• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Aonuma: Open World Will Be Zelda's New Standard

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/06/...dard-of-zelda-from-now-on-will-be-open-world/

Basically this link talks about an interview with Aonuma with Famitsu, where he says that in the Zelda series' future we'll see more open world games. How do all of you feel about this? Considering how much I loved BotW, I'm fine with it, but I don't want the next game to be a clone of BotW, either. So hopefully they're able to revamp things that make it a fun and unique experience.

Open to this, but it needs to be different enough from Breath of the Wild.

(Having the green tunic sooner is a good idea... just sayin')

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Good.

Breath of the Wild is the game that finally brought exploration and discovery back to a franchise that had long since forgotten it. Stepping back to linear gameplay would be a serious downgrade.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about that. Open world games, to me, are fun to play around with, but I tend not to complete them or get very deep into them. I just don't take them very seriously.

One of the reasons I used to like Zelda is because it was a series where I could sit down and make measurable progress rather easily. This new direction is kind of a turn-off for me.

I don't think I would actually stop playing Zelda, but it may mean that something like Pokémon or Mario ends up taking its place as my favorite Nintendo franchise. I'll have to see what they do with the other franchises first before passing judgment. I hope they don't decide to do open world for everything.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I don't classify BoTW as a REAL Zelda game (same with HW, and HWL).

Sure, it was cool, and I liked it, but it failed on story, dungeons, and music, 3 of the key points in Zelda.

I'm fine with more open-world, and of course I'll buy the games, but without that story, and those dungeons, they're just not the same.

I prefer linear, but that's just me, but I'm open to open-world, as long as I get my dungeons, music, and story.

Another thing I like is BSing. BSing is one of the coolest things to do in anything, and you can do a LOT of that in BoTW, which I like, so I hope they add "alternate, but not recommended solutions" to problems.

Lilith

Hypostasis of the Archons
It's progress in the right direction, really.

Like, to be honest, the series has been in need or some form of a reboot for loooong time, and this is the kind of thing that is perfect for that. So long as good amounts of time are spent on developing good gameplay, story and all that good stuff, I don't have a problem. Something to make the series fresh again.

Well that figures...

Oh well, if that's the only part of BoTW that sticks, then I guess I can live with it.

I'm fine with it. Just dont want the next one to take 5 years to make.

I like the old structure of the likes of OoT and WW but the physics and the freedom were good in BotW... (can they not still make normal structured 3d Zeldas on the 3ds. Even if theyre only as long as MM i'd still be happy).

Next time we need a more interesting world, more going on in the story, item variety (really would have liked a hookshot in botw)... i'm fine with a small dungeon count and those dungeons being short because i dont enjoy dungeons.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm fine with it. Just dont want the next one to take 5 years to make.

I like the old structure of the likes of OoT and WW but the physics and the freedom were good im BotW... (can they not still make normal structured 3d Zeldas on the 3ds. Even if theyre only as long as MM i'd still be happy).

Next time we need a more interesting world, more going on in the story, item variety (really would have liked a hookshot in botw)... i'm fine with a small dungeon count and those dungeons being short because i dont enjoy dungeons.

Even the Witcher 3 took 4 years to make and that is from a competent developer. If you want anything other than a clone of BoTW featuring no real story and nothing to do but collect simple seeds then we will be waiting about 10 years for the next Zelda.

I dont like being stuck in one place for too long with only one way through. I dont like the claustrophobic feel and i feel terribly limited with what i can do. I also tire of the theme if im in there too long.

I dont have much of a head for puzzles, especially Zelda ones so i tend to get stuck with little hope of progress until my eurika moment which can take aaaaages.

Id rather be out in the overworld drinking in the sights and doing what i want. Which is why WW is my favourite game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Oh I had so much fun with BotW. I love it. The next game shouldn't indeed be a copy of BotW but they should keep things like searching for food and stuff. The freedom was amazing and made this game cool.
Exactly. Things like cooking and the armor system especially should stay, imo. But seeing the world handled in a different way next time would be preferable. BotW started a convention breaking trend, and I think they should keep that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom