• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Are Champions going to start and be a thing in Zelda?

I liked the Champions and their counterparts (cept yu-know-tho) on BotW. I thought their concept was quite cool.

With Revali, Urbosa, Daruk and Mipha dead and Sidon, Yunobo, Riju and Teba set to perhaps inherit the title, do you think the idea of Champions is a concept that Zelda games in the future may use again?

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Nope. I think its a one off thing like the light spirits. Nintendo rarely make direct sequels so champions probably won't appear again. The idea of them was cool I agree, but their implementation was not. That said I wouldn't mind seeing the concept again if done right.

funnier6

Courage~
Nice pun, but Yunobo wasn't a champion anyway.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Deus (for like the first time ever) I don't think we'll ever see the champions again, and if they do ever come back it's going to be difficult not to make sure they're not exactly the same or too radically different. I think it's possible though.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't know if they would or not, but I definitely do want more of the concept. The more people involved in Link's adventures, the better. It's something I've wanted for a long time, and hopefully, if they do end up going with something similar, the characters are more involved and present in the adventure than ever before. More than just for one part of the story.

Ninja

Well well well
I wouldn't mind seeing the Champions return, only if they had a completely flushed out background and major influence on their respective tribes. The only one that got that in BotW is fishwai- err Mipha. And even then they could have done so much more.

As Azure put it, the more developed characters that have a great input on Links adventure the better. I want to feel the bonds of friendship that Link builds, and not have just passerby one and done segments of the game.

The champions were an amazing potential concept, just executed very poorly and haves off the sense that Nintendo had a deadline to meet.

I don't really consider the concept of the Champions to be a new thing... more like a new take on an old thing... the sages.
They're a group of individuals with special abilities that represent the major races of Hyrule and help Link to defeat Ganon.
What they're called, and how they help Link may be different, but the concept is basically the same, and I have no doubt that it will continue to be used in some form or another.

Aku

I liked the Champions and their counterparts (cept yu-know-tho) on BotW. I thought their concept was quite cool.

With Revali, Urbosa, Daruk and Mipha dead and Sidon, Yunobo, Riju and Teba set to perhaps inherit the title, do you think the idea of Champions is a concept that Zelda games in the future may use again?
It depends. Are the Divine Beasts going to be a recurring thing now and/or will they be something that gets brought back periodically in later iterations? The Champions are strongly tied to them so I either see the Beasts returning or stuff based on the animal they represent.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It depends. Are the Divine Beasts going to be a recurring thing now and/or will they be something that gets brought back periodically in later iterations? The Champions are strongly tied to them so I either see the Beasts returning or stuff based on the animal they represent.
The Champions are only tied to the Divine Beasts in the context of BotW's story. The concept of Champions (as a group of skilled individuals coming together for the greater good) is not. There's no reason that any group similar to the Champions in future Zelda games has to be accompanied by something similar to the divine beasts.

Last edited:

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
This is definitely (most likely) a one time thing as the champions only pertain to this specific story that is botw. The only reason why the champions exist is because they were the pilots of the divine beasts and the only reason why the divine beasts were created was because of calamity Ganon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom