• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Are Items Bcoming Too Easy to Use?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I threw bombs around random places in the hopes of finding a hole

That's actually something I find tedious, which is why I hate the way the original Zelda hid its secrets. It's also why I love things like the Stone/Shard of Agony and dowsing mechanic. I mean, if you want to do that, then more power to you, but I'd rather have some sort of clue as to something's placement -- a CLUE, not a flashing sign (*ahem* Twilight Princess) -- rather than find it because of pure luck.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Technically Wind Waker was the first game to show us when the hookshot would grapple on an item. But regardless, I don't see the joy in not knowing what your item will work on and coming out confounded and in disbelief when it worked on a metal roof that you hit by accident.

Or, you could be trying the item out in a variety of ways. This isn't a lab "experiment" in high school where you're given a set of items and a bunch of instructions on how to use them. This is "real life" as portrayed through a video game - you the player should want to TRY THE THING OUT, not FOLLOW SOMEONE'S RULES. It's part of freedom. :)

Yeah, they're becoming easier to use, but that's a fantastic thing. The thing about the use of weapons is that they should not inhibit the player's ability to succeed with them. Limited control should not be a limiting factor, unless the game is designed around handicaps. A perfect example of limited controls used for challenge is the original Castlevania. As for Zelda games, the advancements are much appreciated.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Or, you could be trying the item out in a variety of ways. This isn't a lab "experiment" in high school where you're given a set of items and a bunch of instructions on how to use them. This is "real life" as portrayed through a video game - you the player should want to TRY THE THING OUT, not FOLLOW SOMEONE'S RULES. It's part of freedom. :)

Well 2 things

1) In real life, the hookshot would never work on a metal roof.

2) In real life, you are always given instructions. Nobody hands you a gun and tells you to go play with it and "try it out".

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1) In real life, the hookshot would never work on a metal roof.

2) In real life, you are always given instructions. Nobody hands you a gun and tells you to go play with it and "try it out".

1) Actually, I'm not sure the hookshot works as a concept in real life. Don't quote me on that; I'm not mechanics giant. :P

2) Not at all times. Especially when out on "adventures" like Link is, and you happen upon something...you aren't given instructions. In a controlled environment like school or work? Certainly you're given instructions. But out in dungeons and shiz? Nah, you better be prepared to experiment, because insturction typically aren't lying around.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Zelda isn't real life. It's a video game.

Yes, exactly! Video games are supposed to be fun, not ridiculously hard. I bet you'd've given up on SS if you couldn't see where your slingshot, or bow, or clawshot would hit. It'd become a game of trial and error, which would completely take away the fun of the game. "Oh, a Bokoblin! I'm gonna shoot him with an arrow. D'OH, I missed. I'll try again... DAMMIT I missed again!" or "Oh, a Bokoblin. I'm gonna use my bow to hit him. Aim with the cursor, BOOM, headshot!" Lack of proper aiming would have made the game way too frustrating for me. Imagine having to calibrate your wiimote every time you went to shoot something. If it was a little of centre, you'd miss pretty much every time, whereas with the cursor, you can see where you're shooting even when the calibration is off, so you don't have to worry about it as much.

I've never found items in Zelda to be hard or challenging to use but i see what the OP is getting at, there is a lot more hand holding with what the items are going to end up doing for you when you equip them such as markers for bombs, hookshots and other items, we managed fine in the past before, i dont see why the items are showing us their cause and effect before we use them, i would like to take it back to the days of out where you could try and blow something up and not be sure if it'd work or throw something at something to see if it would have an effect, its quite a shame that more and more elements of Zelda games treat us like we don't know what theyre doing, nintendo seems to forget about the veteran gamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom