• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anti-virus, Anti-spam. Program Removers

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I use Avast Home Edition and it works like a charm for me. I am very satisfied with it. It works in the background and doesn't slow down my pc.
ccCleaner is also a tool I use on a daily base. It removes programs which aren't listed in Add/Remove Programs. And it discovers mistakes in your register and will repair it for you.
Revo I used to get rid off all Adobe programs last week when I had to reinstall everything. Often when you remove a program there still might be traces left behind in your Register. This program scans your computer and removes them out of your register so no trace will be left behind. It is not something you should do often since register is very vunerable and one mistake and you could ruin your pc.

So what programs do you use? And are you satisfied about it? Let's discus :)

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I currently have Norton and, being perfectly honest, it annoys the heck out of me. For some reason whenever it's doing 'something', and I have yet to figure out what it's doing, it causes audio jumps. Youtube will jump around and freeze up, a computer program such as iTunes will do the same.

In the past i've used AVG and for a time it was great. Free and seemed to do the job. Switched from that when I noticed that it had seemingly skipped over a large number of files and let them contaminated.

I fully intend to go back to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, it gets the job done, and it's simple enough to use.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus and I have no problem with it at all. I have had problems with Norton and Avast which is why I don't use them anymore.

Purple_Rupee

They call me Ammi
AVG, Plus I just set my laptop through the command chart to reset the "windsock" upon resetting or basically clean out my virus filter so that I can be sure of safe internet surfing. AVG is a bit rustic but if you match it alongside basic windows virus protection its a pretty solid combo. And it gives me the stability I need as far as working on and offline.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus and I have no problem with it at all. I have had problems with Norton and Avast which is why I don't use them anymore.

Avast is running like a charm for me. I use it for several years now and never had problems with it. Norton I dislike. Whenever I get Norton I directly uninstall it

Avast is running like a charm for me. I use it for several years now and never had problems with it. Norton I dislike. Whenever I get Norton I directly uninstall it

I agree. I've been using Avast, and it's been a real life-saver.

Norton ruined one of my PCs, as one of it's files got corrupted, and the system panicked, so it wouldn't work.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I had a lot of trouble with AVG. It sucked up a lot of resources constantly, whether it was running a scan or not. And you couldn't close it or disable it. It'd just open itself up again if you tried to force it to close. It sucked up more resources from my computer than the viruses did. I had to uninstall it. For now I'm just relying on the default anti-virus included with Windows. It works for the basic stuff. And I never have an issue with more serious ones. You have to be pretty careless to run into those.

Apparently, according to my dad, I'm a "data junkie", so for a quite a while in the past, I've been prone to pick up viruses during my scavenging for media [mostly images]. So, I had, like, three different anti-virus software installed on my system for extra security. Norton Internet Security--because my dad pays for it, Malwarebytes': Anti-Malware, and Spybot: Search and Destroy. Now that I'm mostly isolated to only a few sites, Huey--my computer--does not get viruses and trojans quite as often. So, my dad allowed me to uninstall Spybot. What Spybot mostly did was inform you of any system changes trying to be made by a program or process. Just, like, in case a virus is puppeting your computer. It was just annoying when you were updating something like Adobe Flash, and it'd have to ask you to accept the changes.

Norton is alright. It's kind of harsh on my computer's memory, though. And it though typically handles most attacks to my system when I get them on occasion, if it doesn't catch one, and it infects my system, Norton will never catch it nor clean it up. And that is what I use Malwarebytes' for. I don't have it set up to be my primary anti-virus software, because... again, my dad pays for Norton, so I kind of have to use that. But anyways, Malwarebytes' is really great at cleaning up most viruses. All of the viruses that Huey has been infected with since I've installed Malwarebytes' have been found and quarantined. And it even logs each scan for me, so I can go and check it out when the scan is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom