• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Apartment vs House Living

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
If you had to choose between an apartment in a big city or a free standing individual home on a suburban block a little while out of the city what would you choose?

I like the idea of having a free-standing home but given the price of those in big cities is prohibitively expensive I’d much rather live in an apartment given the location is more of an important factor for me. Not having to maintain a lawn and back/front hard also removes much of the upkeep tasks you’d otherwise have too.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Apartment and entirely for cost related reasons.

A house is just... too much. Even with a decently paying job, the cost of buying a house just eats up too much of your income to seem attractive. And that's not to mention the benefit of being able to call a landlord every time something go wrong, rather than having to pay for it yourself.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
House is probably better for me. I need a garden for the dog and I also prefer the privacy of it as opposed to an apartment. If it was just me I might enjoy the convenience of an apartment however.

With apartments you need to be careful of utility charges which they can put up and you don't have control over sometimes. With houses it's the maintenance which can cost money, if anything goes wrong you have to get it fixed yourself.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
definitely house living.

the only concept about an apartment I like is the idea of having little to no maintenance. I hate the thought of sharing walls with people.

privacy is the biggest pro when it comes to living in a house. I also love having a big yard. the maintenance is a huuuge pain, and sometimes a big cost, but totally worth it overall. currently looking for a bigger house, but the market is a nightmare right now.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Definitely a house.

Let me explain why using doors.

We can't use our back f*cking door for the simple reason that it's an absolute b*tch to shut and lock.

Why, you may ask?

Because the latches on the frame are ever so slightly off-set from the latch on the door and deadbolt, meaning we have to lift the f*cking door up to try and shut it. By lift, I really mean straining to lift, because it doesn't always work.

We let the landlord and maintenance know about it, and they said, I sh*t you not, "We like our doors to be snug."

B*tch, the f*cking door doesn't f*cking work like it should. It opens fine, but shutting the door and using the deadbolt are out of the question.

Mind you, this is after several times of us notifying them of the problem, and them just ignoring the issue.

Now, a simple, and logical fix would be to unscrew the latch plate from the door, and raise it up slightly so it matches with the door latch and deadbolt, right? Easy to do if you own your own house. I've installed new doorknobs and locks before, so it should take no time at all.

Yet, we won't get our security deposit back if I fix the damn issue for them to get a functional door.

Lemme also explain the difference between apartments and houses in terms of pets.

Houses you can get whatever dog you please, as well as any animal you please, one of many reasons we're trying to buy a house, because in our current digs, the owners won't even allow us to have a cat, when most other areas allow cats.

Finally, noise. Houses can afford more privacy, and this gives me freedom to acoustically treat a room, considering I am a musician, this is something important. I can't even consider this option in an apartment.

So no, f*ck renting an apartment. I've done it for too long, and I'd rather own my own place, and the freedom to solve problems as they show up on my own, as well as the general freedom of owning your own place.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
For me I think it mostly has to do with whether you're by yourself or not. I live in an apartment with my parents and I have to say... it sucks. Pretty much every room is occupied constantly. If you're by yourself, having a smaller place is more manageable than taking care of a house by yourself. If you're with family, the house has more room and being in a suburban area isn't so boring because you have people to entertain you.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
If you plan on your living arrangement translating to a nest egg, you might consider heading in the direction of real estate. As you mature and take on responsibilities, your perspective will likely change. The biological imperative dictates that you procreate and pass on your genome, this is natural law at work. Should you choose not to intentionally avoid natural law, you may find yourself the subject of another organism's dependence. If you should feel a responsibility to this organism, you may desire to promote its flourishing by providing it with a denominational representation of the time you spent to provide for it. One way if doing this is to provide a piece of real estate to your offspring. It's a place to store value that can be passed on to those who carry your DNA. If this is not part of your plan, maybe it's easier for you to be reliant on a property owner for your living situation but you know me, I'm a fan of personal responsibility. I suggest a house in most situations or at least a plan to work toward a house.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I have no experience with apartment living but I sure do read a lot of horror stories about scummy landlords. Honestly, for me personally, I probably would prefer the space of an apartment to a house. Maybe. If it were me by myself, I would need a comfortable bed, a nice bathroom/shower, a nice kitchen, and stable access to internet and TV. Nothing else required. If an apartment could provide that cheaper than a house, then that's where I'd be going. Though I do hear that owning a house is cheaper in the long run than renting.... I dunno. I'm not quite at a place where I'm ready to move out yet. When I am, I'll have to consider all this stuff more carefully.

ive been living in my apartment since November last year. i like it. the only stuff I pay for is rent and the only extra thing i have to pay is tv and internet. I dont have to pay for electricity and no water bill.

if you own a house then you have a crap ton to deal with such as electric bill, water bill, house repairs and property tax

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
A house for sure. I lived in an appartment for 11 years on the top floor. But no elevator. When you get older you have to keep in mind the obstacles for living in an appartment on a top floor without an elevator. Plus I met Mr Vee, got a cat and a house with solarpanels. And with all our hobbies? We sure as hell need more space!!!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Update on my apartment:

So with five calls to maintenance about our back door not latching and locking properly being ignored completely, and him just saying, "Just lift up the door and latch it."

Well, we did, and the f*cking door handle broke, as we expected it would because doorknobs aren't designed to handle lateral loads like that. They're designed to be fixed in place and turn to undo the latch so the door will open.

I know this seems obvious to you, but it's not obvious to our maintenance guy.

So me, my wife, and her parents all decided to fix it ourselves, because maintenance was ignoring our calls, and we weren't confident in his abilities to fix the door so it locks and latches properly.

So we bought a new doorknob, and fixed the damn door ourselves. It wasn't hard, took maybe 20 minutes.

If I owned our place, this would have been fixed the first time I ran into the problem, not waiting on maintenance to take its thumb out of its ass to solve the problem.

In addition, it took TWO f*cking calls to maintenance to fix our washing machine that flooded. First time, the maintenance guy literally said to my wife, "JuSt UsE sMaLlEr LoAdS."

I wish I was there to say, "Listen dumbass, it doesn't matter the size of the load if the washing machine doesn't f*cking work and floods."

Second call the maintenance guy noticed the problem and realized the Crom-damned thing was broken.

So let my experience warn you of the bane of your existence with renting, set boundaries and be stern with lazy ass maintenance men. If something doesn't work like it's supposed to, don't let the lazy f*cker walk all over you with excuses. His entire job is to fix sh*t that doesn't work like it should, so remind them of that. But be polite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom