• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any Recommendations?

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
Hey there, Zelda Dungeon go-ers! I have a quick question for anyone who feels as though they can give me a good recommendation. Please! I am such the fiction reader.

I am looking for a book (possibly more than just one) that is considered a 'young adult' novel, and has 1 or more of the following:
- courtship/dating (Medieval Times... read the description of the book The Amaranth Enchantment for further explanation ---> http://www.julieberrybooks.com/amaranth.html )
- fantasy (anything from fairies to ogres)
- romance (keep it 'young adult' ... don't go all hard-core on me, if you catch my drift)

I know it's a bit broad and general, but what I like most is the 'young love' concept in fiction, and especially during the era of kings and queens; around 1500's - 1600's. If anyone could recommend me to one or a couple good books, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Read "The Thief of Always"
Someone young love. Its a VERY magical book. Not fantasy/medieval.
But a very different kind of magic.

Its about childhood. My favorite book.

Hanyou

didn't build that
The classic example is The Once and Future King, of course. It's not always in the young adult section, but it often is, and it's widely considered a classic. It's about King Arthur, so yeah, the love story is kind of central there.

There are only three other books I see in my personal collection that come close to meeting your parameters: Myst: The Book of Ti'anna, Myst: The Book of Atrus, and Dune.

The two Myst books are based on the game of the same name, but they're also extremely good. The Book of Ti'anna covers the fall of the D'ni civilization, and many of the mechanics set it squarely in the fantasy genre. The Book of Atrus is about the grandson of the characters in The Book of Ti'anna, who is also a major character in the games. Without giving too much away, I'll just say that romance plays an absolutely major part in both stories, and in both cases the characters are young. Even though neither one takes place in the middle ages, they're both highly recommended and I think they'll be right up your alley, if a bit unconventional.

Dune is an interesting one. It's acceptable for young adults, certainly, but it's usually in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section like most novels about that subject matter, including the Myst ones. Romance is not as major of a feature in the story, but I'll just say that I found the love story awfully touching and it added a lot to it. It also becomes more significant in subsequent Dune novels, if you want to explore those. I'm still not sure what you mean by courtship, but there is some ceremonial stuff dealing with the fremen that plays a part in the romance (I think it's a similar case for the Myst books, but I could be mistaken). Like The Once and Future King, it's a bona-fide classic and you'd be missing out if you didn't read it at some point.

Again, sorry if these don't exactly meet your parameters, but I hope they at least come close. :)

Nicole

luke is my wife
Hm, well, I know of a very good series that fits the fantasy/Midieval Times catagory. If I were you, I'd check out the Inheritance (Eragon) Cycle by Christopher Paolini. It does have slight romance. The final installment in the series is coming out in November, and is hinted to have more romance, but I can't be sure.

The Eragon books are a great read, in my opinion. {Short synopsis: A young dragon rider (Eragon) goes on a quest to rid the land of an evil tyrant (Galbatorix). Along the way he battles monsters, learns magic and swordfighting, and meets a slew of interesting people.} That's the main story, but there's a whole lot more to it. I highly recommend the series, it's pretty popular and is probably easy to find at your local library, too.

DreamDevourer

Born to Fail
The Fallen, by Thomas Snesgoski (something like that, don't feel like getting up to check). It's not medieval, but still is fantasy/teen romance. It's about a 17 year old who finds out he is a nephilim - the son of an angel and a mortal woman - and that he has to do nephilim stuff. On the side is his teen infatuation with a classmate who he must debate leaving behind, and who he must try to keep safe.

Again, I know it's not medieval, but it's a grade above the usual teen romancey book.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The Dragon-Keeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul, starting with DragonSpell, is a very good series. She made up her own classes which reflect the mystical creatures dreampt up on Earth...and of course, there are dragons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom