• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anime: Yea or Nae?

Do you like anime?

• Yea

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Nae

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

Stitch

AKA Patrick
For starters, for the most part the fanbase is trash, the plots are kinda dumb, my sister ruined it for me just as I was dipping my feet into anime, the fanbase is once again 90% garbade (Just like Rick and Morty fan base), I don't like the over outgoingness of the characters (the characters in general are trash), I'm not a big fan of Japanese culture, and I think that's it for now. Mostly the fanbase ruins it, but all the rest are completely valid points that would stop me from watching even if it had a good fanbase. Also I refuse to watch any animated stuff other than Simpsons and Family Guy/Seth MacFarlane stuff. In a perfect world, animated stuff is only for kids and adult comedy, and Japanese comedy is downright horrible.

I have no problem with anime fans until they bring up anime. Even then I just let them do their thing and I keep quiet. It's a choice that I would never take
Hating anime is like hating books. Anime/animation is just a canvas to tell a story on. Do you hate books because some of their plots are dumb? Do you hate books because some fans of books are annoying? I just don't understand this hatred for a canvas just because some times what is put on that canvas isn't to your liking.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Hating anime is like hating books. Anime/animation is just a canvas to tell a story on. Do you hate books because some of their plots are dumb? Do you hate books because some fans of books are annoying? I just don't understand this hatred for a canvas just because some times what is put on that canvas isn't to your liking.
Because most book readers aren't crazy annoying like too many anime fans. Also the other reasons

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Because most book readers aren't crazy annoying like too many anime fans. Also the other reasons
I think you should give anime another chance and ignore some of its more annoying fans, there is some brilliant art, animation, storytelling, music, and anything else you can find in movies and television. Technically it already sounds like you enjoy some anime and don't even realize they are anime. Anime, in the Japanese use of the word, means any animation. So Family Guy and the Simpsons are anime, at least to the Japanese.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I think you should give anime another chance and ignore some of its more annoying fans, there is some brilliant art, animation, storytelling, music, and anything else you can find in movies and television. Technically it already sounds like you enjoy some anime and don't even realize they are anime. Anime, in the Japanese use of the word, means any animation. So Family Guy and the Simpsons are anime, at least to the Japanese.
I find that it's only anime if it is Japanese. Sometime I probsbly will try it again, but the likelihood is not right now

I don't think it's for weirdos but I don't watch it.. it's probably odd for some because I don't know something like Breath of Fire must seem anime-inspired, Dragon Ball Z into Street Fighter.

And yet they're not the same, so.. the differences are such that I don't necessarily like spending time on anime.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I like it but some of the tropes/weirder aspects of certain shows can really hamper my enjoyment.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooo.

Okay so I don't dislike Anime in general. I'm mostly just not interested. I haven't seen much anime, but Seven Deadly Sins was fun for a bit and I actually really like Death Note but I kinda got bored with it and stopped watching.

I find the usual animu nonsense kinda offputting and it is a deterrent to me enjoying anime. So any anime that largely refrains from the animu nonsense is going to be much more watchable for me. Seven Deadly Sins was just so obvious and over the top about it I didn't care. It was 99% of the fun. And in addition to having a remarkably engaging narrative Death Note mostly refrains from the animu nonsense. I think the closest Death Note ever came to animu nonsense was "I'll pick up the chip... AND EAT IT!!!!"

At the same time, even if it doesn't personally appeal to me, whatever the Japanese are up to is bat shat crazy because the Japanese are bat shat crazy and I mean that with the upmost reverence and respect. Seriously. I greatly admire the Japanese's ability to just not give a gentle caress and create pretty much whatever they want and if anyone outside of Japan complains the Japanese just straight up don't care.

It doesn't help that western translations and dubs tend to be trash. I mean seriously, what's up with all the grunting? There's supposed to be dialog there, you hacks! Do your jobs and translate that @#$%!. And I'm simply not into it enough to watch subs. I know that's the proper way to do it but I just don't have the attention span to read/watch the bajillion anime subs out there. I'm not against subtitles in movies. The dubed version of DasBoot is unwatchable. But there's just far too much anime to devote my attention to and I'm just not that into it.

A lot of anime is mass produced garbage so you have to look pretty far and hard to find a gorgeous well produced anime. Studio Gibli is of course the poster child for quality anime. Even if most of it is made for tv schlock, some of the schlock can be pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom