• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I have read the rules and tried hard figuring out how to play the game. I am a newbie tothis Forum. And it's been only days after Ijoined here
suppose I sign in now what am I supposed to do on the first day of the game ? could you P M how to play thegame in detail.?

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I have read the rules and tried hard figuring out how to play the game. I am a newbie tothis Forum. And it's been only days after Ijoined here
suppose I sign in now what am I supposed to do on the first day of the game ? could you P M how to play thegame in detail.?
Unfortunately the game is already full, if you sign-in right now you'll be moved to the subs and will substitute an inactive player (if that happens) later on the game.

I'm assuming you don't know how Mafia works. Have you ever played Town of Salem? It's similar.
Basically it's two main factions (Town and Mafia) trying to defeat each other by eliminating the other faction's players. These players have special powers called Roles that allow them to gather information, protect, or kill another player.

The game is separated in two phases, Day Phases and Night Phases.
During the Day phase the players vote who they want to kill during this phase, this is mainly how players from the Town faction kill the ones from the Mafia faction.
During the Night the players can use their Roles, this is mainly to generate discussion for the next Day Phase.

The Mafia faction has a lower ammount of members (around 1/4 of total players) and acess to a chat where they talk with each other. Not only that but they can choose one player to kill during the Night Phase.
The Town faction has a larger number of players (around 3/4 of the total) but can only talk in the game thread.

You can find a list of possible roles on a thread in this sub-forum.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
This is a pretty decent explanation of what mafia is and roughly how it plays: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Quick_Guide_to_Mafia

This is the thread on ZD itself with their own guide for the basics of the game: https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/thre...-glossary-faqs-discussion.56679/#post-1031729

A basic summary is that at it's most basic level mafia is usually a game where everyone gets pm'd a role and an alignment (usually town or scum) and this information is hidden from other players. In a standard setup it's usually 9 town players and 3 scum (often called mafia or werewolf) players. The goal of the town players is generally to kill all the scum players (and in more complex setups, other threats to town). The goal of scum is usually to make up 50% or more of the living players. Scum is generally aware of who the other scum players are has a means of secretly communicating with them.

Each "day phase", all living players vote on who to kill amongst themselves. Town is trying to kill scum by doing this. Scum is trying to pretend to be town by pretending to be trying to kill scum so that they'll survive without detection.

Each "night phase" the scum players get to try to kill a town player.

In addition there are roles players have in addition to their alignment that they might use to help them win the game, such as a cop who can determine if a player is town or scum every night or a doctor who can protect a player from being killed.

An easy way to picture this is to imagine the original flavor of the game, which was called "the werewolf game". A village has people who are being killed during the night due to werewolves who are living among them so they lynch a player every day in hopes of being rid of them in a manner akin to the Salem witch trials. Then, during the night, if werewolves remain, they kill another player.

-

If you're curious how the game plays out in practice, you can always look at any of the previous games we've played here. Some of them are more wild than others, though.

Also, it looks like ExLight beat me to it. (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom