• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Are BotW's bomb arrows too OP?

I couldnt be bothered with fighting the Blights (especially since my first, Water Blight, killed me a lot) so i bought me some bomb arrows and blasted the hell out of him and his brothers.

But they seemed to do a hell of a lot of damage to anything and it made me feel a little guilty for cheesing fights...

Are bomb arrows too overpowered?

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Not really when you consider they go out in cold weather and instantly explode in hot weather they aren't OP, and Master Mode seems to have dulled the arrows teeth a fair bit now

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
In fairness I think the blights were pretty simple even without bomb arrows and that's coming from someone who has been stuck on bongo bongo for months!
I do like the bomb arrows though even if I do accidentally blow myself up.

funnier6

Courage~
Um I'm sorry but I think ancient arrows take the OP cake, I can't shoot a bomb arrow at a guirdian or silver lynel and expect it to implode but I sure can with in ancient arrow.

Ninja

Well well well
The Bomb Arrows when used with a 2x or 3x bow can definitely wreak havoc on most in game enemies, however I don't feel like they are too overpowered.

Bomb Arrows can definitely hurt you, however being able to freeze and shatter foes is pretty OP, and badass.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Hmm I don't think so. They're definitely strong, but they have too many weaknesses (like exploding in hot environments) that make it less OP. I do think however, if you took the weaknesses away it could be considered OP.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Sure they have weaknesses, but when they don't, they rain hell everywhere.

I always have a larger quantity of Bomb Arrows on me than any other kind of arrows (including normal arrows), and in the beginning of my game, all I did when I came across a difficult enemy/group of enemies was Blitz-Crede theme, and that's still all I do when I meet a Hinox, or Stone Talus.

Windblight Ganon consisted 100% of me bomb arrowing it, and so did all of the Major Strength Shrines.

Yes, they're OP, but they're there, aren't they? Use them

Bomb arrows are just right, especially considering their weaknesses (can't use them up close lest you blow yourself up with it ... can't use in the rain ... can't use in Eldin due to heat ... cold weather messes with them too). I honestly like using just normal arrows more than anything else with a few exceptions - like shooting fire Lizalfos with ice arrows to instantly disintegrate them, or using shock arrows on enemies/fish in the water because the AoE makes it so simple and efficient.

One item of note ... on another site someone did some extensive testing of the entire weapon/bow/arrow/armor system with respect to damage, buffs, multipliers, elemental damage, etc... and I THINK they found that even if you use bomb arrows with multi-shot bows, you only get the added bomb-damage of 1 arrow, even if multiple hit the enemy. Also, oddly enough, I THINK that the duplex bow that the Yiga carry - while a 2 for 1 arrow style use bow - actually does double-damage with elemental arrows ... so with that one, bomb arrows become a true double-hit-damage affair.

As for ancient arrows ... considering they just need some pretty common ancient parts, and a 1-to-1 ratio of normal arrows to exchange for the ancient arrows (and the cost of the rupees of course), they are WAY too overpowered since they take down guardians in 1 shot if you hit them in the eye. That destroys the entire aspect of "fighting" them. I mean, the ancient arrows are ALMOST a necessity for sky-watchers ... but you CAN use bomb arrows to blow up their propellers, and then once they fall you can just walk up to them and slash them to death ... but that's a real pain, and not that hard to do if you use bullet-time.

Oh god, the first time I drew a bomb arrow while on Death Mountain, only to have it explode in my face.... it took me a moment to realize what I'd just done (I'd forgotten they were the equipped arrows). I just started laughing. Like, howling like a madman. It was just the funniest gorram thing.

Oh god, the first time I drew a bomb arrow while on Death Mountain, only to have it explode in my face.... it took me a moment to realize what I'd just done (I'd forgotten they were the equipped arrows). I just started laughing. Like, howling like a madman. It was just the funniest gorram thing.

I remember the first time that happened to me ... and I had NO clue what had just happened. Went to shoot, BOOM! I sat there stunned for a moment (me, not Link) wondering where the explosion came from. When Link got up, I looked around trying to see where the enemy was that shot me, but saw nothing. Pull out the bow again and BOOM! I was like "WTF?!" ... Did it one more time before I realized that it was happening at the exact moment I equipped my bow - with bomb arrows, of course.

As soon as it hit me - like a ton of bricks - I too started laughing my butt off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom