• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Anybody Miss the Hookshot?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Alright, let's be honest. We all used the Hookshot to go around the rooftops in Kakariko village for simple fun at least once. Now that that's out of the way, we can acknowledge that the Hookshot was a great item. I loved. I hope you loved it. I also love the Clawshots, but not as much. In SS, they became more of a gimick. I miss the simple fun of the Hookshot. Is the flying around with Clawshots really as fulfilling as the simple and beloved Hookshot?

Yes, I miss the hookshot. I'm not sure why Nintendo has tried to progressively worsen the item.

The grappling hook was still understandable. It was different from the hookshot but i enjoyed swinging around.

The clawshot is a very bland nerfed hookshot. Also, Nintendo has the idea that the double clawshots should be a separate upgrade. Why?

Different isn't always better.

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
Yes, I miss the hookshot. I'm not sure why Nintendo has tried to progressively worsen the item.

The grappling hook was still understandable. It was different from the hookshot but i enjoyed swinging around.

The clawshot is a very bland nerfed hookshot. Also, Nintendo has the idea that the double clawshots should be a separate upgrade. Why?

Well said my love.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I do miss the hookshot; but then again, I love the clawshots. With the hookshot, sure you can grapple from rooftop to rooftop, but you can grapple all over the place with the clawshots. I think, since they designed the clawshot, that it's going to become the new standard, a replacement for the hookshot. I prefer the clawshots personally, but I wouldn't mind seeing the hookshot again (mostly because of nostalgia). I don't think they're going to use the hookshot anymore though, at least not as much. Sadface :(

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
No, not at all. The clawshot is great. Having two is only the more beneficial. Skyward Sword did it right by having both acquired at once, but there was a nerf in removal of the retracting chain feature seen in Twilight Princess. Hope it sees a return.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

Pretty much what ALIT said here is my opinion. I liked the grappling hook because it was a totally separate item, but then they "revamp" the hookshot to (double) clawshots? What is this?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well essentially the Hookshot and the Clawshot are basically the smae concept of an item, only difference is visually and the Hookshot can hook onto different objects and surfaces. I actually prefer the Clawshot just for design purposes....

I think the question is rather the usage of the "Hookshot/Clawshot", yes it is a great item and it is really one of the more fun and unique items in the whole series. If Nintendo put a bigger emphasis on the item so it can be used a lot more outside of the dungeon and such, this dosn just go for the Hookshot bt many items. Also the Hookshot could be given many more uses , especially in combat, maybe you could grab victims from a far or steal items off the enemies Etc. I also think a good upgrade system for items/weapons could benefit the likes of the Hookshot.

Point is that to make this item a better item it needs to have more emphasis, variety of uses and maybe a decent upgrade system and like I said before this goes for a few of the other items in the game.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Alright, let's be honest. We all used the Hookshot to go around the rooftops in Kakariko village for simple fun at least once. Now that that's out of the way, we can acknowledge that the Hookshot was a great item. I loved. I hope you loved it. I also love the Clawshots, but not as much. In SS, they became more of a gimick. I miss the simple fun of the Hookshot. Is the flying around with Clawshots really as fulfilling as the simple and beloved Hookshot?

The Hookshot and the Clawshots are essentially one in the same. Their mechanics are almost identical, except that the Clawshots are much more versatile than the Hookshot. I suppose I miss the Hookshot, but it still [technically] lives on as the Clawshots.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I really liked the Double hookshot, and like K4K said, i liked it a lot in TP. the retractable chain was cool, being able to shift so you can use the second shot was fun in a lot of puzzles. I dont mind the clawshot, i just really dont like how they added the targets, i liked being able to hook on to anything.....well almost anything!

Starblast16

Hylian Swordsmaster
I miss the Hookshot a little. In my opinion, it had the potential to be a weapon. Just look at the Hookshot from WW. The "Hook" looks sharp enough to cause some serious damage and the part of the Hookshot that covers the forearm could possibly be used to defend yourself from attacks.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think the clawshots fail in that you, at least mainly in SS, have to hook onto special targets. You're also now told when you can latch onto something, while the Hookshot was trial and error.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
I miss the mystery of what the hookshot can grab onto. Ever since TP instituted the targeting function it's been a little less fun because it just doesn't grab onto as much stuff--and when it does it's painfully obvious that you're supposed to be clawshotting around. One of the best things about it in OoT was the fact that you could grab onto ridiculous things (like the roofs in Kakariko).

I do like having two, though, and I always feel like a boss when I get to play spiderman and shoot from wall to wall in TP or SS.

I loved the hookshot and Grappling Hook.
But anyone ever wish for the Link to the Past Hookshot to come back for a game?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, there are no more 2d games. The Hookshot simply changed for OoT and MM because 3d necessitated transition. I guess it would be kind of pointless and limiting in 3d, but some puzzles could be set up to resemble the 2d plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom