• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any metal fans here?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I saw a thing about a band recently where they were recording a song, and the songwriter had the lead vocalist redo the opening verse like 50 times until it was perfect. There was a scream going into the chorus, and when they finally got there, the guy just screamef out the frustration he had built up from having to redo the verse, and they were never able to recreate it. Anyone here that recognizes that story? What is the band/song? I didn't get a chance to listen to the song whenever I saw the story and I've forgotten since

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
There was a similar story about Bruce Dickinson recording Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast."

The story has been confirmed by the producer Martin Birch, and Bruce Dickinson himself.

The story went that Bruce joined the band as the vocalist, and due to his better voice and range, the bassist and bandleader Steve Harris wanted to tap into new and exciting things they couldn't do with their previous singer Paul Di'Anno.

Well Martin Birch was the producer, and Maiden went into the studio to record the album.

On the title track "Number of the Beast," Martin Birch said, in his own words:

I remember we spent ages getting the vocal intro to the title track right. We did it over and over and over until Bruce said: “My head is splitting. Can’t we move on and do something else and come back to this?”. But I wouldn’t let him do anything else until he’d got it perfect. It drove him crazy.

This went on for hours, I think Bruce and the band (Maiden records live in the studio, mind you) did that intro some 50 times or something of the sort.

This drove Bruce so crazy that he was throwing chairs across the room wanting to continue on.

But Birch wanted to get everything perfect.

And, totally paraphrasing here, Birch said something to the effect of:

Alright Bruce, that was pretty good. I think we got it. Can you do the scream leading into the second verse?

And then Bruce said, "Oh, willingly!" and delivered a rage fueled scream of frustration that's an iconic part of the song to this very day.

To this day, Bruce, as good a singer as he is, can't quite replicate that performance. It was one of those once in a lifetime takes.

The moral of this story is that to create something like this is to have great songwriters and musicians, as well as a great recording engineer that knows how to push the musicians' buttons to get the best performances out of them.

I have many more interesting things about some of our favorite metal songs, like type of equipment, and so on.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I won't call myself a metal fan because I like all kinds of music (except for some genres) but it's very funny how I used to dislike anything rock related when I was younger and my sister was (and still is) a metal headf. But during the years I started to appreciate rock and hardrock more and more. I'm a big fan of bands like AC/DC (my main fav), Dragonforce, Rammstein, Iron Maiden etc and love rock, classic rock, glamrock and heavy rock in general. I absolutely adore the guitar in rock/hard rock/metal. The drums are incredible too but a great guitar rif or loop can drive me insane! My fav guitar player is definitely Angus Young. Of course there are better ones but he's belongs to AC/DC :D :P

Hylian Viking

A modern day Hyrule warrior mean mean stride.
I occasionally listen to Motörhead, but I wouldn't say I am a true fan of metal. If anything I kind of prefer a band like Rush, where a few of their songs sound like borderline metal, but are more oriented towards Prog Rock and Hard Rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom