• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anyone into Theatre?

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
Hi everyone. =) I'm a tad bored and it's 4:05AM, so I figured why not start a thread?

I noticed that there are lots of really talented writers and artists on ZD, which is awesome, but I haven't come across any theater geeks as of yet. There has to be a few of you on here...Perhaps you're just hiding. ;D

Anyway, I've been acting for about five and a half years, doing mainly local and school productions of both straight plays and musicals (total of seventeen productions, and many more to come) I've recently gotten into doing production, specifically prop and set design, which I'm going to be doing for a majority of this summer.
I'm also going to be a FPA major (fine and performing arts) in the fall, and while my concentration isn't in theatre, I am extremely interested in exploring set construction and makeup artistry and plan on joining the improv and musical theatre clubs on campus.

So how about you? Are you a musical theatre enthusiast? Shakespeare fan? Devoted techie? Active drama club member? Or just a theatre appreciator? I'm curious. =)

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I was a "behind-the-scenes" theatre geek for the second half of high school, meaning I was just on the stage crew end of things. I never participated in acting, but I had a ton of friends who did. I spent many a long night after school working on sets, painting structures, practicing run crew, organizing props, and yelling at underclassmen cause they seriously got everything wrong lol

I also did makeup, which was hell the first year, cause we did Footloose and had upwards of 30 or 40 actors. BUT, I have to say, give me a brush and some foundation, and I can make a 16 year old high school student look old and wrinkly in 10 minutes flat. Seriously, I pride myself on that skill. Senior year was extra fun cause we did Little Shop of Horrors. Not only was there an old man for me to do makeup for, but we actually hand made the two different Audreys! I got to do some fancy grafitti work on the set for the "downtown scenes" too.

I don't plan on pursuing a career in theatre, but I am going to an art school, and I can say that I definitely have a sweatier, more hands-on gritty experience with artistry because of working with crew for those years :)

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I was sort of randomly put in charge for makeup during our production of Seussical, and while I haven't mastered making people age (at least not yet), when it comes to absolutely crazy and cartoony-looking makeup, I'm fairly good. Unfortunately, a lot of people wanted glitter (tacky, tacky...plus everyone who wore eye glitter had blood shot eyes by the end of the show) and it's not like I can completely turn them down.

My school put on Footloose when I was in 8th grade. I didn't have a huge role, so I helped out people with getting 80s looking costumes. That was a fun show. =)

I really wish I did more tech during high school. I think I may actually like it a bit more than acting.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
One of my goals that I would like to see accomplished someday is to become a voice actor for anime, video games, and anything else that's out there. It might sound weird to some people, but to me that's the ultimate-dream job. I like acting and I kind of wish that I could change my major, but since the economy is crap.....its better to stick to the one I have now. I mean I like psychology, and I sometimes wish I could double major, but I don't think that would be even possible to major in two different areas.. Anyway, If I went to a different high school and got rid of my fear of being on stage, then I would have definitely joined a drama club.

Its good though that you have acting experience for so long....are you going to get some kind of scholarship?

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I would love to do voice acting as well at some point, especially for a more over-the-top/comedic anime. That would be really fun to do.

Hm. I'd definitely ask an advisor or professor to see if you can double. It wouldn't hurt to find out. Though, I guess it depends on the college...I'm going to a liberal arts college so people can essentially do whatever they want for majors.
If not that, then perhaps join a group on campus? I think most colleges have a theater related club that usually anyone can join.

I got a scholarship at graduation. =) It wasn't much, but every little bit certainly helps out.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
Ah cool! Congratulations! :)
Any scholarship would definitely help especially when your living in a state where your tuition rises every year :/.

Yeah, I think I might do that once school starts in the fall. Hopefully they'll say yes, even though I'm already a college student.

Oooo I agree. I also think doing the motion/voice capture for video games would be pretty awesome too. You should look at some voice over classes when you have the time. I heard it helps the aspiring voice actors a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom