• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Aonuma: OoT was restricting, the BotW format will continue

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Mark rosewater classifies this as an activity as per his article here

He states, "Games are about obstacles. The players have a goal, but something keeps them from simply accomplishing it. A game needs to have some challenge to it because the fun of a game comes from figuring out how to overcome those challenges."

It's his own definition of course and not one that everyone needs to follow, but I do like that it puts emphasis on requiring some type of obstacle or restriction to be satisfying. And given Maro's pedigree I'm inclined to value his opinions

VERY MINOR SPOILERS FOR TOTK

Of course he's not wrong, the rules make the game, but considering MTG has been driven directly into the ground (not entirely his doing), I wouldn't defer entirely to him. I think Nintendo did a phenomenal job creating an open air world with the Sheikah Slate providing a set of flexible mechanics to contain the world but to me, finding my own solution has diminishing returns compared to discovering curated solutions as I did in previous Zelda games. I haven't gone underground much in TotK yet so maybe they did to try to balance the sandbox with curated, scripted gameplay. That seems like it could be a decent compromise. Looking forward to getting a better feel for the game.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
but considering MTG has been driven directly into the ground (not entirely his doing)
Considering some of magics current philosophies directly violate things he's said in the past I'd be willing to phrase it as almost entirely not his doing

to me, finding my own solution has diminishing returns compared to discovering curated solutions
Entirely agree with this sentiment especially when my own solution is making an elevator to skip everything with auto hand and recall

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Entirely agree with this sentiment especially when my own solution is making an elevator to skip everything with auto hand and recall
I think I would like the idea of finding my own solutions if it was significantly harder to do it. Make it feel like they were going out of their way to prevent you doing that.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
You’re right, it isn’t vague. There are plenty of games where your progression isn’t tied to the level design itself, even at the time. Mario, Metroid, and Zelda all follow this.

Exploration is just as much of a thing in Mario as it is in Zelda. The only difference is that Mario is level based and Zelda isn’t. You still have to learn the world around you to better your own understanding of the game. The simple fact that any item whatsoever is required means that there is a correct way to progress.

Oh, so you’re saying that LttP and OoT are more similar to Z1 than BotW? I mean those games do everything you said Zelda 1 does far more than BotW.

It does. You said that it shifted from Zelda 1, and I pointed out that BotW does absolutely nothing to shift it back and instead removes what actually connected SS to Zelda 1. It doesn’t matter how anyone reads what you said, that’s the fact of the matter.

The fact that you used the word “formula” in a way that suggests that these things were invented after Zelda 1, as well as the fact that you ignored how structured Zelda 1 already was.

It has to do with you pretending that the “arbitrary” conventions that have defined the series are somehow what was holding it back, when in reality most of those conventions were what made it so great to begin with.

Literally not a single one of its ideas can be traced back to a previous title apart from minor side mechanics being carried over from SS. That’s literally not evolution. The simple fact that you insist that the series had somehow been “doing the same thing over and over again” proves that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Right here.

And your blind worship of BotW has allowed you to conveniently ignore the fact that the series hadn’t been doing the same thing and this rework existed long before BotW. Hell, it even reverted other reworks that previous games did. SS changed a ton about the series that BotW just ignored, but somehow BotW is the “genre defining masterpiece” even though close to everything that it did has been done better in other games that released before it, both in and out of the Zelda series. Even the reworks that did exist in BotW could have easily been done without completely removing the core mechanic of the series.

If it just evolved those concepts I wouldn’t be saying that. It didn’t evolve those concepts, it removed them. That’s not the same thing. BotW was quite objectively a complete genre shift. The fact that you insist that it evolved the concepts in any way just says that no, you haven’t acknowledged why people don’t like it.

There are plenty of ways to go about game design. Zelda 1 deliberately chose its own and evolved that until BotW decided to completely ditch the series identity. That’s literally not evolution by any definition whatsoever.

Wanting a series to evolve the mechanics that are a part of its identity instead of completely removing them is not “putting it in a box.” If a series doesn’t stick to its identity it might as well not be a series. If I wanted to play a game that had a stat-base progression in an open world as opposed to item based then I would play close to any other open world game ever because Zelda already fit its own genre perfectly.

I haven’t misrepresented a thing, and you’ve pretty clearly agrued that the item based progression wasn’t a focal point just by insisting that BotW was somehow more similar to Z1 than SS. I literally never said that Zelda 1 only had one path. I said it had an intended path and various occasional restrictions to keep you on that path. Yes, the dungeon numbers, raft, and other aspects of the game absolutely prove this, and none of them were in BotW.

You're being way too pedantic, blatantly misconstruing what I'm saying, and flat out arguing against false assumptions you’re projecting onto me. So I'm gonna save myself the headache and just say what I have to rather than respond to every individual paragraph of intentional miscommunication and lies that I shouldn't have to keep clearing up.

Super Mario Bros. is not about exploration. You can keep repeating it or make whatever philosophical argument you want for it, it doesn't make it true. Mario was not conceived as a game with non-linear design just like Zelda wasn't created to be a linear game. They're two completely different genres that follow different tropes. I will no longer engage with meaningless semantics over this long established fact.

Whether you like Breath of the Wild or not, it cannot be denied that the game, like previous entries, has you solving puzzles, engaging in combat, and exploring. These concepts are at the very heart of the series and to say these elements are not present in Breath of the Wild just because you don't like the way they've been applied to a more open experience is objectively incorrect.

Your entire argument against Breath of the Wild can literally be applied to Super Mario 64, which "ditched" its series identity and got not even a single peep from fans about it. Instead, people call it a masterpiece and have the nerve to talk down on games like Super Mario 3D World that better captures its 2D roots.

Except a game like Super Mario 3D World wasn't possible on an N64 and wouldn't have been the greatest use of the technology either. A game like Super Mario 3D World was only possible because Super Mario 64 got to exist and the series got to grow and be refined, that by the time 3D World came around, it felt like a step backwards for the series.

While Crash Bandicoot was doing basic linear platforming in 3D by simply moving the camera behind the player and still frequently making use of 2D gameplay, Nintendo was evolving the genre because it had a whole new set of tools to play around with that they never had to think about when they first created Mario and that is the exact approach they had with Breath of the Wild. A re-evaluation of conventions and tropes that were the result of its time's limitations.

Breath of the Wild isn't any less a Zelda game for giving the player more choices in progression than Skyward Sword is for its forced motion controls. You purposely choose to make structured design elements with strict puzzle solutions the most important aspect of the series because it supports your hatred for Breath of the Wild, which you claim doesn't retain any of these elements, therefore cannot be a Zelda game.

It's such a disingenuous stance to take, even if Breath of the Wild wasn't your cup of tea. I understand the open world isn't for everyone, but neither were motion controls, stylus controls, cartoony visuals, time limits, or side-scrolling gameplay. I've acknowledged that Breath of the Wild did a lot of things differently than past games that a lot of us would prefer to see done more traditionally. But I've also acknowledged what Breath of the Wild brings to the table and can recognize that a lot of what it does is simply a reapplication of pre-existing conventions to suit an open world.

So no, it didn't remove anything and it's not less a video game or Zelda game because of it. You just don't like its execution, but you refuse to accept that Breath of the Wild is more like Zelda than you're willing to give it any credit for because it would hurt your ego, so you'll try to twist and pick apart vocabulary and fabricate a "gotcha" just to justify your hatred of a video game and that's your own problem.

I can't make my point any clearer than that and I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me, but I don't really care for this whole charade of arguing for arguing's sake.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
So to help me understand better what's being discussed, what is exploration? Dictionary.com defines it as "the action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it." Maybe the collect-o-thon adventure is a line for me. Super Mario Odyssey had a bit of exploration but almost all of the traveling I did in the game was in service of finding super moons and/or advancing the plot. In BotW, I do significantly more exploring (travel for the sake of learning) than I have in most games. BotW/TotK seem to be set up to give you a world to learn about instead of just things to collect or a campaign to progress.

But what is learning? Is advancing the plot learning? Stepping across a threshold to trigger a cut-scene doesn't feel like exploration to me but it is required to learn about the world. When it comes down to it, perhaps the "exploration" in a game relies greatly on the player. If Assassin's Creed is vast but the world doesn't capture my interest, I say the game involves little actual exploration for myself personally. I'm really interested in Hyrule so the way I play BotW reflects the exploration I crave.

I'm down for open world, just add some good dungeons and ditch the glass weapons. I swear they hired the guy who makes Sir Arthur's armor. (You notice his fabulous heart undies are indestructible, maybe they should make his knight armor out of that.)

Incidentally, how are the dungeons in Tears, and is there at least a blacksmith?

Last edited:

thePlinko

ZD Legend
You're being way too pedantic, blatantly misconstruing what I'm saying, and flat out arguing against false assumptions you’re projecting onto me. So I'm gonna save myself the headache and just say what I have to rather than respond to every individual paragraph of intentional miscommunication and lies that I shouldn't have to keep clearing up.

Super Mario Bros. is not about exploration. You can keep repeating it or make whatever philosophical argument you want for it, it doesn't make it true. Mario was not conceived as a game with non-linear design just like Zelda wasn't created to be a linear game. They're two completely different genres that follow different tropes. I will no longer engage with meaningless semantics over this long established fact.

Whether you like Breath of the Wild or not, it cannot be denied that the game, like previous entries, has you solving puzzles, engaging in combat, and exploring. These concepts are at the very heart of the series and to say these elements are not present in Breath of the Wild just because you don't like the way they've been applied to a more open experience is objectively incorrect.

Your entire argument against Breath of the Wild can literally be applied to Super Mario 64, which "ditched" its series identity and got not even a single peep from fans about it. Instead, people call it a masterpiece and have the nerve to talk down on games like Super Mario 3D World that better captures its 2D roots.

Except a game like Super Mario 3D World wasn't possible on an N64 and wouldn't have been the greatest use of the technology either. A game like Super Mario 3D World was only possible because Super Mario 64 got to exist and the series got to grow and be refined, that by the time 3D World came around, it felt like a step backwards for the series.

While Crash Bandicoot was doing basic linear platforming in 3D by simply moving the camera behind the player and still frequently making use of 2D gameplay, Nintendo was evolving the genre because it had a whole new set of tools to play around with that they never had to think about when they first created Mario and that is the exact approach they had with Breath of the Wild. A re-evaluation of conventions and tropes that were the result of its time's limitations.

Breath of the Wild isn't any less a Zelda game for giving the player more choices in progression than Skyward Sword is for its forced motion controls. You purposely choose to make structured design elements with strict puzzle solutions the most important aspect of the series because it supports your hatred for Breath of the Wild, which you claim doesn't retain any of these elements, therefore cannot be a Zelda game.

It's such a disingenuous stance to take, even if Breath of the Wild wasn't your cup of tea. I understand the open world isn't for everyone, but neither were motion controls, stylus controls, cartoony visuals, time limits, or side-scrolling gameplay. I've acknowledged that Breath of the Wild did a lot of things differently than past games that a lot of us would prefer to see done more traditionally. But I've also acknowledged what Breath of the Wild brings to the table and can recognize that a lot of what it does is simply a reapplication of pre-existing conventions to suit an open world.

So no, it didn't remove anything and it's not less a video game or Zelda game because of it. You just don't like its execution, but you refuse to accept that Breath of the Wild is more like Zelda than you're willing to give it any credit for because it would hurt your ego, so you'll try to twist and pick apart vocabulary and fabricate a "gotcha" just to justify your hatred of a video game and that's your own problem.

I can't make my point any clearer than that and I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me, but I don't really care for this whole charade of arguing for arguing's sake.
No I’m not, no I’m not, and no I’m not. You can’t just pretend that I’m making illogical arguments just because you can’t be bothered to actually argue against them.

You don’t seem to understand what the word “exploration” means. Exploration has literally nothing to do with whether a game is “linear” or not. Super Mario Brothers had secrets. That was a pretty big selling point, actually. It had secrets that you had to explore the levels to find. Are you really going to try to sit there and tell me that actively checking every pipe to see if it led to a secret area is somehow not exploration?

Yes, BotW does have all of those elements. You know what else does? Most adventure games ever. The simple fact that it has those is not enough to call it Zelda because the method in which it handles all 3 of those things is wildly different from any game in the series. You’re trying to compare tables to giraffes by saying “they’re both made of concrete matter, and therefore have more in common with each other than they do the abstract concept of the number 4,” not understanding that the comparison that you’re trying to make is completely meaningless in any practical way.

Except 1.Super Mario was never inherently about the structure of the game like Zelda was. The series always had an emphasis on developing how Mario controlled as a platformer character as opposed to how the structure worked. Super Mario 64 is more along the lines of something like Metroid Prime, where most of the things that the series pioneered are still there in the exact same way as before, only now the less important surrounding elements from the classic games are gone. If anything, Skyward Sword is a better comparison to Mario 64 than BotW just because of how much it managed to change while also keeping most of what the series development pioneered in. 2.My argument still applies regardless of if I liked BotW or not, just like how the inherent differences between course clear and collectithon Mario are still there regardless of peoples opinion on 3D Land/World. Hell if you want another example, I prefer the Symphony of the Night styled Castlevanias to the classic Castlevanias, that doesn’t stop me from understanding that there is a clear difference between the two to the point that the former completely removes what made the latter stand out to begin with.

It didn’t feel like a step down, actually. When it first came out nobody was complaining that it was. They were complaining that it wasn’t a traditional 3D Mario because we didn’t have a traditional 3D Mario that generation, while we already had two course clear type 2D Mario’s that generation. This is clearly obvious just by looking at the high amount of praise it’s Switch port got when it released on a console with an original collectathon 3D Mario.

Except literally not a single one of Zelda’s tropes were due to limitations. Of all of the things that you’ve said so far, this has got to be the most asinine. The simple fact that it would have been easier to not program in required items in the original Zelda makes this blatantly obvious. For that matter, Daggerfall released 2 whole years before OoT and Morrowind released the same year as WW. The technology was there to make an actual open world game in the same style as BotW, but they didn’t because that’s not what they wanted to make. Even if you want to pretend that it’s because they didn’t bother trying, I’d point out that they clearly did try to make a more open Zelda in WW, but they still tied it to the series tropes because those tropes were what made Zelda good.

I’m not “making” the structure of Zelda anything more than it already is. The simple fact that it was what the game used to separate it from other “open” games at the time like Ultima or Hydlide is more than enough to prove me right. The fact that Metroid literally exists because someone at Nintendo said “let’s take Zelda’s structure and make a sidescroller out of it” is more than enough to prove me right. The fact that this structure is what they decided to expand upon in literally every game prior to BotW is more than enough to prove me right. Literally all evidence on the matter whatsoever points to what I’m saying as objectively, inarguably true regardless of my opinion on BotW. My dislike of BotW has nothing to do with this, in fact the actual scenario is that your blind love for BotW is causing you to ignore and argue against the objective evidence of the matter.

Except I have no problems with open world games. I’ve played plenty of open world games, some of which I’ve absolutely adored. I have problems with games that claim to somehow apply series conventions to a new format when in reality they neither contain a single series convention nor a format that hadn’t already been done significantly better by plenty of other games.

It removed everything that united the series mechanically, and this is provable by acknowledging literally any of the evidence I have presented, or even just playing the games. Talk about ego, you have yet to present a single argument that even attempts to disprove just one of the things that I’ve clearly explained to you, instead just resorting to ad hominem and simply saying “nuh-uh” in an attempt to defend the easily disproven. BotW does not share the mechanical design philosophy of the series leading up to it, and therefore it’s fundamentally different from the basic identity of any of the games prior to it.

You can call it arguing for arguments sake all you want. If that’s how you cope with someone proving everything you’ve said wrong, so be it, but the fact that you are so unwilling to acknowledge the simple facts surrounding the argument shows that you really can’t handle someone arguing against you.

Last edited:

thePlinko

ZD Legend
The kind of arguments here remind me that of fans. Remind me why it's bad to be a fan. You can't take any artwork from an artist and compare it to another artwork. It's like putting Moonlight Sonata next to Fur Elise. It's the same like comparing Mona Lisa to The Last Supper. What makes you think that video games are any different. That you can compare the Zelda game once created with the Zelda game of today. The only real question should be: Is Zelda made for commercial reasons this way? And the answer is: When it stopped being made to sell? It's obvious that the crowd in the 80s wanted something else, 90s,mid zeroes something else and now it's time for the 2020s. It's made to appeal to a new audience. And yet we are all here. The Legend of Zelda is the flagship of Nintendo and doesn't belong to any specific audience. Because we will all be here no matter what. It's the game that can sell more units. It successfully launched the switch and now that the switch sales decline it's gonna boost it for a final time.
Ok, but the difference is that Fur Elise was never meant to be a sequel to Moonlight Sonata. Regardless of popular taste, games in a series are inherently going to be compared with one another simply because they’re in a series together.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
No I’m not, no I’m not, and no I’m not. You can’t just pretend that I’m making illogical arguments just because you can’t be bothered to actually argue against them.

You don’t seem to understand what the word “exploration” means. Exploration has literally nothing to do with whether a game is “linear” or not. Super Mario Brothers had secrets. That was a pretty big selling point, actually. It had secrets that you had to explore the levels to find. Are you really going to try to sit there and tell me that actively checking every pipe to see if it led to a secret area is somehow not exploration?

Yes, BotW does have all of those elements. You know what else does? Most adventure games ever. The simple fact that it has those is not enough to call it Zelda because the method in which it handles all 3 of those things is wildly different from any game in the series. You’re trying to compare tables to giraffes by saying “they’re both made of concrete matter, and therefore have more in common with each other than they do the abstract concept of the number 4,” not understanding that the comparison that you’re trying to make is completely meaningless in any practical way.

Except 1.Super Mario was never inherently about the structure of the game like Zelda was. The series always had an emphasis on developing how Mario controlled as a platformer character as opposed to how the structure worked. Super Mario 64 is more along the lines of something like Metroid Prime, where most of the things that the series pioneered are still there in the exact same way as before, only now the less important surrounding elements from the classic games are gone. If anything, Skyward Sword is a better comparison to Mario 64 than BotW just because of how much it managed to change while also keeping most of what the series development pioneered in. 2.My argument still applies regardless of if I liked BotW or not, just like how the inherent differences between course clear and collectithon Mario are still there regardless of peoples opinion on 3D Land/World. Hell if you want another example, I prefer the Symphony of the Night styled Castlevanias to the classic Castlevanias, that doesn’t stop me from understanding that there is a clear difference between the two to the point that the former completely removes what made the latter stand out to begin with.

It didn’t feel like a step down, actually. When it first came out nobody was complaining that it was. They were complaining that it wasn’t a traditional 3D Mario because we didn’t have a traditional 3D Mario that generation, while we already had two course clear type 2D Mario’s that generation. This is clearly obvious just by looking at the high amount of praise it’s Switch port got when it released on a console with an original collectathon 3D Mario.

Except literally not a single one of Zelda’s tropes were due to limitations. Of all of the things that you’ve said so far, this has got to be the most asinine. The simple fact that it would have been easier to not program in required items in the original Zelda makes this blatantly obvious. For that matter, Daggerfall released 2 whole years before OoT and Morrowind released the same year as WW. The technology was there to make an actual open world game in the same style as BotW, but they didn’t because that’s not what they wanted to make. Even if you want to pretend that it’s because they didn’t bother trying, I’d point out that they clearly did try to make a more open Zelda in WW, but they still tied it to the series tropes because those tropes were what made Zelda good.

I’m not “making” the structure of Zelda anything more than it already is. The simple fact that it was what the game used to separate it from other “open” games at the time like Ultima or Hydlide is more than enough to prove me right. The fact that Metroid literally exists because someone at Nintendo said “let’s take Zelda’s structure and make a sidescroller out of it” is more than enough to prove me right. The fact that this structure is what they decided to expand upon in literally every game prior to BotW is more than enough to prove me right. Literally all evidence on the matter whatsoever points to what I’m saying as objectively, inarguably true regardless of my opinion on BotW. My dislike of BotW has nothing to do with this, in fact the actual scenario is that your blind love for BotW is causing you to ignore and argue against the objective evidence of the matter.

Except I have no problems with open world games. I’ve played plenty of open world games, some of which I’ve absolutely adored. I have problems with games that claim to somehow apply series conventions to a new format when in reality they neither contain a single series convention nor a format that hadn’t already been done significantly better by plenty of other games.

It removed everything that united the series mechanically, and this is provable by acknowledging literally any of the evidence I have presented, or even just playing the games. Talk about ego, you have yet to present a single argument that even attempts to disprove just one of the things that I’ve clearly explained to you, instead just resorting to ad hominem and simply saying “nuh-uh” in an attempt to defend the easily disproven. BotW does not share the mechanical design philosophy of the series leading up to it, and therefore it’s fundamentally different from the basic identity of any of the games prior to it.

You can call it arguing for arguments sake all you want. If that’s how you cope with someone proving everything you’ve said wrong, so be it, but the fact that you are so unwilling to acknowledge the simple facts surrounding the argument shows that you really can’t handle someone arguing against you.

Making false claims about what I said or meant and then cherry picking stuff that I've said that doesn't even support your false claims as well as arguing against points I never made, is you making illogical arguments. Don't even deny it, because my next post will just be a series of quotes proving this exact behavior.

These are cheap tactics from someone who doesn't really believe what they're arguing but refuses to be wrong and I've done this dance numerous times with numerous people and it doesn’t make your argument anymore convincing and it's a waste of my personal time to keep repeating myself in different ways until you, and only you, will find it acceptable.

I simply don't care to engage in meaningless squabble from someone who just wants to vent their frustrations of a video game, rather than have an actual conversation. Otherwise you wouldn't be harping so hard on semantics and purposely missing the point and childishly claiming victory to fuel your own ego.

Now you finally admit that Breath of the Wild does in fact have many of the same concepts present in past games, even though you've been saying otherwise. So we've finally made some progress. But now you want to say that the way Breath of the Wild executes these concepts is completely different like you're making some kind of profound point or argument against me like I didn't already say this?

Which is exactly what I'm talking about. In one ear, out the other, and more nonsense through the mouth. It's like you're not even reading what you're responding to, because you're so dead set on telling me what most of us already know about Breath of the Wild like it makes you look more knowledgeable or validates your obnoxious opinion that Breath of the Wild isn't a Zelda game.

What part of Breath of the Wild re-examines the series' conventions and reapplies them to fit into an open-world don't you understand? I don't care if you think other games do what it did better. I don't care that it shifted the series in a new direction. That's obvious. I don't care if you think Skyward Sword should be hailed as a masterpiece and not Breath of the Wild. I don't care if you think it wasn't executed well. None of this negates the fact that Breath of the Wild shares a ton of common elements with its predecessors and used the original game as a keystone for its development.

If you think that means Breath of the Wild is supposed to be some carbon copy of Zelda 1 or that anyone believes that to be the case, then you are really dense and I can't help you. You don't get to pick and choose what series conventions matter most or what's the acceptable amount of alteration to certain elements. Especially not when you're talking from your ass so much. The fact that you think you can dictate what is and isn't a Zelda game based on what you personally love about the series is laughable control-freak behavior. Get a life.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger

eh, it's kinda more of the same
Thanks for posting the update. Hate it but I appreciate the heads-up. Kind of feels like if Tolkien started writing manga. Maybe it's great manga and he's got the skill and right to do it, but I fell in love with his longform novels of western low fantasy. Changing the format so drastically may not damage the excellence of his work but it's different enough that he's going to lose some readers and gain others.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

eh, it's kinda more of the same
Has Nintendo ever thought about the older games in the series while developing the next ones? Object permanence isn't one of Zelda's best traits. :eyes:

It's honestly baffling to me that this catch-all solution is still in the game as powerful as it is, to the point you basically don't need to do a single puzzle in the final dungeon. There's plenty of examples of the game accounting for very wild and creative player ideas, but one of the most obvious game-breaking techniques is viable in well over half of the shrine puzzles.

It's funny how for so many years I've seen Zelda fans complain about Zelda games being too linear and praising games when there was more choice and freedom involved. Then Breath of the Wild happens and suddenly people want Zelda games to be more restrictive again.
I don't think it's too odd for fans who grew up on Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to have different tastes than fans who grew up on Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past. Someday fans who grew up with Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom will have their own preconceptions of what Zelda should be by default that seems alien to us now.

I dont mind Botw/Totk becoming the new template. At least I can jump on command, I am not a fan of the automatic jump from OoT.

My main concern is, like someone already mentioned, these games take longer and longer to release. They should release smaller games in between big games. The meme of "I want shorter games with worse graphics and Im not even kidding" comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom