• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Aonuma Has Run Out of Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
It...It's just the name of an alternate world. It hardly hinders any other creativity in the game. No reason to get all huffy and add ALBW to our *BLEEP*-lists. Besides, were the names "Twilight Realm" or "Dark World" strokes of pure naming genius? They're just the names you'd expect them to have. It seems like a bit much to say Aonuma is running out of ideas because he made a pun with this one.

I actually though Lorule was pretty punny... whatever. I seem to be pretty alone in that regard.

XskywardX

Shadow Instruments
Guys, this is going to be a reply to several people...and even some of my own thoughts.

Many of you are saying that the name is obviously representing the opposite of Hyrule and whatnot, I know this - This is why I don't like it. The name is unoriginal, and I wouldn't be suprised if Aonuma just went on the internet, found a bunch of crappy fanfics, and put them together trying to make something good out of them - Just because he's too damn lazy to think of anything himself. It's not that I don't like this game because the name is different from Hyrule (Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda games), more because it's the almost the same as Hyrule. I don't believe that Miyamoto ever intended for there to be an opposite version of Hyrule, especially not one with such an unoriginal name.

Another reason why I don't like ALBW - this is NOT "The Legend of Hilda: ..." This is "The Legend of Zelda: ..." They can't just go making up some new princess and throwing her into a story line without the main well-known overworld and expect everyone to except it. This is quite honestly one of the worst plots I have ever seen from the Zelda franchise. And something else I wanted to touch on quick - previously I mentioned that I hated ST as well, and you guys didn't see why. I didn't like it mainly because, well, LINK IS NOT SUPPOSED TO RIDE TRAINS! Link (in my opinion) is a hero, he was never meant to ride trains. I thought it was ridiculous when I found out they used talking boats in WW, but i accepted it and moved on; but when ST came out and I saw link riding a train, I was like "NOOOOOPE" And I played it a few times just to see, and it was horrible. Anyway, back on the topic of ALBW.

The next reason why I dislike the plot of ALBW is the UPSIDE-DOWN TRIFORCE. On everything I've seen in artwork for this game, the effing Triforce is upside-down. This is just ********. In my opinion, (this may sound ridiculous and that I may be too obsessed with Zelda - I am not, I just have strong feelings towards the franchise, as the first video game I ever played was OoT when I was just 3 years old) turning the Triforce upside-down is almost like turning the cross upside-down. Now again, I reiterate the fact that no, I am not obsessed, this is just my opinion. I feel as though that turning the Triforce upside-down would represent Ganon in Hyrule.

When did Zelda fans start caring about storyline and plot? So much controversy now over the stupid little theatrics that don't matter, have never mattered and will never matter in the Zelda series. Get it into your head NINTENDO IS ABOUT GAMEPLAY

this is NOT "The Legend of Hilda: ..." This is "The Legend of Zelda: ..." They can't just go making up some new princess

The next reason why I dislike the plot of ALBW is the UPSIDE-DOWN TRIFORCE.

Zelda was barely even in Majora's Mask. She makes one appearance and it's in a flashback. Also, there's been plenty of other princesses in the Zelda series that have played just a big a role as I expect Hilda to, namely Princess Ruto. Hilda is simply a sage that happens to be a princess, just like Princess Ruto. Princess Zelda is still in the game and I expect her to play just as much of a role as she has in any other game named after her.

Did you hate Dark Link? Did you hate the Dark World? Both examples of opposites in Zelda series that work well. While Lorule may not be the most original name for it neither was the Light and Dark worlds, neither was Death Mountain, neither was the naming of Temples/Palaces, but that's why I love it. Simple yet effective.

Forest Temple = Temple located with a forest

Death Mountain = Mountain that is dangerous enough to cause serious injury/death

Light World / Dark World = World full of normal people / World full of monsters

Lorule = Parallel version of Hyrule

Last edited:

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Another reason why I don't like ALBW - this is NOT "The Legend of Hilda: ..." This is "The Legend of Zelda: ..." They can't just go making up some new princess and throwing her into a story line without the main well-known overworld and expect everyone to except it.

Um, that's kind of exactly what Midna was. Even though I personally don't really like her, she was accepted with open arms by most fans.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
Oh come on guys The zelda series isn't about names its about the experiences you have the people you meet the items you get the vast world to explore and if u are to stuck on a name of an alternate world to see that then what kind of fan are you i mean what were you expecting a super clever name what would you rather have the zelda team taking a week to come up with a super cool name or take that time to make the gameplay better i mean they couldve just named it dark world again and not even come up with a name so be grateful with the name we got.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
XskywardX said:
I don't believe that Miyamoto ever intended for there to be an opposite version of Hyrule, especially not one with such an unoriginal name.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

...woo, that was funny. I can't believe I almost missed your sarcasm there. Especially since there was a Dark World in aLttP, which Miyamoto was in charge of producing. I'm glad you're using satire here, because otherwise that would have sounded absolutely ridiculous. :right:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
BAHAHAHAHAHA

...woo, that was funny. I can't believe I almost missed your sarcasm there. Especially since there was a Dark World in aLttP, which Miyamoto was in charge of producing. I'm glad you're using satire here, because otherwise that would have sounded absolutely ridiculous. :right:

except that was the golden land transfigured by ganon
i mean in-game yeah its just hyrule w/ altered terrain,but fggtrule is like the dark world under a different name

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
When did Zelda fans start caring about storyline and plot? So much controversy now over the stupid little theatrics that don't matter, have never mattered and will never matter in the Zelda series. Get it into your head NINTENDO IS ABOUT GAMEPLAY

Most Zelda fans care about storyline and plot. It is equally as important as gameplay if a complete experience is to be created. It does not need to be really deep but it needs to be engaging. Story is already important in all zelda games since OOT, so to say it will never matter is wrong. It matters now and it will probably matter more in the future to meet player demand.

XskywardX

Shadow Instruments

Zelda was barely even in Majora's Mask. She makes one appearance and it's in a flashback. Also, there's been plenty of other princesses in the Zelda series that have played just a big a role as I expect Hilda to, namely Princess Ruto. Hilda is simply a sage that happens to be a princess, just like Princess Ruto. Princess Zelda is still in the game and I expect her to play just as much of a role as she has in any other game named after her.

Did you hate Dark Link? Did you hate the Dark World? Both examples of opposites in Zelda series that work well. While Lorule may not be the most original name for it neither was the Light and Dark worlds, neither was Death Mountain, neither was the naming of Temples/Palaces, but that's why I love it. Simple yet effective.

Forest Temple = Temple located with a forest

Death Mountain = Mountain that is dangerous enough to cause serious injury/death

Light World / Dark World = World full of normal people / World full of monsters

Lorule = Parallel version of Hyrule

A few things wrong with this post here....first of all, Zelda fans have ALWAYS cared about storyline and plot; you're just not a true Zelda fan. The storyline is what makes the game, it created the emotions you feel while you play, it helps you get a better understanding of what Link goes through. Zelda is all about good storylines - but this is not one of them.
And on your argument about Princess Ruto: She is MUCH different than Hilda. Hilda is basically an exact copy of Zelda, but for Lorule. I mean come on, both names (Zelda and Hilda) came from the Germanic root "hild" which means "battle". This proves that she is meant to be a copy/doppelganger of Zelda.
And also, about your unoriginal names for temples and whatnot; that's also a lot different. Names like "Forest Temple" and "Death Mountain" are merely the names of places, dungeons, and temples; not the entire main overworld. And the same goes for the Dark/Light worlds, they are just additions to Hyrule, giving more substance to the game; but "Lorule" is an entirely different overworld, completely separate from Hyrule (but publicly made out to be an opposite of Hyrule), which I definitely do not like at all.
The two games "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask" were the very first games I ever played, and I loved them. This is going to sound hypocritical, but they set the par for what I expect of Zelda games: Hyrule, Ganon, Zelda, and The Triforce; but each game having a different storyline to accommodate for different generations. And although Majora's Mask had none of that, I still loved it; and I would love if they would make a second one based in Termina. So I guess you could say the other things I find "necessary" for a Zelda game would be: Termina, Majora/another protagonist, Masks, and The Happy Mask Salesman. This is why I don't care for games like "Wind Waker", "Spirit Tracks", etc.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Like I said up there; The Dark World is much different from "Lorule"

Oh come on guys The zelda series isn't about names its about the experiences you have the people you meet the items you get the vast world to explore and if u are to stuck on a name of an alternate world to see that then what kind of fan are you i mean what were you expecting a super clever name what would you rather have the zelda team taking a week to come up with a super cool name or take that time to make the gameplay better i mean they couldve just named it dark world again and not even come up with a name so be grateful with the name we got.

I would rather them just stick with the basic elements of Zelda: Hyrule, Ganon, Zelda, and The Triforce.

Um, that's kind of exactly what Midna was. Even though I personally don't really like her, she was accepted with open arms by most fans.

Midna was NOT another Princess...Midna was pretty much another companion; just like Fi, Navi, and Tatl. Midna is merely a companion - so therefore, your argument is invalid.

So turning yourself into a painting isn't considered original? And unoriginality already existed in previous Zelda titles. Death Mountain anyone?

Death Mountain is the name of a place, not the entire main overworld made to sound similar, yet different to Hyrule. And I'm not saying the whole game is unoriginal, although, the "painting" that Link turns into looks a lot like a hieroglyph. And if I remember correctly, in many Zelda games in the Japanese versions, some of the Hylian text is very similar to, or exactly replicating ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Last edited:
XskywardX said:
A few things wrong with this post here....first of all, Zelda fans have ALWAYS cared about storyline and plot; you're just not a true Zelda fan. The storyline is what makes the game, it created the emotions you feel while you play, it helps you get a better understanding of what Link goes through. Zelda is all about good storylines - but this is not one of them.

Story's importance in Zelda largely depends on what games you first played. The first three games still hold up well today even though they have a minimal "Ganon kidnaps Zelda, Link must save her" story. That's because their dungeon design is harder than the modern and navigating the overworld takes quite a bit of thinking. These are equally important franchise values.

Yes, Link is a blank slate in A Link Between Worlds, but the nonlinearity and independent puzzle solving from the older games have returned. No longer are large portions of the overworld arbitrarily gated off nor is there a ciompanion to point you in the right direction with blatant hints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom