• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Annoying Music

Squirrel

The Rodent King
So what music is just grating on your ears? What artists' songs do you have to demand be skipped when someone plays them?
And more specifically, it's that stuff you really can't listen to. Not so much that it's written badly necessarily but that you really can't listen to it because it just hurts to do so.
For example, I think Nickleback makes horrible music but I can stand listening to them whereas I think Skillet makes better music but I can't stand hearing them. Just a personal preference type of thing.

So these are the artists that I just can't stand:

Ariana Grande
Beyonce
Chris Brown
Kanye West
Justin Bieber
Placebo
Simple Plan
Skillet
SR-71
Taylor Swift
TobyMac

And honorable mentions to these:

Finger Eleven
Guano Apes
Kevin Rudolph
Live
Shop Boyz
Sum 41

And there would most certainly be a lot more. It's just, ya know, I don't listen to 'em and I don't know who they are. :P

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I judge not by the artist, but by the song itself.

For example, I don't hear a Justin Bieber song on the radio and think "oh, it's the biebster so I automatically hate this song". No, I admit that Justin Bieber is a fantastic singer, it's just that the songs written for him are extremely cheesy and he's a total douchebag. I don't listen to his music because it's poorly written and never satisfies what his voice can do. Same goes for artists like Ariana Grande (although I actually do enjoy a lot of her music), Miley Cyrus (same as Ariana), etc.

That being said, though, I can't say that I straight up hate any musical artists or songs. I can hear a song and think it's poorly written or not sung well or cheesy or whatever, but I can still appreciate the performer(s) as musicians. There is not a single song that I have ever heard that I would absolutely demand to be skipped when it comes on. Music is music, and I have trained myself to be able to appreciate it no matter how bad it may be. So although I have artists that I don't enjoy as much, I can't say their music is annoying or that I hate it. Truth is, I really don't hate any music, and I feel like music can't be properly appreciated as an art form if you're unable to listen to certain artists just because they are who they are.

Just my opinion though. Feel free to agree or disagree, I just feel like it's wrong to generalize artists as terrible. Even the worst bands have hidden gems amongst their songs.

1. Katie Perry
2. Lady Gaga
3. Miley Cyrus
4. Brittany Spears
5. Spice Girls

...actually, I should just stop there. I could end up here all night.

Yes, there's a pattern. I tend to be annoyed by female pop-stars who get over-hyped to the point of being full of themselves after only one hit. Their music and lyrics are irritating, and that's not even getting into their personalities and attitudes. I'm not saying male artists are perfect (though I feel there's a lot more talent from male artists these days). They just don't seem to go out of their way to be irritating. (Though Katie Perry officially ruined John Mayer for me.)

I guess I'm not as annoyed by the likes of Justin Bieber because I don't hear him on the radio.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I judge not by the artist, but by the song itself.

For example, I don't hear a Justin Bieber song on the radio and think "oh, it's the biebster so I automatically hate this song". No, I admit that Justin Bieber is a fantastic singer, it's just that the songs written for him are extremely cheesy and he's a total douchebag. I don't listen to his music because it's poorly written and never satisfies what his voice can do. Same goes for artists like Ariana Grande (although I actually do enjoy a lot of her music), Miley Cyrus (same as Ariana), etc.

That being said, though, I can't say that I straight up hate any musical artists or songs. I can hear a song and think it's poorly written or not sung well or cheesy or whatever, but I can still appreciate the performer(s) as musicians. There is not a single song that I have ever heard that I would absolutely demand to be skipped when it comes on. Music is music, and I have trained myself to be able to appreciate it no matter how bad it may be. So although I have artists that I don't enjoy as much, I can't say their music is annoying or that I hate it. Truth is, I really don't hate any music, and I feel like music can't be properly appreciated as an art form if you're unable to listen to certain artists just because they are who they are.

Just my opinion though. Feel free to agree or disagree, I just feel like it's wrong to generalize artists as terrible. Even the worst bands have hidden gems amongst their songs.
But I've got friends who can't stand to hear Flyleaf because they just don't like Lacey Mosley's voice. And, at the same time, most of those same friends agree with me that Flyleaf makes really good music. It wasn't really supposed to be about what artists are bad but what's just unpleasant for your own personal taste. That was the idea I was trying to hit with this thread, anyway.

And I hear you on your point about being unable to appreciate it as an art form when you won't listen to it. And that's totally true, especially for what I was looking for, where it's not about whether the music's good or not. But on the other hand, I feel like people like Kanye West and Justin Bieber put a kind of stain on the art. I often feel that music like theirs is like a 5-year-old's scribbles in crayon sitting next to works by the likes of Picasso or Vermeer. It's hard to truly consider the scribbles artwork, especially when you take into consideration that this 'music' isn't being made by 5-year-olds, but by adults who are considered professionals in their art. It's just hard to respect, I suppose, especially when a lot of people including the artists themselves would argue that their work is very good when it just really isn't.
Although in the case of Justin Bieber, who isn't writing his own music, I don't hold his not-so-good music against him. I hold it against whoever wrote his music. He's just the one who's name is under the column labeled 'Artist' so that's the name I'd throw down.

And more specifically, it's that stuff you really can't listen to. Not so much that it's written badly necessarily but that you really can't listen to it because it just hurts to do so.
The Beatles. Their lyrics are very badly written though. Musically though they did use some very new techniques at the time. I just can't stand listening to any of their stuff.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Pretty much any artist that relies on a computer to sing or tries too hard, focusing on the science of music (technical ability) rather than the art (evoking emotion). There are plenty of pop or R&B artists that I just can't stand because their songs are overproduced. I'm not talking about songwriting, just too many effects or tracks in the studio. On the overly technical side of things, some artists have music that is too busy. Some metal artists are notorious for this, especially in screamo and black metal. Even though these bands may have some of the most technical musicians in the world, their music just sounds like noise and I have to turn it off.

JetPunx-R

I can smell you
Nicki Minaj
Lil Wayne
1 Direction
NuMetal

Nicki Minaj for her annoying sounds, her dumb alternate voice that she calls/names "Roman". And she's called a so called "Rapper". Garbage Rapper is where she needs to belong in the music genres.

Lil Wayne just because of the casual slang word he rhymes with in his song because he tries to be "gangster" in some sort. Also, he carried a guitars... but never plays it...

1 Direction because most of their songs are just brought up relating to being with that special girl. Also because of the Boy Band just... dance around and sing poetic songs to woman around. It's basically the same message.

I mean... rapping in a metal band? I know Limpiskit are one of the bands, but it doesn't go well with me. I just find it to be very cringe worthy. I just can't deal with that genre.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I'll give my answers and explain them the best I can:

• Katy Perry. I liked her first album but now literally every single song sounds the same, she as a person irritates the **** out of me and then there's that bit about how she can't actually sing.
  • Ed Sheeran. He's not a bad singer, in fact he's a wonderful singer and an excellent songwriter. He also seems like a really nice guy. However I hate that sappy bull**** he comes out with and I literally cannot bear to listen to it.
  • Neil Diamond. I've always hated his music. When it comes on I just want to tear my ears off.
  • Annie Lennox/The Eurythmics. Another good singer that I just can't stand. She butchers every song she's in.
  • Justin Bieber. I am not just hating on him because it's popular to do so, I genuinely just can't stand even a single one of his songs. Never liked him, never will.
  • Michael Buble. I just can't. I love swing and big band. I love the greats like Frank Sinatra and the rest. Buble is a pale modern day imitation who sings in the same unitonal drawl all the time, his songs are indistinguishable from one another and his persona is just so fricking smug I want to wipe that plastic smirk off his stupid face. When Christmas arrives, he is EVERYWHERE and it drives me INSANE.
But none of these, not one of them, not even put together, grates on my nerves as much as Ellie Goulding. Her voice is like fingernails going down a ****ing blackboard. She did some ****ty Elton John cover and then some stupid ****ing dance music that doesn't suit her voice. Everytime she sings, even a single note, I am filled with the fiercest of rages. I am just excitedly waiting the day her career becomes even more irrelevant and obsolete that she slides off the face of the planet back where she belongs, back in the aluminium cutting plant that she inherited her awful, scrapey, needs-a-Lemsip-and-a-cough-drop voice. :ananger:

Dan

I see a lot of the music in this thread is from the mainstream circuit. I don't wanna brag when I say this but it's true, I follow a more underground circuit of music most of you peasants couldn't even follow due to complexities and such.

This song was at first amazing but after time it really becomes incredibly annoying.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't really "hate" the artist but more the music. I hate rap music like a disease so I'm more likely to judge artists who are into rap. Not really fair because some artists do write amazing songs. It's just that I can't stand rap music in general.
Artists I can't stand and make me to turn off the radio:
Justin Bieber - mainly because of his diva behavior.
Britney Spears - I can't stand her whiny Daisy Duck voice. Even when she's older she still sounds like a duckling with a very bad cold.
Tom Jones - In one word ....EBOLA.....
Chaka Kan - a big no.

An all those happy bubblegum music artists who think having a special beat in their songs and sing about how they love their boy/girlfriend and the wonderful weather onn the beach, is making them famous. Pleazzze come on!!

I used to work at the liquor store and there was a time when, ever hour or so, Lady Gaga would come to me and tell me the story about her own birth. The first time I just nodded politely and thought she'd disappear and go annoy someone else if I just ignored her. But she just came back. Every. Single. Day. Telling me things I didn't want to hear, and even when I screamed in her face to just shut the **** up about it already (much to the customers' confusion), she'd justify it by telling me that that's just how she was born, even though neither I nor anyone else I know ever asked her about it. What an annoying piece of ****.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'll give my answers and explain them the best I can:

• Katy Perry. I liked her first album but now literally every single song sounds the same, she as a person irritates the **** out of me and then there's that bit about how she can't actually sing.
  • Ed Sheeran. He's not a bad singer, in fact he's a wonderful singer and an excellent songwriter. He also seems like a really nice guy. However I hate that sappy bull**** he comes out with and I literally cannot bear to listen to it.
  • Neil Diamond. I've always hated his music. When it comes on I just want to tear my ears off.
  • Annie Lennox/The Eurythmics. Another good singer that I just can't stand. She butchers every song she's in.
  • Justin Bieber. I am not just hating on him because it's popular to do so, I genuinely just can't stand even a single one of his songs. Never liked him, never will.
  • Michael Buble. I just can't. I love swing and big band. I love the greats like Frank Sinatra and the rest. Buble is a pale modern day imitation who sings in the same unitonal drawl all the time, his songs are indistinguishable from one another and his persona is just so fricking smug I want to wipe that plastic smirk off his stupid face. When Christmas arrives, he is EVERYWHERE and it drives me INSANE.
But none of these, not one of them, not even put together, grates on my nerves as much as Ellie Goulding. Her voice is like fingernails going down a ****ing blackboard. She did some ****ty Elton John cover and then some stupid ****ing dance music that doesn't suit her voice. Everytime she sings, even a single note, I am filled with the fiercest of rages. I am just excitedly waiting the day her career becomes even more irrelevant and obsolete that she slides off the face of the planet back where she belongs, back in the aluminium cutting plant that she inherited her awful, scrapey, needs-a-Lemsip-and-a-cough-drop voice. :ananger:

I bought Michael Buble's Christmas CD the other day. Nothing like it playing full blast in the car to get me pumped on the way to gym. 'Oh by golly have a holly jolly Christmas this year!'

As for answering this thread. I'll say some of the more modern people I dont like because they easily come to mind, but there is a lot of music that annoys me. The only music I like unreservedly is the sweet wubs of dubstep, the greatest genre of all.

Anyway here are a few artists that I regularly come across yet dislike:
Beyonce- she has a good voice but I don't like her music.
Rhianna-Her stuff all sounds the same and I dont like it.
Katie Perry- Cant stand this woman's music also it tends to sound the same. Roar is one of my most hated songs. It makes me want to roar and then put my fist through whatever speaker is foisting this inferior music upon my ears.
Justin Bieber-I never liked his music, ever since he first came to prominence. Worse than his music he comes across as a very ****ish individual, even looking at him nauseates me.
1Direction-This band is just trash. I dont like their songs, just another one of Simon Cowells manufactured bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom