• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time "Annoying" Navi?

Is Navi really that annoying?

• Yes, she's my least favorite character of any video game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, I really wish she weren't in OoT

• Sort of, I liked some of her stuff, but she did get annoying at times

• Not really, alot of her stuff was really helpful to me

• No, she's one of my favorite charecters in Oot/Zelda in general

• Total voters

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
It's a little bit annoying to hear her yell when she has something to tell you or when you're engaging in a fight with Z target, but it doesn't hinder me when I'm playing, and as mentioned, it's optional to take her advice (except the Deku Tree dungeon). Overall I like her ... she's cool and actually helpful to Link, unlike Tatl who's a sassy little brat (keeping my opinion on her PG rated lol).

I

Iron Knuckle

No, i find her really anoying, if i can't find out what to do, i'll search it on google or whatever, she normally just repeats whatever other characters say, but sometimes she'll tell you something important like that thing she says about death mountian

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I found her a bit annoying as a game mechanic - the "Hey Listen!" got to be too much when I was purposefully going away from where I was "supposed" to go in order to do something that was on my mind - sometimes I just want to explore, or go get rupees or hearts or something without being reminded that I have to go to Death Mountain right away...

But I like her as a character. I like the *idea* of her, first of all - I have a thing for "Guardian" characters. If my original fiction/books ever find a proper agent and wind up being published, you'll see "guardians" as being a regular feature of Shadsie-works, though my guardian-types usually take the form of animals, not faeries. Whenever I've played OoT, I've gotten the feeling throughout the game that she really does care about Link (she keeps you on mission, but she also helps you watch out for things), and the end battle with Ganondorf where she said she would stay with you and fight with you - she totally earned my respect then.

And in the manga (which I've only read online, sadly), where she is fleshed out more as a character - she is really cute - Akira Himkeawa gave her a really cute personality.

So, I picked the middle option. Some things about Navi I find really grating, but I find a lot to like about her, too - and I think a lot of the "annoying, Navi must die!" stuff is exaggerated in the fandom for humor. I like her, but am not above laughing at comics in which Link is zapping her with bug-spray just becuase it's funny.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I liked Navi a little bit, but she was annoying from time to time. A lot of her information and tips did really help you progress the game. Her constant nagging to have you listen to her thought really did give me a headache. "Hey! Listen!" times ten. That'll drive you insane. Sometimes I just got to the point of muting the volume on the television just to tune her out.

Mute

一員
Honestly, Navi isn't as annoying as people say, but she still annoys me a bit. It's not that she says "HEY! LISTEN!" all the time, it's the fact that when she says it, I won't be able to press Up-C to look around without having to listen to her. Sure, it's completely optional, but I always look around with the first-person camera in every game I play, I enjoy seeing everything around me. It's even more annoying because, despite giving information, most of it I know already or really don't care at the moment. As for enemies, I never used her, instead I would just swing my sword and stuff would die, so she really didn't help with those, either. Just to add more to it, she never was all that amazing to me as a character, the only thing she did that made her seem more like a character and less like "That fairy who tells you about things." was during the final battle. (Of course, there's a chance I'm wrong here, I haven't played the game in a year.)

I've seen Kaepora Gaebora brought up a bit in this thread, too. He's actually not that annoying to me, that's because if I really don't want to read what he says, I just press B once and it skips through everything. He's too easy to deal with and isn't seen often enough to be annoying to me.

However, I think Navi is annoying. Not as annoying as a lot of people say she is (Despite how it seems from what I typed up.) but still annoying.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I've seen Kaepora Gaebora brought up a bit in this thread, too. He's actually not that annoying to me, that's because if I really don't want to read what he says, I just press B once and it skips through everything. He's too easy to deal with and isn't seen often enough to be annoying to me.

His nuisance to me is that while you can speed through most of his dialogue, his first couple lines still scroll at normal speed (and the whole thing does when he's at Zora's River). That, and the cutscenes with him jack with the camera angle. While it's not too detrimental, I still would do without him if I had the choice to.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I don't find Navi so much annoying as I do infuriatingly amusing. It was never her "Hey!"s or "Listen!"s that bothered me; more often than not I don't even notice her little yells. Rather, it was the actual stuff she said that got on my nerves.

Not to say that all of her comments were bad. The gameplay comments she gives at the beginning inside the Deku Tree would be helpful to some newer or younger players, and some of the directional hints she gives would be useful to the really casual players, but since most of us here are really experienced with Zelda games, we tend to find her comments obvious and obnoxious by default. Since we know where we're going and how to do what needs to be done, Navi starts to look a bit like Captain Obvious after a while, which is a reason she gets on a lot of people's nerves.

There's also her timing, which I found amusingly terrible. That may have just been me, but I've had her stay quiet until right before I want to go first person view, and right as I hit ^C she decides to speak up and interrupt me. She also seems to enjoy giving hints at the most amusing spots, like the time I was inside Death Mountain Crater and she decided to remind me that I had to go check out Death Mountain. I never really found it all that annoying though, just rather hilarious.

As for the poll, I would have picked "Not really" had her hints actually been helpful at all to me personally, but hey. *shrugs* To me it seemed she was a partner designed for first-time inexperienced players, and as far as that role is concerned she does a tolerable job.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, the "advice" she forces down your throat is very annoying and the fact that you can't skip it via the B button is annoying, but other than that, she's not really annoying.

In fact, it's cool to see how she cares for Link like he was her own child always telling him to watch out when there's a monster nearby and stuff and be careful.

The little things you actually hear in game aren't that annoying either. I barely even notice it, actually. Heck, there've even been cases where I never even noticed she wanted to tell me something until I looked at the items I had equipped and saw that little Navi button.

Also, the first time playing through, I thought her enemy analysis's were very helpful (aside from that of Volvagia and Ganon in which she simply said "I don't know their weak point").

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Sure, Navi was annoying in the Deku Tree, and possibly at one or two other locations, but once you get past those unoptional segments, she's best kind! That said, those moments were for players new to the game/Zelda in general/OMG3D!!!. I dare say we only find that boring now 'cause we know what to do and what's going to happen. All in all, she helps you out, giving you advice on how to defeat the enemies, and she was nice about it - why I didn't like Tatl or Midna as much. Other than the previously mentioned moments, I found the only annoying thing about her was that she didn't talk when I sas lost. I'd be going around, trying to figure out where I was in the game, and I'd wait for her to tell me to check out "Zora's Domain", "Death Mountain" or wherever, but no luck. So far, she's been my favourite sidekick.

Ralis

Prince of the Zoras
Yeah she got annoying at times. But there were a few times when I would have been stuck without her. Sorta like Midna. And Spirit Zelda. Basicly all of your guides in all of the games.

L

Link's Shadow

She was OK, except for when a couple of times when I Z-targeted an enemy and I wouuld accidentally press the up C-stick and she would stop my battle to give me a paragraph long explanation of the enemy I was looking at. That was when she got annoying.

Like Shadsie said, I think the "hate" is over-exaggerated in the fanbase just because it's funny. Doesn't mean that the majority absolutely hates her, but it's a main source of humor for us all, so we all went along with it. Personally, I still don't find her annoying when I'm playing through OoT for the tenth plus time. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it, because I sure don't need her advice for anything anymore since I'm so familiar with the game. I did think Tatl had a bit more personality, but just wasn't as helpful, which I think was on purpose because of MM's heightened difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom