• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any Martial Artists Here at ZD?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
So, I was just wondering if any of you guys have studied or are studying a martial art.

I’m a brown belt in Wing Chun; a Chinese martial art. I’ve studied it for four years and have loved every minute of it. It’s a great way to get in shape, grow self confidence, make friends, and learn to defend yourself and others if the situation presents itself. It’s also a great way to learn about another culture.

My sparring record is 28-4-3 against other Brown belts in the class and 2-4-0 against Black belts in the class (needless to say, they’re better than me :dry: ). Aside from empty hand combat, I’ve also been trained to use knives, Nunchuckus, and Eskrima style bastons known as ‘Dragon Poles’ (sort of like Bo staffs).
My instructor is a really cool guy. He’s from Hong Kong and has taught me so much about the arts of defense and offense, and also about Southern Chinese culture.

Anyways, if any of you out there have any martial arts training and would like to share your experiences, please do so. I’d like to hear about them. Also, even if you have no formal training, I’d like to hear from anyone interested in martial arts. What styles or methods would you like to learn someday? What got you interested in martial arts?

I have;, Jujitsu. Very good to know. I've also done archery....if that counts (because there is a bow type Martial art...)

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
My parents (technically forced me) into learning Chinese martial arts when I was young. My background is Chinese. I still study it, but rarely use it in public. When I was 12 I started learning how to use a bow and now I arch very frequently in the Recreation Center here. I started learning swordplay when I was 13. My background knowledge of martial arts made learning how to fight with a sword easy. I am considered an expert Martial Artist and an advanced archer.

Whenever I visit China I always head to the Shaolin Monastery. Usually, foreigners are not allowed to learn their martial arts, but my grandparents are friends of the Shaolin headmaster(?) So whenever I head over there, I study the art a bit. I am trained in Kung-fu, Wushu and Qigong, although I won't mention what type as I study a wide variet of martial arts.

I've studied a lot of China's history so the origins of the martial arts are no mystery to me.

Last edited:

Batman

My parents (technically forced me) into learning Chinese martial arts when I was young. My background is Chinese. I still study it, but rarely use it in public. When I was 12 I started learning how to use a bow and now I arch very frequently in the Recreation Center here. I started learning swordplay when I was 13. My background knowledge of martial arts made learning how to fight with a sword easy. I am considered an expert Martial Artist and an advanced archer.

Whenever I visit China I always head to the Shaolin Monastery. Usually, foreigners are not allowed to learn their martial arts, but my grandparents are friends of the Shaolin headmaster(?) So whenever I head over there, I study the art a bit. I am trained in Kung-fu, Wushu and Qigong, although I won't mention what type as I study a wide variet of martial arts.

I've studied a lot of China's history so the origins of the martial arts are no mystery to me.

You my friend... are awesome.

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
I took Chien Hong southern style Chinese martial arts for about 5 years at the local school in my town. It is an open handed soft style that expresses movement and flexibility. This was a very interesting thing to learn over the course of a few years. Especially since the first few months were mostly physical conditioning and stretching. This normally weeded out quite a few students that wanted to get straight down to the punching and kicking immediately. However that was not the purpose, it was to get the individual ready so that they would be capable of handling the techniques that came much later. I have been to many exhibitions but rarely did we do many tournaments. The school was a member of a league so they were accepted as tournament contestants but it was not thought well of.

Then at college I joined a local WMA/ARMA, also called HEMA in some countries, or western martial arts group that was there. They have been getting a lot of momentum lately and a lot of historians and reinactors are doing a lot of research into bringing back the old arts. Along with the manuscript people are the actual trainers of skills that never died at all in in Spain and Italy like the Fiore school of fencing, Fechtschule school of combat, Barista unarmed, and They are dedicated to restructuring and retraining people in the traditional martial arts stylings of Medieval and Renaissance Europe and often make heavy use of arming swords, halbereds, rapier, and hand and a half. There are a few other courses for other more complicated arms for those who wish to learn but those are for the historians and the ones who wish to recreate the lost skill. There is a strict regimen of training involved and it is not a reinactment group by any means. These are actual skills and trained arts that were developed over centuries in several nations which were lost over the years in the transition towards more modern military techniques. however many have discovered that many of these skills were not quite lost but folded into modern military training regimens and the origins of which were forgotten. A large part of their core is putting down the idea that there were no martial traditions or heavily trained techniques in the western world. I was largely unaware of them myself but I am loving the rapier schools there. They have a much more well rounded curriculum that includes much more than weapon combat but unarmed and grappling as well.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I am most certainly trained as well. I have professional training in kickboxing, Tai Chi, and japanese swords with my master Sherry McGregor.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
If you consider it so(even though it's not lol) then Boxing. I practiced it when I was younger, I always had an interest in Martial Arts but never had the chance to learn any. The one I'd go on and practice would be Capoiera, the Brazilian martial art.

triforce_power

One of the Sheikah
I have a black belt in Kenpo Karate, I've been doing it for about 4 1/2 years, and I love it :)
It's a great way to get fit and feel strong, even though sometimes they make us excercise like CRAZY so the next day you wake up all sore

I do Tae Kwon Do :) I've been doing it for about four years now I think and am a Red Belt/Black Tag. Hopefully becoming a Black belt in October. The martial art of the exp;osive kicks :D I agree with you as well, I've loved every minute of it :)

Batman

I do Tae Kwon Do :) I've been doing it for about four years now I think and am a Red Belt/Black Tag. Hopefully becoming a Black belt in October. The martial art of the exp;osive kicks :D I agree with you as well, I've loved every minute of it :)

That's cool. I've always wanted to try Taekwondo. I hope to get my black belt in Wing Chun this July. :)

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I took Karate for awhile but I don't remember what style it's a long story why I stopped. When I get a job of my own I plan on Aikido or American Kenpo. I also plan on learning some weapons like the Sai and Tonfa.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Same as you! But we go to the same lessons, so that's obvious... But yeah, I love TKD because it's great for a self confidence boost and getting into shape. Also, the actual technique is hard to master, but extremely fun once you get it! Sparring is amazingly fun as well! Hoping for my Black-belt in October!

I've been studying and training Judo for 13 years and currently am a 2nd degree black belt(nidan).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom