• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anime!

linkman8

True and Noble
Hmm... I don't know where you all stand on the whole dubbed verses subbed thing...
I love subbed, and rarely (if ever) will I watch dub if given the choice.
And yeah, those ones you listed have good dubs because they're on American TV. (except the last one, I think). Anything that's not on American TV almost always has horrid dubs.

F

FalseDestiny

I myself like the subbed versions best and only rarely watch the dubbed versions. Yet there are times that I have noticed that the dubbed uses the wrong wording and the subbed is a lot better ( but only rarely) Otherwise I am okay with either subbed or dubbed

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
For a while, I would only watch anime with english dubs. I didn't care what it was, or how good the voice acting was, it just had to be dubbed. But after sucking it up and watching a lot of Bleach, which I've been unable to find dubbed versions, I've come to appreciate the originals a lot more. Now I almost prefer the Japanese versions. With some exceptions of course.

Like last night I was watching Bleach on Veoh, and came across an episode that was in english. But it didn't seem very natural, and like they were trying too hard. The voices in themselves were good, and fit the characters well, but again, it didn't sound very natural. Though it may be because I suddenly switched from one language to the other that made it sound weird. It is hard to get used to a voice when it drastically changes out of the blue.

Y

Yumil

On the topic of dub/sub, when I watch anime I usually have the dub playing. I'm not so picky with voice acting and translations as some people are, but the primary reason for me watching in English is simply because I'm normally doing other things while I watch. I can't surf the Internet, or work on websites, or do anything really if I'm watching it in Japanese. In Japanese, I have to focus on the show and read the subtitles and sometimes I do. But with only a few hours a day of free time after work, I tend to go for the English and play it in picture-in-picture while I chat and surf or whatever.

As for what I enjoy, lately I've been watching Gurren Lagann. I also bought a slimpack of DNAngel a while back and finished watching that a week ago. Other favorites of mine are Neon Genesis Evangelion, MyHiME, Genshiken, Kodocha, and Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. :)

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
A few months back I started watching Bleach subbed. I've noticed that the voice work is better than what Viz is producing. Don't get me wrong, they do good work, but it seems a little out of place. Maybe that's just because the dub is in the is so horrible Bount Arc right now. Seems to me like they don't work as hard on filler... Some voices in the dub, I like better actually. Like Kenpachi, and Byakuya. Their dub voices seem to fit more with the characters. Others though, aren't that great. Like Ririn and Yachiru for example. Hmm... I don't know. I guess when it really comes down to it, I like them both equally.

F

FalseDestiny

I agree that there are some english dub voices that are better but I still try to stick with the subbed preferably. I just don't like how far behind the US is on the anime. But that is just something I have to deal with.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
i forgot to tell one thing about this subbed/dubbed thing.
1 factor that also plays is, that if you are used to subs/dubs.

For instance, till now i have only watched bleach subbed, if i would switch to dub, somehow it feels weird.

F

FalseDestiny

I know what you talking about because I have watched a few shows subbed then switched to the dubbed. Mainly I was annoyed because Naruto never said "Believe it" in the subbed yet that is what they put for the dubbed. I got really annoyed.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I know what you talking about because I have watched a few shows subbed then switched to the dubbed. Mainly I was annoyed because Naruto never said "Believe it" in the subbed yet that is what they put for the dubbed. I got really annoyed.

They did that because they needed something to fit the mouth movements for.... dattebayo... was it? I don't know, I don't like Naruto all that much.

F

FalseDestiny

But still it was annoying. I would of preferred leaving it the same instead of replacing it with a stupid catch phrase.

I like to watch it both ways... if there is no dub thats fine, if the sub sucks ill watch it in english....Cowboy bebop comes to mind good english dub bad japanese dub...

I recently just watched the Tales of Symphonia Ova and I have to say that the Jap dub was very good. but the subs were bad...random L's replacing I's.... ALso most Gundam Eng dubs are better than the Japanese I've noticed.

Recently I've been watching a few new series...

Black Cat, xxxHolic, and Gurren Lagann.

They all rock, IMO. Especially Gurren Lagann.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I recently started watching random anime that I could find. I've been pretty bored lately. I started: Inuyasha, Chrome Shelled Regions, and Soul Eater. Inuyasha is better than I thought it'd be, CSR ain't too bad, and I can't really get into Soul Eater. It's too weird, crazy, and perverse for my tastes. Strangest anime I've ever seen.

linkman8

True and Noble
Lately I've been watching Death Note (subbed, of course. :) ). I usually don't watch mainstream, but DN is probably the best mainstream I've seen. I'm about half-way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom