• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any Favorite Music Artists OUTSIDE of the US?

DarkAssassinXer

Dweller of the Clockwork
I know most music artists tend to get started here in the states, but does anyone here have a favorite artist that started in another country?

I'd have to say my favorite is Lotus Juice from Japan. He's done a lot of the Shin Megami Tensei music but the past few years they've begun doing concerts and are considering a worldwide tour.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Oh, I have quite a few.

For one, My MOST favorite foreign group is Infected Mushroom. (They're from Israel - they do Psytrance) They're actually my second favorite music artist altogether.

I also enjoy Bullet for My Valentine (UK), Pendulum (Australia), Mono Inc. (German), Nightwish (Norwegian? I think?), E-Nomine (German), Plenty of Japanese music, Basshunter -(Swedish), Ozone (Romanian), Scooter (German), and Tatu, Virus, Slot, Sveta, and Kraski are all Russian.

There's Still more, but those are the ones I can think of right off the bat.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Elton John, Pink Floyd, Simple Plan, deadmau5, The Beatles...actually when you think about it a lot of famous musical artists and bands didn't start in the US. Heck, nearly every famous Classical artist was from Europe. What I'm trying to say is that it is almost pointless to exclude musical artists whom got their start in the US. I guess this is a bit of a rant, but it's easy to forget that a lot of big bands and famous musical artists were not from the US.

I feel like I'm at a bit of an advantage in coming from the UK here :P
Thought I'd try to avoid the ones that I know have big names in the US (which is a lot, mind).
Frank Turner and Seth Lakeman are two fantastic artists from the UK that don't have a huge grounding outside of the UK, though I think Turner is on the rise.
Here's a track from each if you're interested:

Frank Turner- Recovery- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1L5zJ2afLs
Seth Lakeman- Lady of the Sea- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nddD_zEVTDE

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I feel like I'm at a bit of an advantage in coming from the UK here :P
Now that I think about it, maybe this thread should be renamed, hm?
like- instead of "Outside of the US" maybe it should just be "foreign artists"....

Because what's foreign to me, is not foreign to you. And Japanese culture may be foreign to the US, but it's not to Japan. Same goes for any other culture. ^^

This gives the thread it's true meaning. He just wants to know who listens to music that didn't have it's roots in the country of the listener. :)

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Heaps, when I think about it.

Richard O'Brien
Ali Project
Etnic
Nightwish
Kanon Wakeshima
David Bowie
KanonxKanon
Lily Allen
FLOW
Nena
Asian Kung-Fu Generation
The Cranberries
Culture Club
JAM Project
Judy and Mary
Babymetal
Sarah Brightman
Aqua
t.A.T.U

...Just to name a few. This list could probably be so much longer but I'll cut myself off with these.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well Coldplay's pretty much my favorite band, and they're from the UK. Also Zedd's pretty awesome, and he's from Germany

Garo

Boy Wonder
Frank Turner and Seth Lakeman are two fantastic artists from the UK that don't have a huge grounding outside of the UK, though I think Turner is on the rise.
Here's a track from each if you're interested:

Frank Turner- Recovery- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1L5zJ2afLs

YES. Frank Turner is my favorite artist overall, and it pains me that he's so unknown here in the States. He opened for the Olympics, guys, did nobody see that!?

I was fortunate enough to catch one of his relatively few U.S. shows recently, and it was the best live show I've ever been to. The man is fantastic. He really understands the absurd core of punk rock, the idea that it is at its most basic a really, really stupid thing, and he just runs with it. I love him.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Considering I don't think any of my favourite musicians come from the US (sorry yanks!), I find this thread quite easy to reply to. :P So maybe I'm the wrong person to be replying, but, to hell with it! I guess a list of my all-time favourite individual musicians would be as follows, and what is an extremely British-dominated list too:

Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
Ian Brown (The Stone Roses)
John Lennon & Paul McCartney (Beatles)
Eric Clapton
Johnny Marr (The Smiths)
Keith Richards (Rolling Stones)
Damon Albarn (Blur/Gorillaz)
Gary Barlow (Take That)
James Blunt
Roger Daltry & Keith Moon (The Who; I added Moon just because of how crazy he was)

I don't know how many of those names Americans will actually know of, I'm guessing Gorillaz, Rolling Stones and The Who will ring a few bells, but that's what I think of from the very top of my head. One thing I love is great writing, and a lot of that list are some of the best songwriters I think there's ever been (Lennon & McCartney, and Noel Gallagher especially). I'm probably just a product of my environment and culture but I do think British music is the best, and I don't listen to any music that isn't English either because of the above point of liking the writing. American stuff is good, just not really in any kind of Top 10 for me.

prince rallis

I'm a huge metal fan.
Most of the bands I listen to aren't from the states in fact the only U.S. band I really listen too is Dio.

So here are the non U.S. bands I really enjoy:

Dark Moor(Spain)
Rhapsody of Fire(Italy)
Wintersun(Finland)
Ensiferum(Finland)
Eluvietie(Sweden)
Korpiklaani(Finland)
Sabaton(Sweden, I think)

also I think Edenbrigde is not from the U.S. but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
YES. Frank Turner is my favorite artist overall, and it pains me that he's so unknown here in the States. He opened for the Olympics, guys, did nobody see that!?

I was fortunate enough to catch one of his relatively few U.S. shows recently, and it was the best live show I've ever been to. The man is fantastic. He really understands the absurd core of punk rock, the idea that it is at its most basic a really, really stupid thing, and he just runs with it. I love him.

Awesome! I only discovered him really recently through a friends recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom