• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Cdi Zelda Games Considered to Be Real Zelda Games?

L

linebeck

Well, they have Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf, but are they really zelda games???

yeah, they were made by capcom, but they were licensed by nintendo

the cd-i games were really licensed by nintendo? (anyway my answer is going to be always NO, cd-i games arent zelda, is like a fan game :P)

dumb180

Warrior Postman
From what I've read, Nintendo licensed six characters out to Phillips because Nintendo pulled out of a Super Nintendo Disc add on project (or something like that). This agreement didn't allow for other things like Rupees or the name The Legend of Zelda. So they're essentially games that are approved by Nintendo, but not necessarily part of the series.. unless you want them to be.

Personally, I don't think it messes the story up too much to include these games into one's personal conception of the Zelda canon. LoZ Link just had a few more adventures, and oh yeah Zelda had one too. :)

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
No, I don’t think they are real Zelda games. Just because they have Zelda and Ganondorf doesn't mean anything. I just consider them to be spin-off games, and don’t think they have a place in the Zelda timeline.

E

Evil

in none of all real zelda games link talked, (expect he said his name in OoT) .. I think those games wherent real.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Nintendo did give Philips permission to use the characters but Nintendo was not involved at all and they don't consider them to be canon but OoX are.

in none of all real zelda games link talked, (expect he said his name in OoT) .. I think those games wherent real.
Link talking has nothing to do with the cannonacy(is that a word?) of the games.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Well, they technically are real Zelda games. Phillips had the rights to Zelda (and Mario) and made a Zelda game. While they are technically Zelda games, most people just don't speak of them Zeldas mainly because they were vastly unpopular and weren't made by Nintendo.

I do think they are Zelda games, but that doesn't mean I have to pay attention to them.

Why, of course they're considered to be "real" Zelda games. The use of "real" in the title however, is implicit of numerous things, however. Are there "fake" Zelda games, and, if so, what are these fake games. Philosophical tomes could be written about this subject, and doubtless will. However, this is astray from the topic at hand.

Underneath the mudslinging and poor judgements many bestow upon the aforementioned titles, there is grandeur in their presentation, if only one seeks it. A prime example of such would be Wand of Gamelon

Behold the breathtaking visuals...

Some may argue that the games have un-paralleled sound design, as this sample can only begin to attest to:

I can only begin to scratch the rich surface of this magnificent series. Perhaps in the future, all will see the beauty of this series, and future developers will bask in both the mechanical and conceptual genius of this all-too-often berated magnum opus.

Last edited:

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I think that the CDi games are real Zelda games. It was a dark time, yes, and a time that everyone learned from. No one prospered during these times, but there is always a time such as the phillips cdi generation for sports teams, governments, worlds, etc.

I know we'd all like to think that the Legend of Zelda series is a collection of flawlessly made games, but that's not the truth.To say that these aren't real Zeldas, just because they aren't good, is cheating in my opinion. It's like people saying the Holocaust didn't happen.

We don't have to embrace the cdi games, but we have to acknowledge them and accept them for what they are" games which were (failed?) experiments with new technology and gameplay. It was made by seemingly novice game makers/designers, perhaps people who didn't see game design as an art, and yes it shows, but they're Zeldas at heart. The games give us an adventure and, perhaps now more than when they were released, the remind us about how great Zelda is because we have learned from the cdi games as part of Zelda history.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Well, they have Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf, but are they really zelda games???
For those that are trying to somehow fit those game into the official timeline (as futile as that may be), it should be noted that it's "Ganon", not "Ganondorf". There is no mention of a Ganondorf in any of the CD-i games.

Link had two lines of dialogue in The Adventure of Link, and one line in Wind Waker ("Come on!").

Underneath the mudslinging and poor judgements many bestow upon the aforementioned titles, there is grandeur in their presentation, if only one seeks it. A prime example of such would be Wand of Gamelon

Behold the breathtaking visuals...

That is not a scene from Wand of Gamelon, though. It's fan made. The real scene looks like this:

That Ganon Rap is fake as well.

I know we'd all like to think that the Legend of Zelda series is a collection of flawlessly made games, but that's not the truth.To say that these aren't real Zeldas, just because they aren't good, is cheating in my opinion. It's like people saying the Holocaust didn't happen.
It's not like that at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by real? Real as in you can play them on a Nintendo system, as in they have all the right characters, they have a Nintendo License, or are good games?

1. (Not Real)You cannot play most of these on a nintendo system.
2. (Real) They do have most of the characters.
3. (Not Real) None have a Nintendo License, as far as I can tell.
4. (Not Real (In my opinion)) These games are horrible.

So, by majority rule, these games are NOT REAL. Case closed :)

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I see the cd-i games as real zelda games. It is true that nintendo didn't make them and that philips didn't use the character license to its full potential, but you can see that they tried. Back in the day they only had the original, AoL and Alttp as inspiration. The three games are very different from each other, so there was no real standard back then. Next to that they had an extremely low budget and little time to get all the things that the cd-i console offers into the game. The games have the basic zelda elements, which is a boy/girl who goes on an adventure to save someone. On the journey they have to travel through lands filled with enemies and defeat bosses. At the end they have to kill the main antagonist and the world is saved.

I see the cd-i titles more as a spin-off series like Link Crossbow's Training or the Tingle games. Of course the Nintendo zelda games are a lot better, but I think if Philips had put more money, time and effort (especially the cutscenes could be drawn way better) into their cd-i version of the zelda games they would have been almost as awesome as the nintendo zelda games. I wonder if they still have the license though...just imagine philips announcing a remake of their zelda game for the cd-i, that would be so awesome :xd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom