want it. Call of Duty is a prime example. People hate on it but people want it, so why shouldn't Activision keep making it? But it's when creativity and innovation is starved and the excitement is gone that rehashing finally becomes a bad thing, and that's when scores drop and sales die and then the franchise either needs to really re-invent itself or finish. A good developer will stop or re-invent the formula before that point ever hits, though.

So my conclusion is yes they are rehashes, either as a whole or constantly re-use many of the same elements from previous titles, but that alone does not mean they are bad. Skyward Sword, for instance, I thought was a bad game period. I did not think it was bad just because it re-used old ideas, I just thought it was a bad game for some poor design decisions and more. I may personally feel the rehashing of content has made me grow a bit bored of some elements of Nintendo's games, but if the fans want it and they're still selling then I'm definitely not knocking Nintendo's strategy. However, other publishers manage to still push out the same games while also having time to create new franchises too. I feel Nintendo needs to invest in the latter, and set their A-Team of devs like Retro off the lead and let them go wild.

Last edited:

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I'll just say this in the nicest way possible:

Yes.

Nintendo games.

Are.

Rehashes.

I have yet to see something new that I haven't seen before in a Nintendo game. You can flame whatever. You can't change what I think about Nintendo.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Was Donkey Kong a rehash? Legend of Zelda? Mario Bros.? I could go on like this all day.

We have to realize that Nintendo is an older company than most in this market. So many original games have come from Nintendo that this question seems pointless. We have a tendency to look at the here-and-now so much that we forget how long Nintendo has been around for and somehow have been able to innovate enough to still be an important part of the market today.

What video games does Sony make? Microsoft? How many are those rehashes (if there are any)? Nintendo doesn't make many original games anymore, but they do make games which sell enough for the general public to know that they were made by Nintendo.

Third party companies are where games are coming from for the most part, especially with Sony and Microsoft. When we look at this it all makes too much sense.

The more different parties involved the more likely the games will be different.

That is why we don't see too many original games coming out of Nintendo, they don't have as much third party involvement. Nintendo is known for being quite exclusive when it comes to how they do business with third party companies. Nintendo has an image they want to keep and they don't want to make a mistake and ruin this image. Sony and Microsoft don't have that, they'll allow just about any company to make a game for them that they think will sell well.

So what if Nintendo is lacking (mostly when it comes to sales) lately? They've proven multiple times that they are a powerful force in gaming and we shouldn't abandon them because of a few bad years.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'll keep it short:

A lot of gaming companies, well those who release on an annual basis more so, do tend to make rehashes. If the formula works and the game is selling then why drastically alter it? This is my main argument to support Call of Duty; it's successful on a massive scale and there's not much they can branch off into - thus they switch up a few mechanics, give it a polishing, introduce some new things, and make it bigger than the last. Nintendo tend to do the same, but I wouldn't necessarily say all their franchise are rehashed. The ones that are more so stay similar it it's predecessor for A: It sells and/or B: there's nothing much else to expand upon.

It's not necessarily bad nor is it exclusive to Nintendo as a company; this happens a lot and I don't see the big deal with it.

Last edited:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
... where?

If you open your eyes

I'll keep it short:

A lot of gaming companies, well those who release on an annual basis more so, do tend to make rehashes. If the formula work's and game is selling then why drastically alter it? This is my main argument to support Call of Duty; it's successful on a massive scale and there's not much they can branch off into thus they switch up a few mechanics, give it a polishing, introduce some new things, and make it bigger than the last. Nintendo tend to do the same, but I wouldn't necessarily say all their franchise are rehashed. The ones that are more so stay similar it it's predecessor for A: It sells and/or B: there's nothing much else to expand upon.

It's not necessarily bad nor is it exclusive to Nintendo as a company; this happens a lot and I don't see the big deal with it.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's not bad, and it shouldn't be a main point against Nintendo. It's also not like all of their franchises are rehashes.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Does Nintendo rehash its games? Of course it does; every game they make nowadays is either almost a direct remake of a game made before or still stick to most of the design concepts from before while switching up some other concepts at the same time.

Is this a problem? Not really, we buy games in an established series because we're already familiar with its trappings and have come to expect certain things from it. It's not a problem unless it's taken to such an extreme that it literally feels like the exact same again. Most of the new Mario games are this to me, as well as ALBW. Most of the time, though, I think Nintendo does a good job of sticking to the basic formulas and concepts which makes the franchises as good as they are while still managing to deliver new experiences for the player. After all, if it isn't broke, don't fix it, right? (Because otherwise you end up with tripe like Other M, and goodness knows we don't need a Zelda version of THAT. By which I mean it abandons core concepts of the series to deliver a game that feels extremely out of place with the series and manages to tarnish the reputation of said series.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom