• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any thoughts about a possibility of having 2 villains?

I’ve been thinking for a while about the teaser and the thought of a zombie ganon intrigued me, how would you make him compelling as a villain? My idea uses my interpretation of the curse, when demise talks about the cycle he only says that his hatred will remain, but does Ganondorf seem like a being driven by hate? My theory is that this hatred is mostly used to create the monsters and what little power it has left is used to influence the being that it chooses. To support this theory if we look at the monsters in BotW there are far less and they are paired with ganon that is overcome by hatred.

So what I’m trying to say is, what if there is both a ganon and a Ganondorf as the body and spirit respectively, with the body being taken over by the hatred of demise and the spirit having ganondorf’s own personality uninfluenced by the hatred. Now I’m not saying that this should be some kind of redemption for him, maybe he could be a an ex ruler trying to regain control of his country or perhaps he tries to persuade the gerudo into a war with the hylians since he was jealous of The hylians rich, fertile lands in comparison to their baron sands. He doesn’t have to be revealed as a good guy but maybe a more understandable villain.

The idea of having both ganon and Ganondorf could be a good way of having link and Zelda playable or a reason for them to split up in the game with Zelda having maybe a more political battle with Ganondorf While Link would have the usual battle with ganon.

(P.s. Sorry if this reads really weirdly it’s like 1 am where I am.)

I think the Ganoncorpse we see in the trailer will simply 'rehydrate' and become something similar to what we're accustomed to.

I think the more interesting notion to think about is if he'll slowly regenerate over the course of the game or do it early on.

BotW cherry picks its lore from the timeline it literally drew a line under and deemed myth, so everything we know is like liquid at best with no definitive to the events of BotW and beyond until Aonuma says so.

However, I dont think there'll be too distinct Ganon/dorfs outside of a puppet-style Ganon, which may have even been what Calamity Ganon was.

Reactions: Dio

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Just give me one good villain. I really don't want Zelda to regress into just fighting Ganon again, who is evil because he's evil.
Agreed. One good, well-developed villain is always better than two half-baked villain characters.

I get the whole thing of Link, Zelda, and Ganon being eternally tied together in some sort of spirit bond (that's not the best description but I don't know what else to call it) was established as "lore" in SS, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a game that takes place in a time where Ganon is inactive and a new villain rises up with a different purpose other than destroying or controlling Hyrule. Just something, anything to give us someone new. Vaati was okay, but still very much your stereotypical "take over the world" type villain, from my perspective at least. I want to see some realistic motivations, maybe even a villain worth my sympathy.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Agreed. One good, well-developed villain is always better than two half-baked villain characters.

I get the whole thing of Link, Zelda, and Ganon being eternally tied together in some sort of spirit bond (that's not the best description but I don't know what else to call it) was established as "lore" in SS, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a game that takes place in a time where Ganon is inactive and a new villain rises up with a different purpose other than destroying or controlling Hyrule. Just something, anything to give us someone new. Vaati was okay, but still very much your stereotypical "take over the world" type villain, from my perspective at least. I want to see some realistic motivations, maybe even a villain worth my sympathy.

I just don't really buy into the triangle that links Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Two of the three are cardboard characters. Link stares vacantly at people and then shouts a lot, while Ganon just kind of shows up at the very last second, kidnaps Zelda, and then plays an evil organ.

I think some emphasis should be on making Ganon a villain with actual character and actual motivation. Not just some cackling buffoon set on capturing the big evil weapon and taking over the world.

Since Ganondorf(Oot) is Ganondorf(Tp) so does it mean the ganondorf in the trailer is the same ganon from Ocarina of time?
Oh,That's like so long.

I think the Ganondorf expectation will be subverted. I'm thinking either this is Yuga Ganondorf or this is Ganondorf, but will only be a puppet to a larger scheme.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac

nah, vaati had this whole harsh mentor relationship with ezlo that made a huge impact on why he turned out the way he did, it's a compelling backstory for a villain

I think ganon's backstories and motivations in general are also fairly compelling but people might just be tired of the same villain over and over

also does byrne count

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I’ve been thinking for a while about the teaser and the thought of a zombie ganon intrigued me, how would you make him compelling as a villain? My idea uses my interpretation of the curse, when demise talks about the cycle he only says that his hatred will remain, but does Ganondorf seem like a being driven by hate? My theory is that this hatred is mostly used to create the monsters and what little power it has left is used to influence the being that it chooses. To support this theory if we look at the monsters in BotW there are far less and they are paired with ganon that is overcome by hatred.

So what I’m trying to say is, what if there is both a ganon and a Ganondorf as the body and spirit respectively, with the body being taken over by the hatred of demise and the spirit having ganondorf’s own personality uninfluenced by the hatred. Now I’m not saying that this should be some kind of redemption for him, maybe he could be a an ex ruler trying to regain control of his country or perhaps he tries to persuade the gerudo into a war with the hylians since he was jealous of The hylians rich, fertile lands in comparison to their baron sands. He doesn’t have to be revealed as a good guy but maybe a more understandable villain.

The idea of having both ganon and Ganondorf could be a good way of having link and Zelda playable or a reason for them to split up in the game with Zelda having maybe a more political battle with Ganondorf While Link would have the usual battle with ganon.

(P.s. Sorry if this reads really weirdly it’s like 1 am where I am.)
I think the Ganoncorpse we see in the trailer will simply 'rehydrate' and become something similar to what we're accustomed to.

I think the more interesting notion to think about is if he'll slowly regenerate over the course of the game or do it early on.

BotW cherry picks its lore from the timeline it literally drew a line under and deemed myth, so everything we know is like liquid at best with no definitive to the events of BotW and beyond until Aonuma says so.

However, I dont think there'll be too distinct Ganon/dorfs outside of a puppet-style Ganon, which may have even been what Calamity Ganon was.

Why is this i just The Mummy feelings, with him rehydrating? Will he assimilate the fragments of calamity around the land to regain who and what he is?

I think it might the other way around there though spirit, cuz Calamity was stated to be what Ganon is when he finally gives up the cycle of reincarnation so maybe It's more the Ganoncorpse being the puppet, cuz honestly the way ganoncorpse is presented really feels like a good ole rite of ascension where one tries to ascend to godhood, could be his twisted attempted at re-starting the cycle, but as it were from a higher standing. Because lets be honest here the cycles is more of a spiral, with Link and Zelda ascending in terms of strength and Ganon descending, THOUGH BOTW seems to have inverted it, Link and Zelda are peeps just struggling under burdens they can't possibly handle and Ganon is victorious at long last.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Honestly, I feel like Ganoncorpse could just be the power another villain is trying to harness rather that the villain itself. I feel like that’s be better than two sub-par villains.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Since Ganondorf(Oot) is Ganondorf(Tp) so does it mean the ganondorf in the trailer is the same ganon from Ocarina of time?
Oh,That's like so long.
It wouldn't be as long, since Ganondorf dies permanently at the end of TP. Four Swords Adventures, which takes place after Twilight Princess for some reason, features a brand new Ganon. With that in mind, BotW is set after multiple timelines, so it wouldn't just be Ganon from FSA, it'd also be Ganon from the original LoZ and (maybe) Ganon from Wind Waker (I'm not sure whether or not it was confirmed that Ganondorf truly died at the end of WW like in TP).

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
It wouldn't be as long, since Ganondorf dies permanently at the end of TP. Four Swords Adventures, which takes place after Twilight Princess for some reason, features a brand new Ganon. With that in mind, BotW is set after multiple timelines, so it wouldn't just be Ganon from FSA, it'd also be Ganon from the original LoZ and (maybe) Ganon from Wind Waker (I'm not sure whether or not it was confirmed that Ganondorf truly died at the end of WW like in TP).
I would say Ganon was more dead after WW than TP. I'm gonna write a fanfic that goes into that a little more sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom