• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

AP Classes

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
The AP stands for "Advanced Placement", and I'd like to know if any of the other ZD-goers are in an AP class!

I'm currently a senior in high school, and I take two AP classes, which consist of AP Biology and AP Literature & Composition. So, what I'd like to know is:
- Do you take any of the same classes as I do? And if so, what have you learned throughout the course? What has been taught? (I'd love to compare!)
- If you don't have the same classes as me, what AP class(es) do you take? How many?
- Did you take the course to benefit you for the future, or just to get another credit in high school?
- Anything else you want to say about AP courses!

I took AP Lit. & Comp. because language arts is what I love the most. I got to choose between this and AP Language & Composition, but the latter consisted of more current events and analyzing the "how" and "why" of certain events in the world, which didn't perk my interest in the least. AP Lit. and Comp. has to do with Great Works (popular novels known for their themes/symbols, such as Huck Finn, Invisible Man, Lord of the Flies, etc.) It's a lot of analyzing what goes on in novels and why certain situations occur, and what we as readers can ultimately take from that novel. Personally, I love it; a lot. I can't wait to take the AP test in a week (weird, right?) :nerd:

As for AP Biology, it was for just another credit. :P I chose it over physics - there was no way I was going to take a class that combined science AND math. It's a difficult class, and definitely takes a lot of studying to get those high grades, but it's worth the credit and the high GPA at the end of the course.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
In high school, I only took one AP class. It was AP Spanish, and I loved it. We reviewed all the stuff (grammar, vocabulary, etc) that we learned in the previous Spanish classes and used the language to discuss complicated topics. We would often read internet articles, watch TV programs, and have class debates and discussions about politics, culture, economics, international relations, and a number of controversial issues. It was a fantastic class with an amazing teacher (my Spanish teacher was voted the best Foreign Language teacher in the whole state. He was also the runner-up for teacher of the year in my state). The class was very small (7 students) so it was very personal and we had a lot of opportunities to get one-on-one help. In fact, that class is the reason I became fluent in Spanish. I had learned all the essentials in the previous levels, but the hard work and interaction with real world scenarios we undertook in that class really helped me advance to true fluency.

I took the course because I wanted to further my study in the language; and also if I passed the AP test, I could skip several college Spanish classes. It did indeed pay off, as I scored a 5 of 5 on the test and got to skip over 5 college Spanish classes. I am a Spanish major in college right now and I have completed the entire program about 2 years earlier than if I hadn't taken that class. AP classes are very handy.

I am in AP English and AP World History. But to be honest with you I think the whole thing is a complete joke. I am in 9th grade and a VERY good student (like high 90 average for almost all major classes) and not once until this year (after asking the school multiple times) did they finally even give me a shot at an AP class (and yes, I had been recommended by multiple teachers in the past). For AP English I am one of the best students (in grades) of my class and my AP World History class has kids that might be smart enough to be in AP classes but definitely lack the appropriate behavior, maturity, and above all the effort that I believe is right to be a part of such a class. So basically to sum it all up, I just think there are some flaws with how the AP classes are chosen, but don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE both of those AP classes that I have.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Next year is my Sophomore year, and I'm taking AP Chemistry, AP World History and AP Music Theory. AP JAVA was officially cut from our options, so looks like I'll have to pursue music next year. Considering my High School doesn't really offer many Advanced Placement classes in early years, so it's quite difficult to get into multiple AP classes.

Last edited:

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Hey Freeze:D

I'm 16 and a sophomore. I'm taking AP World History and AP Chemistry.

Basically I took AP World cause the school assigned it to me. I need a social studies credit to graduate and I was in the AP track based on my grades so I was placed in it. I like it but to me it's just another credit. The class is easy so I doubt I'll have difficulty on the test, save for some challenge on the DBQ, depending on the prompt.

AP Chemistry is one I took because I'm generally interested in chemistry. However I made the mistake of taking the class with no Honors Chem first. I average a C in the class each quarter and it's the first year my parents aren't upset because I got a C on my report card (they normally want A's and B's). Plus the test is on F***ing Monday! I'm nervous about it but I'm studying this weekend so I might not get on ZD on Sunday.

I also want to add that Dual Enrollment is another great option. Same as AP but more college focused. I'm dual enrolling this summer for college level Freshmen English Comp 1.

MW7

Well I was when I was in high school. I took AP US History, Macroeconomics, Politics and Government, English, Statistics, and Calculus. I took five exams (did the course only for Calculus; dumb decision) and only passed three even though I earned A's in each of the respective courses. My advice is to take the exams as seriously as possible. Do the opposite as me because your grades in high school are only useful for getting accepted into college and determining scholarships. If I could do over high school I definitely would have taken more AP tests and studied more for them. It will depend on your school I think but at my college the Biology AP exam is by far the most useful to do well in because it counts for two lectures and two labs which is equivalent to almost 3 regular classes. Also the foreign language AP exams all count for 8 semester credits (if you get a 4 or 5) at my school as well so those are super helpful as well.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm on track for AP Biology, AP English, AP Government and, if the school offers it, AP U.S History. I go to a small school so the options aren't many.

Basically my only reason for doing these classes are to get ahead of everyone else and because my parents are forcing me to. They want me to be top of the bracket. Which I kind of like, but things get stressful what with deadlines and all that. Sure wish we had computer classes here, I'd totally take AP Computer Physics.

In my opinion, the way one is selected for AP classes is stupid. You essentially have to haev positive points with the teacher who teaches said class, which is absolutely idiotic in my mind. If I'm smart enough, hell, if I'm even so much as INTERESTED in the class, I should be allowed to take it. I almost forfeited my chances at taking AP English for Junior/Senior year because the teacher who teaches my Aerobics class also does AP English and I REALLY do not like her. She doesn't wear deodorant, which needless to say is disgusting.

The AP classes that I took my junior year of high school consist of AP Psychology and AP World History. I'm currently signed up for AP Government, AP American History, AP Euroupean History, and AP Environmental Science (I can do this many because I only need an english credit to graduate and I chose English IV over AP Lit) for my senior year. I enrolled in AP Enviornmental Science simply because I wanted that extra AP class for the weighted grade and college credit, but the rest were chosen because I genuinley wanted to learn about the subject. I'm a big history buff, so AP World History, AP American History, and AP Euroupean History were obvious choices. Psychology/Psychiatry is my favorite branch of science, so that was an easy decision. I'm not too excited for AP Government, but I'm not dreading it either. I guess you could say I'm indifferent about that course. I love learning, but I'd be lying if I said I'd take AP Government and AP Enviornmental Science even if it didn't offer the boosted grade and college credit.

I'm currently studying for the AP Psychology exam that's on Monday, and then I will devote the rest of my time to the AP World History exam that's on May 17th.

@Darknut Hunter: I'm jealous that you think AP World History is so easy. The mutliple choice is simple because their such broad topics, but when it comes to the Compare and Contrast and Continuties and Change essays I'm lost. Simply remembering the specific historical information for each civilization is hard enough, but utilizing it to explain continuties and changes and similarities and differences is pretty challenging. I average 5's, 6's and 7's on those two essay, not once have I ever gotten a 9. As for the DBQ, their simple, and I've never gotten below a 9 on any of the ones I've completed. I'm nervous for the AP Exam on May 17th :\.

ZeldaFan11

#TeamPhelps
Im currently take AP Biolgy, im a 9th grader in highschool.
I was suppose to take AP English 1 this year but our teacher made us read "Prde and predjudice" and write about it. If any of you read that book; i dont see how you did, that book is HORRIBLE. So since i didnt do the summer project i was kicked out of it lol.

AP Biology is my best class, we are about to take our state test 2 weeks from today i think. We have learned about all the types of cells(and all of the cycles that they do too), lots of definitions like taxonomy and such, bacteria, archeabacteria, eubacteria, osmosis, you know that stuff. I feel good about the test coming up, i think im going to pass it :yes: I took this class because i really liked biology, and thought sinced i already liked it why not get into a harder class?

As for AP World Geography.....we have done nothing all year. and this year we have to take the EOC, (state test) and by the time you graduate you have to had passed all 12 of them or you dont get out of school. I can tell you for sure that NOBODY in my grade will pass that test. All we do is watch movies...im scared:\

I'm not currently taking any AP classes because they're not offered at my school Freshman year. Next year I'll be taking AP US History, and I'll be taking all AP and IB classes my Junior and Senior year.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I'm currently taking AP US History. Next year I'll be taking IB classes, which are essentially the same thing but with a different test. XD

I can't exactly say I've learned a lot in my class, though. But perhaps it's just the subject – US History seems to be the exact same thing every year. Or maybe it's the teacher, because despite learning the same things over and over in class, when we get the test there are always questions I don't know the answers to. It's my lowest grade right now (79%). I don't like that class too much, haha.

I actually find it odd, though, how many people say they took AP classes Freshman year. I don't think it's even possible to do that in our Freshman year at my school; at least, I've never heard of it. And we're not supposed to take AP English until Junior year, haha.

Well, back when I was in high school I took few scattered AP classes early on, but then narrowed it down and only went with AP English courses. I took my tests and did well, but I just wish that I would have taken AP History and Government courses as well... instead I was upset that the teachers I saw were teaching from a very opinionated viewpoint quite opposed to mine, and just took the rest of my history/government/economics classes in summer school when I really should've taken the AP courses. Still, there's not really anything I can do about that now, but at least I was able to take my AP English classes, which I enjoyed a whole lot. :>

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I'm not currently taking any AP classes because they're not offered at my school Freshman year. Next year I'll be taking AP US History, and I'll be taking all AP and IB classes my Junior and Senior year.

taking no APs for my upcoming freshman year, but I will take AP World History and AP English my sophmore.

Wow....I'm a sophomore and I took AP Human Geography for my freshman year. But I never new there was an AP English. My school doesn't offer it. But we do have AP Physics C and AP Calculus BC.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I thought about taking AP classes back in high school, and I could have done them with hardly any problems, but I was too lazy to do the extra work lol plus with all my extracirrulum activities, I wouldn't really had time for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom