• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Aonuma Has Run Out of Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

SICK
Honestly, I don't think Zelda ever had a bad plot.

Also, I'm really excited for ALBW.:)

Skunk

Floof
Really? So giving the ability to turn yourself or others into paintings isn't original?

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
1hoa.png

Oh, really great. The foul mouthed girl mades Aonuma sad :(

Most hilarious Zelda Dungeon Thread in 2013 so far for me.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
While I do think Lorule is a pretty crap name, uninspired and boring, it's jumping the gun a little bit to say he's ran out of ideas. :P Give the man a break.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Guys, why label this a troll thread just because it is negative towards Zelda and/or its developers. Engage the title and duke out your opinions, or leave it be. :/

Again, I do see Aonuma as running out of ideas. Then again, maybe it's because he is making Zelda games instead of video games. Ya know, there is a certain mold that Zelda fits into, or *should* fit into according ot the devs, so not all ideas are "compatible" at least not from an outsider looking in. Maybe the Zelda series has become stiff, and needs to become a bit loose like the North. :/

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
While I do think Lorule is a pretty crap name, uninspired and boring, it's jumping the gun a little bit to say he's ran out of ideas. :P Give the man a break.

I really don't get the criticism of the name "Lorule". It's a twist on the word Hyrule, but that's the whole point of it, Lorule is meant to be the antithesis, the counterpart of Hyrule. This is shown through a reflection in which Lorule is the lower half - this relates to the concept art image and the two Triforces shown in reflection to one another. It also has a double meaning as "Lo", in some Japanese contexts, can mean "no" or "not" as in this is not Hyrule and is a separate world altogether.

Personally, I think it's clever in a number of ways.

It also has a double meaning as "Lo", in some Japanese contexts, can mean "no" or "not" as in this is not Hyrule and is a separate world altogether.

No it doesn't. Japanese has no native "l" sound; everyone knows that. Nice try, though. However, if by "lo," you mean "ro," then that in itself is problematic, considering as to how the kanji for "ro" can mean a multitude of things—or even pronounced differently—depending on the reading, including "foolish." Due to the difficulty of explaining the complexity of this writing system, I'll just wrap this up.

(Not arguing against the concept or name of Lorule, though; as you can clearly see in this thread, I have no qualms with A Link Between Worlds...)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No it doesn't. Japanese has no native "l" sound; everyone knows that. Nice try, though. However, if by "lo," you mean "ro," then that in itself is problematic, considering as to how the kanji for "ro" can mean a multitude of things—or even pronounced differently—depending on the reading, including "foolish." Due to the difficulty of explaining the complexity of this writing system, I'll just wrap this up.

(Not arguing against the concept or name of Lorule, though; as you can clearly see in this thread, I have no qualms with A Link Between Worlds...)

But... but I want to belieeeeeeeeve! D:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I really don't get the criticism of the name "Lorule". It's a twist on the word Hyrule, but that's the whole point of it, Lorule is meant to be the antithesis, the counterpart of Hyrule. This is shown through a reflection in which Lorule is the lower half - this relates to the concept art image and the two Triforces shown in reflection to one another. It also has a double meaning as "Lo", in some Japanese contexts, can mean "no" or "not" as in this is not Hyrule and is a separate world altogether.

I understand where it comes from, but I still think it's just a bit boring. It's such an obvious play on Hyrule, "hurr hurr, low is opposite to high and this world's supposed to be opposite, hurrr" that anyone could have thought up. I expected perhaps more flair, not something I feel a 10-year old me could have been tasked to think up. :P

Dan

Cor blimey! I get the name but it's got no flair, no bambooza, no sexiness like me, in case you didn't know it's an obvious play on Hyrule, you see low is the opposite to high, DUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRR, I mean a 5 year old version of me could come up with something more original, like pubrule, or I am superior to you allrulle, this reminds me of the time me and my boyfriend decided we wanted to go on holiday, we looked up locations on my computer, which btw has 4 monitors so it's really easy to make the map big on it. :P I wanted to go to a place that had plenty of nightclubs, pubs, and rip off prices, cooooooooooor, I saw this place called Drinkers world, and right slap bang next to it was a place called eaters world, I said to my boyfriend a 2 year old me could come up with something better than that.

I mean who do nintendo think there target audience is CHILDREN!, no it's us, and we deserve better than some dumb name. Duuuuuuuuuuuuur:P

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I understand where it comes from, but I still think it's just a bit boring. It's such an obvious play on Hyrule, "hurr hurr, low is opposite to high and this world's supposed to be opposite, hurrr" that anyone could have thought up. I expected perhaps more flair, not something I feel a 10-year old me could have been tasked to think up. :P
It's meant to be a play on the word Hyrule though, I think Nintendo could have easily come up with some random word to name it but that would haven't been as clever or had as much meaning. They wanted to essentially make this place relate to Hyrule but be the complete opposite at the same time, which I think "Lorule" accomplishes.

Of course it might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it's quite clever in a number of ways to be honest.

I'm no expert so you're probably right, I just heard that connection from a few people and articles etc.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I expected perhaps more flair, not something I feel a 10-year old me could have been tasked to think up. :P

Expect that from the Creators of the 3DS and the Wii U :D? I can only speak of Germany, but on Amazon Germany, many people are angry because the New Layton was released for this DS Expansion. What was it's name? Ah, I mean the device with the 3D or so. Yes, some people never heard of the 3DS. I think there are even people, ordered Layton 6 and try playing it on their DS now. It's even harder when it comes to the Wii U. Even more people asking for Super Mario 3D World, if it is capable running on their Wii. Nintendo may sell more devices of both systems in the West when they choose a proper Name. Playstation 4. Plain, simple, boring but the best choice. Everyone knows this is the successor of the Playstation 3. Xbox One is also a problematic Name for a Console. It's as heavy and big as the original Xbox :D
Sorry, just kidding.

When it comes to Lorule, well, it's a simple wordplay between High and Low. It's not that bad. It is not that creative, but far better compared to Final Fantasy XIV where I am unable to spell any of the Names (Towns, Characters) because they sound so stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom