• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler ~Another Look at the E3 2010 Skyward Sword Trailer's Intro

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I've adapted this post into an article, so go ahead and read it, then discuss it here.

Do you think the silhouette at 0:32 was Skull Kid, or just a mutant Skulltula?

What do you think about sword spirits?

Could this new character be an interloper?

What connections between interlopers, the Dark Tribe, the ancient tribe, and the Sheikah could this game explore?

Last edited:
Locke....Read my post below from another thread, but may be a relevant addition to the things you found.

This may be pushing it a little bit, but during one shot of the trailer (the balancing tight rope scene) (0:28-0:31) there is a blurry figure in the background. Now, it is a little easier to grasp in the video than in the screenshot I have, but the outline and coloring of the figure looks like it has the potential to be one of three things:

1. Just a statue (maybe plays a role similar to the owl statues from previous games...it does look like it is placed next to a large door with a lock...possibly the boss door, and so maybe it is a save point for you prior to entering the boss room).

2. The thin head and body proportions make it look very similar to the Twili of TP (maybe it's a combo of #1 & #2 and is a statue of a Twili person).

3. A large and tall Oocca (this is the most interesting possibility to me, especially if this dungeon in the trailer is in Skyloft...maybe in the distant past Oocca were much larger than what they eventually became to be in TP. And once again it could be a statue of an Oocca).

Watch this scene in the trailer again to fully appreciate the figure.

Let me know what you think.

SSshot.jpg

View attachment 10030

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Yes, I noticed that. I told myself not to think anything of it because it might as well just be #1. I remember a dungeon in WW also had similar statues near doors, so it may just be a gameplay device (save/warp, perhaps a puzzle element), or another minor piece of evidence tying the TotG to Skyloft. I don't think there's any reason yet to connect it to interlopers or Oocca, despite the other connections in the trailer.

Yes, I noticed that. I told myself not to think anything of it because it might as well just be #1. I remember a dungeon in WW also had similar statues near doors, so it may just be a gameplay device (save/warp, perhaps a puzzle element), or another minor piece of evidence tying the TotG to Skyloft. I don't think there's any reason yet to connect it to interlopers or Oocca, despite the other connections in the trailer.

I agree that there is a good chance that it isn't much of anything. Here is a better screenshot of that same scene with slightly better resolution around the edges of the figure. From looking at this image I'm almost 100% sure that it is a statue of some kind and not an actual being or character. The "leg" area looks like a straight, formless base leading to the ground like a statue would have. However, it does seem very Oocca-like to me. The head is small, the neck is long and thin, and it appears that there may be small wings outstretched on either side (possibly holding something in the middle). If true, then they may play a very important role in this game.

Also, this image gives you a better view of the door, and I'm almost positive that this door is the same door they show later in the trailer where you are rotating the 3-D key to try and open the door by inserting it in the correct orientation. Because of the placement of this statue next to this door, I do think it is something important. Maybe the "key" for the door is being held by the statue (as mentioned in my first paragraph, it looks as if there is something in the middle of the statue....the coloring is slightly darker). So maybe this statue is a table or resting spot for the key (the key may also be something you have to find in the dungeon...like the boss/big keys from previous titles).

SSshot2.jpg

Oocca.jpg

The only thing I disagree with is the Gilded Sword having a spirit.

First of all, the Gilded Sword was forged in Majora's Mask, which takes place far after Skyward Sword. Also, why would a spirit even reside in it (a sword that doesn't even exist yet)? The Gilded Sword is just the Razor Sword forged with some gold dust, and the Razor Sword is just an upgraded Kokiri Sword. There is nothing to suggest the Gilded Sword would have a spirit like there's evidence for the Gale Boomerang having a spirit. Furthermore, the Gilded Sword isn't required by players to obtain, whereas a sword like the Master Sword is, essentially making the Gilded Sword meaningless in the grand scope of the Zelda series.

The only way I can see that happening is if at the end of the game Link kills the bad guy and he turns into a cloud of golden dust, which is then transported across the dimensional vortex into Termina and given to the Gorons. That itself is incredibly ridiculous.

Just because they have similar colors doesn't mean they're directly correlated. I think that theory is laughable. Other than that, though, great article.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Bama, I think you've discovered something incredible there. I can see the Oocca-ness of the statue now.

As for the door, I think what we're looking at are the boss doors for two different dungeons. The one that actually shows the puzzle is in the fire dungeon, having the same (well, similar) 'fire' symbols as those seen on the floor of the Lizalfos room (and I thought I had seen the symbol somewhere else too).
The one in the tightrope scene has different symbols, and the 'key' is a different shape. I'm not sure which dungeon this is. It could be part of the ice dungeon, or a forest/wind dungeon, or a more generic temple-dungeon. I don't think it's in the mechanical dungeon, as that has some distinguishable symbols of its own.

I'll try to get some comparison screenshots up shortly.

edit: After examining the symbols in each scene, I see a total of four dungeons displayed in the trailer: a mechanical dungeon, a relic dungeon, a fire dungeon, and an ice dungeon.

These all seem to be from the mechanical dungeon. I've highlighted the gold plus symbol, but other common symbols include the grates on the floor and high on the walls of the Mech Totem scene as well as the strange circle design seen on the rightmost wall of the Mechat (temp. name for the flying spheres) scene and repeated on the walls of the Totem room.

mechsymbol1.png

mechsymbol2.png

The relic dungeon interests me the most.

First, I think the door at the beginning of the trailer is the entrance. The trefoil-like symbol in the corners appears over a couple other doors as well. Also, the pillars around the door look similar to the ones around that other puzzle door.

relicsymbol.png

relicsymbol1.png

This arch pattern also appears in another scene with the beetle, and I assume the scene with Skull Kid is also from the same dungeon since the beetle is used there as well.

relicsymbol2.png

The fire and ice dungeons are a bit easier to distinguish and don't really need an analysis except to compare the puzzle door to the Lizalfos room.

firesymbol1.png

firesymbol2.png

The Skulltula and the Spear Moblin are both in the ice dungeon, marked by frozen or white plantlife.

I assume the four-armed Stalfos is in the fire dungeon, just from the red tint of the scene. I had originally thought the Ravana-like statue was in the relic dungeon, but I can't find any symbols to tie it there. The scales on the roof aren't quite the same as the arch pattern, I see no trefoil, and Link has the whip equipped rather than the beetle.

ravanasymbol.png

A close look at the door might be beneficial, though I don't see any similarities right off the bat.

Also, the scene with the rolling enemy doesn't appear to be within a dungeon at all.

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical

If you look carefully, instead of the object being an incredibly tall occa, it could simply be an occa resting post. The occa sits on top of the little square post, waiting on Link. Is this implying that the occa will be present throughout, and maybe even in Skyloft? :O

Also, about the Skull Kid like figure at 00:32. That, is definitely Skull Kid. The stance, the glowing eyes, everything is befitting!

Djinn

and Tonic
Yes I can definitely see an Oocca sitting on top of a small pillar now. Before I could never understand where people were getting that from. The puzzle door I think is interesting because of the artistic style it has. It looks to have a fairly mesoamerican look to it, and that has appeared in previous games before. Also associated with the sky.

The abandoned Fortress of Winds from MC has the same look.
5340970-skylark-albums-zelda-resources-picture8144-710.png

It is also guarded by the boss Mazaal
Mazaal.gif

Which bears a resemblance to Gohdan
gohdan.jpg

While FSA shows us the later Palace of Winds which can closely resemble the strange structure Link is standing in front of near the beginning of the video. In the pic where he is shown to be using a different sword.

800px-Palace_of_Winds_Entry.png

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Solid stuff, Locke. I don't know if I really have much to add right now as such because I'm not the biggest theorist, but you really pulled a lot of great info from the trailer to think about. I originally looked at the trailer and thought it didn't reveal much, but there's secrets (and maybe moreso - questions) abound in many of the scenes. Anyway, good job, I just wanted to let you know!

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Yes, it does seem to share a lot of MC elements as well. I intentionally left them all out of the article to stick with the theme, but SS may also show a connection between the Oocca and MC's sky people.

I edited my previous post with screenshots pointing out the symbols of the dungeons.

Thanks basement! I thought the same thing when I first saw it.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
The Fairy Girl and the Skyward Sword

So, Locke's article made me think a bit more.
As he pointed out, the D Icon looks EXACTLY like the fairy queen. Down to every detail, she no longer has the diamond on her head or the sword-like hair.
It gave me an interesting idea.
Notice how in the trailer, it shows a green sword instead of the Master Sword. We can assume that this Green Sword is infact the Skyward Sword, and it was made to look like a smaller green MS to differentiate it from the MS itself. The spirit of the SS could look like the Fairy Queen (who has a slightly green pigment to her) and eventually turn into the figure in the artwork when she becomes the Master Sword.
What do you think?

Locke...noticing the symbols around the dungeons really opened my eyes to distinguishing different parts of the trailer. That's great stuff, thanks for that.

With respect to the "relic" dungeon you mention with the trefoil symbol, I agree with you that the tight-rope scene with the door (and you're right that the door keyhole is a different shape then the one they show in close-up) and statue in the background is definitely within that same dungeon. That's obvious now. However, not sure if you see it the same way, but the trefoil symbol to me is simply a 3-parted leaf. In the screenshot below you can even clearly see the veins of leaf in the stone. This makes me think that the "relic" dungeon may be a new visualization of the re-used Forest Temple idea. If that is the case, then the gold robot powered by the "new guy/girl" may very well be the boss battle for this temple, because I could also see the purple scales of the room as overlapping flower petals....think of yourself and the boss being inside a giant, closed pre-bloomed flower. It's possible that after you defeat that boss, that maybe the boss room explodes open to reveal that the entire temple has been built around a giant flower, and the explosion of the robot has now caused it to bloom. So in a way the temple has now become a part of the surrounding field.

templeleafdoor.jpg

MrLuigi

Theorist
What I really don't like about the article is how you mentioned something relevant to the advancement of technology. There was a quote stating if the Zelda team wanted something in that was ahead of Zelda's time they would do it. I also didn't like how you mention the City in the Sky being Skyloft when there are cold hard facts that distinguishes that they are two desperate things.

Good article.

David

But you called me here...
Hey all. Great article Locke. Really really detailed and full of awesome theories that are totally plausible.

Anyway, the real purpose of my post is to show you an "enhanced" version of the screenshot of that statue. (I only enhanced it. I didn't edit it at all in any way to make it look like I want it to look) I darkened, sharpened, and increased the quality of the image to give you this:

enhanced-image.png

I hope it helps you all see what it really is. If I end up editing it further to get it even better, I'll be sure to post it.

Oh, and looking at the shape of the puzzle key on the door, this is a different door than the one Link was solving in the trailer.

Its amazing how Photoshop can really enhance images for both personal, and theoretical use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom