• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time "Annoying" Navi?

Is Navi really that annoying?

• Yes, she's my least favorite character of any video game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, I really wish she weren't in OoT

• Sort of, I liked some of her stuff, but she did get annoying at times

• Not really, alot of her stuff was really helpful to me

• No, she's one of my favorite charecters in Oot/Zelda in general

• Total voters
Seriously, am I the ONLY Zelda fan that doesn't find Navi annoying? I honestly don't. Sure, there's the occasional pop-up like feature where you're actually forced to listen to her explain stuff like how to swim underwater or open doors. Sure, that's annoying. But ok, she says "hey" and "listen" a million times. Is that really so annoying? Really? First of all, you can barely freakin hear it to begin with, I'm usually too busy doing whatever it is she's trying to tell me to do to even notice she's saying it. Actually, Navi is one of my most favorite characters of any Zelda game! I love being able to stand in a dark dungeon, and call out a little fairy to lighten up a bit (ok, this obviously isn't her purpose in the game, but it's still fun). I wish she was in every Zelda game, I'm even a little bugged her being replaced with Tatl in MM.
On the other hand, is she really not that annoying to players, but it's simply funnier to exaggerate how much we all hate her for humor's sake? If so, I basically feel like a giant jack*** for bringing it up, but I'd rather just know once and for all. Personally I hope it's the second option, because I think she really deserves more respect than she gets. This is just my two cents... Comments?

S

Sturgeon

But ok, she says "hey" and "listen" a million times. Is that really so annoying?

YES.
Especially when you're concentrating on a boss or something and then you hear "HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! WATCH OUT!"
I mean jeez. Or just casually wandering around, having her trying to make you LISTEN!!!! to her just to say that you should hurry to the next dungeon. For most Zelda-fans, you would wish that whenever you catch a fairy in a bottle, you wish it was blue and named Ivan backwards.

I just don't really know about that. I personally like how she says "watch out!" when she finds an enemy for you to target. And I'm playing through the game for the third time now, and don't recall ever hearing her during a boss fight. Maybe it's just something with my TV volume or something like that, but I just don't really hear that that much. It seems like the music and sound effects are always so loud they block out Navi's small little voice.

Seamus

Pinball Wizard
Just ignore her -_-
I only found it annoying when you really had to talk to her, not when it was optional. IMO Kaepora Gaebora is much more annoying, because he talks longer and its not optional (unless you glitch)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I liked Navi but I voted the middle tab. She's probably my favorite help character but at times I would be in the middle of something and suddenly "HEY!". Though she was definitely better than Tatl, Ezlo, and Midna. She helped you and didn't boss you around like the rest of them, like a sidekick should. The only person I may like better than her as a helper is Zelda from ST.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
Well...I'll admit that I wasn't particularly fond of her "politely reminding me" to carry on to the next dungeon and proceed with the story when I'm busy with side questing, nor am I a fan of her pointing out the obvious (THIS WALL HAS VINES ON IT. DON'T STEP IN THE LAVA. YOU CAN'T BREATHE UNDERWATER), but other than that, I find her to be especially adorable. For the most part, she lets Link do his own thing, watches out for him and keeps him in check, and at the end you come to realize that she's more than just another guardian fairy. She wants to rid Hyrule of evil just as much as Link does and will do everything she can to aid him.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
She's not all that annoying, though I'll never forget "What would Saria say if we told her we were going to save Hyrule?" (she even said it in the manga!)
Oh and there's also "Those Iron Boots look pretty heavy! Maybe they could sink to the bottom of a lake"

The only other bad thing is "HEYY!" "LISTEN!" and every time you L-Target (I have Collectors Edition) an enemy, she yells "WATCH OUT!"

Sometimes she is pretty helpful, especially when you Target enemies.

Last edited:
B

boomerang

I don't think she's that annoying. of course its the first time I'm playing the game.

I'd like to know thought, why, if you can find other fairys in holes in the ground that heal you, why Navi can't heal you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think she's that annoying.

I'd like to know thought, why, if you can find other fairys in holes in the ground that heal you, why Navi can't heal you?

Fairys always disapear after you use them. Maybe if Navi healed you she would disapear too?

I don't think she's annoying, I even like her.

The thing I don't get about people's complaints about her is the "I hate how she hurries you off to the next dungeon all the time" part. That's all totally optional, if you don't wanna hear it, don't press her C button! That's what confuses me the most. And I totally agree that Kaepora Gaebora was more annoying, cuz you had to listen to him even if you've played the game a million times, and it never really gave any background on him, which made it hard to appreciate. I've heard rumors that he's the reincarnation of a Sage, and that would've been totally awesome if they explained that or something, but I never saw it. Maybe I just don't play Zelda games enough. But Navi you could appreciate her, you saw her taking the order from the Great Deku Tree in the beginning of the game, and by the time you fight Ganon you see her commitment to helping you in the battle. Just makes you love her so much more.
And as for her healing you, I was just thinking about that this morning haha. But if I recall correctly, aren't those the spirits of old fairies or something? I think it says that when you catch one, or maybe just in MM it says that or something, but I think I remember reading it somewhere. So maybe when the fairies die or whatever their spirits can heal people. Also, those fairies are red, whereas Navi and all the fairies you see in Kokiri Forest are blue, so I'm pretty sure that explains it.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
She's not TERRIBLY annoying, but there are some reasons I dislike her:

1. She yells at you all the time. "Hey! Listen!"
2. When you actually talk to her, the text goes terribly slow.
3. Sometimes her advice is completely pointless and obvious. "C'mon! Be brave! Let's go explore the Deku Tree!"
4. You can't go into first-person when she has something to say to you.

Dagoth Ur

Do a barrel roll
Navi was nightmarishly annoying but i cant vote on this one. because thats exactly why i love navi. when she screams at me to LISTEN, sure i will twitch and cuss at her to shutup, (who doesnt) but then when thats over and done with...i always crack a smile.

NAVI FOREVER

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom