• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS Anju and Kafei Quest - Plot Holes

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
99% of the discussions I've seen were purely on how to beat the quest. But not what the quest means or why it's worth playing. So, I'll start here.

With a critical eye, of course:
  1. Is Anju technically a pedophile? Or who cares because everyone's gonna die?
  2. Kafei was going to potentially leave Anju to die just to obtain a symbolic mask?
  3. Anju and Kafei let themselves die in Clock Town for pure plot convenience.

1. Kafei was turned into a kid, he's an adult though. So no. Plus, even if she were a pedophile that's not a "plot hole".

2. It's obviously important to their culture, but yeah it may seem a bit silly, but it makes for a more powerful love story.

3. How is it "convenient" exactly? I liked it actually, the world was totally screwed anyways no matter where they fled (I thought that much was clear, even Cremia and her actions toward Romani showed that they had no hope to live even though they were far outside Clock Town), they were supposed to get married on the day of the carnival, so why not die together doing what you have been wanting to do? To marry and be together forever. It was a very powerful scene and it makes perfect sense to me. I don't see your issue with it?

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I did the smart thing and completed the game on the same cycle I completed one of the most canon essential side-quests in the game (Anju and Kafei Quest). :)

1. No she's not a pedophile, she didn't know he was cursed until the last minute ad he couldn't help that he was cursed, though I'm going to presume the curse was lifted and he goes back to being an adult and if not she will hafta wait a while. Hey! If she was willing to wait right where the moon would fall for him then I'm sure she's patient enough to wait however many years for him to grow up. But damn if that won't be awkward

2. Maybe the masks are like our version of a wedding ring and maybe they live in a very strict culture where things have to be done in a certain way before you can tie the knot? I mean there are various wedding traditions all over the world and even if you live in a society where you could do things however you want, people still like conventions and traditions.

3. What does it really matter? They were going to die anyways, I mean the moon crashing into a planet is going to cause mass extinction and Termina doesn't seem very big, people were fleeing out of instinct but they probably knew that no matter how far away they ran, they weren't going to survive.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Points #1 and #3 are trivial I'll admit.

But I'll focus on point #2.

The world is going to end in 3 days and the man would rather hide from his fiance for 2 and a half, have her worried (or even worse: potentially never see him again) because his wedding ring was stolen from him - than just tell her what happened. Sounds like a big plot convenience.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
99% of the discussions I've seen were purely on how to beat the quest. But not what the quest means or why it's worth playing. So, I'll start here.

With a critical eye, of course:
  1. Is Anju technically a pedophile? Or who cares because everyone's gonna die?
  2. Kafei was going to potentially leave Anju to die just to obtain a symbolic mask?
  3. Anju and Kafei let themselves die in Clock Town for pure plot convenience.

1) No, she isn't. Just like the others mentioned here, Kafei himself is an adult and was changed into a child by Skull Kid. So he's actually an adult that happens to be stuck in a child's body at the moment.

2) According to what I can remember Kafei's been missing for about a month before the events of the game takes place. After he was changed into a child, he went to see the Great Fairy to see if she could use her magic to help him, but instead he ended up becoming a victim of Sakon's thievery and lost his wedding mask. After this, he went into hiding and began attempting to find the man who stole his mask. He also knew that he couldn't officially marry Anju without his mask hence why he was searching for it. Not to mention they had promised to exchange those masks on the Carnival of Time when they were younger which only added to his desperation to find the mask in order to fulfill his promise. It was due to that promise that he didn't want to show up to empty-handed to see Anju.

After having a fruitless search for his mask, Kafei eventually had to face facts and decided to let Anju know that he was alright and that he was still thinking of her by writing her a letter. This in turn lead to the quest that Link goes through during the game.

So yes, potentially Kafei was going to leave Anju to die on her own just to get a mask that in retrospect didn't really mean anything in comparison to being with the person you love. So in that yes, he was being extremely stubborn about it and should've just let to mask go especially since the world was about to end. But it was his devotion to fulfilling the promise he made to Anju regarding the mask that made him do this.

3) Put it this way, both of them knew that they were going to die regardless of what they did or where they went. (Even Cremia knew this even though Anju and her family was seeking shelter there due to the moon falling.) Due to this they made the decision to die together. They both had did the things they were wanting to do; Kafei had fulfilled his promise to Anju to greet her with the Sun's Mask and the two exchanged their wedding vows on the Carnival of Time like they had planned and became husband and wife, so the only thing that they could do was be together in what would be their final moments. In the end, that's all that mattered.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
1) If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend who you love, then they turn up one day having been turned into a child, would you love them any less? Especially if you have five minutes left to spend with them?
2) Love makes people do crazy things. She just wants him and he just doesn't want to disappoint her.
3) Wherever you are in Termina on the last day you get caught up in the destruction, so there's no way they could escape either.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't think there is more to add because others said it already but my two cents:
1. No, absolutely not. She knew this was her love and she knew it was because of a curse so there is nothing and I mean nothing wrong with her loving him even though inn child form. It was her Kafei she loved and not the way he looked.

2. Well call me insane or something but I understand Kafei completely! He wasn't going to sit back and wait. He tried to search for his mask so he could marry. He rather died searching for it than waiting. Even if this meant not dying by her side. He was just not like that. He wanted to have his mask back so he could marry Anju. Maybe he hoped to find it in the last seconds so he still could make it. I think that's actually a sign of dedication and devotion. Try till you die.

3. What else could they do? Two options, they died as a married couple or they died seperated from each other. I don't see any problem with that. Anju went to Cremia and Kafei searched for the mask. In the other option they died together. I find this adorable and sweet. Kafei didn't run away from her just to find a mask. he was searching for his wedding bond to be able to marry the love of his life. And dying together but being married after all is not what I would call something bad in their case. I would call it finally together at last!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom