• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Anyone else Really Hate Majora's Mask?

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I personally cannot stand that game. A big part of it has to do with the "Time-limit" and save method. I do like the music, characters and atmosphere but those two things that I have mentioned keep me from ever picking up the game ever again.

Anyone else hate this game or hate playing it?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The time limit is what makes Majora's Mask so amazing. It was a refreshing addition, mainly because rewinding time allows you to replay virtually any part of the game you want any number of times. That's the reason I love it so much. As far as the save system goes, I can't say I love it, but I don't hate it either.

I wouldn't say I hate MM, though I don't favor it all too much. I agree that the time-limit aspect and the very flawed save system are considerably irksome, and they have prevented me from wanting to play it a lot as well. I respect MM's different take on the series, especially with story and characters, but I myself just can't enjoy the game as much as I'd like to because of the aforementioned hindrances.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sometimes I hate playing MM, I'll be frank. Now, don't get me wrong, I actually love the three day system (it provides a ton of urgency when you put it into context), I love the sidequests (some say the entire game is a sidequest, and they're definitely right in that regard; Zelda Gaiden go figure), I love the combat (same thing as OoT's), and I love the overworld (there's something to do within five minutes, I guarantee you). What makes me hate playing the game is that the game is so expansive, the game essentially shoves too much down my throat and it just drags on and on and on. Backwalking isn't nearly as useful it was in OoT. Megaflipping doesn't exist anymore, neither does supersliding. You get the Goron Mask too late in the game (lol half way through by some peoples' standards) as well as Epona. It's just cumbersome doing all that traveling and all the sidequests.

Now, people who may hate the game, I can definitely see why you'd hate the game. It has many elements that are detrimental to the fun factor. Me? I ignore or love said elements. But yeah, I see where you're coming from don't worry. :)

bunny

birb overlord
I love Majora's Mask. The time limit is one of the reasons, actually. It's so unique compared to the rest of the series. Also, it was one of Zelda's darker games, in my opinion. Think about it; you have three days to save Termina from being destroyed, resulting in death. Link is literally fighting to save the lives of the people in Termina. Even in Ocarina of Time when Gannondorf took over Hyrule, the people in Castle Town just left. He didn't kill them.

The save technique didn't really bother me. I mean, yes, it was a bit of a disadvantage, but there were those owl statues. I personally thought it was pretty cool playing the Song of Time to save.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
At first I wasn't going to post because Majora's Mask is, in my opinion, the best video game ever made. I can find no real fault with it, every single aspect of the game worked to its benefit for me, especially the three-day system. But then I looked at the question again and realised that even though I do not share you opinion, Laz, I can still answer.

My answer is no, I can't say I do hate Majora's Mask. However, I will defend to the death your right to say otherwise! Well, maybe not to the death, that's a bit dramatic.

If it was 5 years ago then i would agree with you, lazarusryu. But my opinion has changed dramatically during my 2nd playthrough. The time limit is what makes the games so unique and it gives plenty opportunities for timed side quests.
Anju and Keafei's Side quest was the best side quest ever, it worked perfectly with the time system i kept you on the edge of you seat until the end.
Some of the temples were a bit challenging, in my first play-through i would get halfway through the temple and then time would be almost out. It is a good thing that they added shortcuts in each temple for this case. As long as you got the dungeon item, you can sail through the dungeon when you try again. The temple were some of the best I've seen in the entire series.

You're right to hate this game just as i am right to hate the oracle games.

Only three or so years ago I would have agreed with you, Laz. I was never too fond of Majora's Mask because it appeared diametrically opposed to series foundations, a break from what defines a Zelda game. No Ganon, no Zelda, the Triforce hardly mentioned.

Over time, however, I grew to appreciate the game. It's one of the sole three titles in the franchise I'd rate a 10/10 along with A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Why did I undergo so dramatic a change in tastes? I underwent the realization that different can be better. Majora's Mask easily features the most unique and demented narrative with the save system and three day cycle reinforcing story aspects. Don't get me started on the regions, dungeons, or bosses either. Traditional forest, fire, and water areas were nowhere to be seen with an added twist on the mundane. Foes like Goht and enemy lairs including the Stone Tower Temple rightfully deserve their standing as action-adventure relies. More than 12 years later, there is nothing quite like Majora's Mask among Zelda or videogames in general. What few flaws the game possesses are so negligible they hardly detract from the experience.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
personally I love everything about the game. The characters are awesome, the masks are awesome, the time system is awesome, you get te idea. I find no faults with the game.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't hate it. Actually, it's in my top five. But I definitely think it's overrated. Having played it well over thirty times, there are several problems that come to light.

The save system is unforgivable. Because of freezing, this game has bad memories for me. Normally, this could be solved by a decent save system. But Majora's Mask lacks this. The Owl Save System completely defeats the purpose of a save system. If my game freezes or the power goes off, the owl doesn't save. It just goes back to the last time you played the song of time. And that's what makes this save system unforgivable. The only real way you can save is by playing the song of time...which means you have to start over.

Not enough focus on the main quest. I'm not that into sidequests. And while Majora's Mask had some good ones, at least half of them could have been scrapped for more dungeons.

It didn't feel like there was a real story. The whole game felt like a bunch of sidequests with no main story and I couldn't stand it. The main story stops the moment you get to the swamp and doesn't resume until you finish the canyon.

I loathed the bosses with the exception of Goht. They were too easy. They had no defense. They felt like overblown minibosses and nothing else...actually, some of the minibosses felt more like bosses than them.

I find myself realizing that Anju and Kafei aren't really the developed and deep characters I thought they were as a kid. In fact, the only real developed characters I could see were Tatl, the Bomb Shop owner, the Swordsman, and the Postman.

Not a bad game by any means. Again, it's one of my favorites, but I definitely think it's overrated.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Never had a problem with the 3 day system and really don't see why people hate it as much as they do >.> It's one of the games central focuses and I always thought it worked well and I was maybe only rushed one real time while playing the game. The game is also kind enough to make it that with the dungeons if you don't have enough time for a sit through of the entire dungeon, if you at least obtain the dungeon item you can skip a good chunk of the dungeon, or you could use save owls if you really wanted to which are always close to a dungeon. A save method besides the 3 day system just wouldn't have worked in the same sense because it'd take you out of the experience and kill some of the feeling that the game really offered.

I do wish the game was a tad longer though, but at the same time the game had me wanting to come back for more, and in that sense and just craving more. I really enjoyed my time through the game and it's definitely one I would pick up again for another play through. In some ways it's better that it was short because it accomplished pretty much everything it was trying to do in what I would call an enjoyable manner and ended without drawing itself out long like a good deal of games today do.

I really did enjoy myself with Majora's Mask though and I would say it's my favorite Zelda and in my top favorite games. It changed so much at the time while still remaining familiar, and that's just another reason I love it.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
I loved MM as it was an amazing sequel to OoT. It was also a good change from the normality that was everything else in the LoZ gameplay.

I also loved the 3 day system. It made it more intense, you had to get stuff done, and you had to time things well, especially for sidequests.

Speaking of which, it had the best sidequests in the series, the Anju and Kafe, and the Fierce Deity quests. Both of these top the Biggoron sword sidequest easy.

I can understand your point of view, but I personally disagree. MM was not my favorite, but would be my 3rd. Great game; not the best, but great.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
Ok, the saving I'll give you. I think if you could save where you are, when you are, and without losing or changing anything the game would be drastically easier to just pick up and play, without losing all of the awesome stuff the three day cycle adds to the game. Despite the fact that I regard the game as the best game ever and near-perfect, sometimes I will pick up Ocarina of Time instead of Majora's Mask because it's just so much easier to play for a half an hour and know that that half hour wasn't wasted. It definitely takes some effort and loyalty to play Majora's Mask a lot. So no, I don't hate playing it, but I definitely can see how you would.

Nope, it's my fave! Think of it this way: Super Mario Sunshine is the black sheep of the mario series. Majora's Mask is the black sheep of the zelda series. Most people nowadays love both of those games... wait... this is going nowhere... ok, ignore all that stuff i just said, i'm to lazy to delete all that. Let me start again... I like majora's mask... um... i guess that's all I needed to say... I respect your opinion, though. I really understand why so many people don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom