• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

And the Master Sword sleeps again... FOREVER!

This is why I prefer to lump them together into different multiverse groups. If we only look at Alttp, Oox, LA, Tloz and Taol then the Master Sword isn't actually used again. Yes it does appear in the Oracle games but that appearance is dubiously canon if you ask me. Not to mention you don't need it to beat Ganon in those games.

Last edited:

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
This is why I prefer to lump them together in different multiverse groups. If we only look at Alttp, Oox, LA, Tloz and Taol then the Master Sword isn't actually used again. Yes it does appear in the Oracle games but that appearance is dubiously canon if you ask me. Not to mention you don't need it to beat Ganon in that game.
I see each Zelda game as self contained. So I think have multi-verses with different Master Swords makes sense. :)

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Some Zelda games are confirmed to have over-arcing continuities though; confirmed before the creation of the controversial Official Timeline back in 2011.

We know the following to be true -
  • The Legend of Zelda is followed by Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.
  • A Link to the Past is a prequel to the OG LoZ
  • Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons follow the continued adventures of Link from A Link to the Past.
  • The Minish Cap is a prequel to Four Swords, with FSA also obviously being a sequel to The Minish Cap BUT people contested whether it was the third in the Four Swords lineup or the one between TMC and FS.
  • Ocarina of Time had a direct sequel in the form of Majora's Mask.
  • Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker were BOTH follow-ups to the ending of Ocarina of Time, which is where everyone began to theorize two parallel timelines following the game.
  • Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are confirmed to follow The Wind Waker.
  • A Link Between Worlds is a follow-up to the incarnation from A Link to the Past.
  • Tri-Force Heroes' Green Link is the same Link from ALBW
  • Skyward Sword is first if we just ignore the Hyrule Historia Manga which everyone pretty much does to begin with.
  • Time-Paradox causes a new timeline to occur alongside Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom to allow for the existence of Age of Calamity (with possibly OG Hyrule Warriors being declared a sequel to THAT game if Nintendo were so inclined)
So OBVIOUSLY there is some dedicated continuity each game has in respect to the others
  • Skyward Sword goes before all.
  • A Link to the Past --> Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons --> Link's Awakening --> A Link Between Worlds --> Tri-Force Heroes --> The Legend of Zelda --> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • The Minish Cap --> Four Swords --> Four Swords Adventures/Four Swords Adventures+
  • Ocarina of Time --> Majora's Mask --> Twilight Princess
  • Ocarina of Time --> The Wind Waker --> Phantom Hourglass --> Spirit Tracks
  • Breath of the Wild's Great Calamity Event --> Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • Breath of the Wild --> Tears of the Kingdom
The only issue has been what order these games go in. Nintendo gave us an answer, and people were upset because of the Downfall Timeline being what amounts to a poorly written plot hole since it makes little sense it the way they had it written.

Indeed they need to sort out the mess in a better manner. For starters, keep the Downfall Timeline BUT make it so that it is NOT a result of a game over but rather a result of Link having to go back into the past to do the Childhood portion of the Spirit Temple; being the most major of guaranteed time-travel use in the game that would have major repercussions to the future in the timeline. With such a timeline split, Link would simply have accidentally abandoned a timeline where he collected all but 1 sage and Zelda has to act quickly to awaken the 7th Sage in order to go with Plan B: Desperate Measures and seal Ganondorf away in the Sacred Realm; kickstarting the Downfall timeline.

This is why I prefer to lump them together into different multiverse groups. If we only look at Alttp, Oox, LA, Tloz and Taol then the Master Sword isn't actually used again. Yes it does appear in the Oracle games but that appearance is dubiously canon if you ask me. Not to mention you don't need it to beat Ganon in those games.
A Link Between Worlds?
I haven't got any theories on this matter myself, but I was hoping someone else might have a good explanation for me, as it would greatly ease my mind and help me sleep at night once more.
Who's talking here: pre or post ALBW? "Forever" in the original context is an honest reflection about Hyrule not needing the Master Sword again. "Forever" in the modern context reads much more ironic: obviously Hyrule is going to need the Master Sword again, there is an ever-resurrecting Demon King bent on its destruction. It's a meta-textual explanation, but in-universe there is zero explanation.

A Link Between Worlds?
I like to place it into its own thing along with Triforce Heroes. If placed together with the rest of them, it causes inconsistency and adds very little of value to the lore.

For example, saying that Ganon was sealed by the previous hero and the sages. This never happened in alttp, not to mention that Ganon was resurrected and promptly destroyed again. How much it mirrors alttp isn't an inconsistency but feels off from a lore perspective imo. Lorule just happens to basically be the dark world the sacred realm turned into.

Sure it technically works but it feels kinda like "what's the point of this story?" to me. It becomes a pointless entry which adds nothing. Place it into its own universe though, have it be an alternate reality variant of alttp which follows up some alternate reality imprisoning war. Have Lorule be from the multiverse, crossing over. Suddenly the story gains much more value and intrigue. All inconsistencies disappear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pen

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
She's "developed" all right

d42b7abd-9aed-4ad9-be56-58c3508ba4d8_text.gif

I mean id assume i wouldnt have to use the sword ever again if i thought ganon wouldnt return. But nope.. he came back. Again and again

RamboBambiBambo

What is funny however is that they wrote 'Forever' and yet we have two more games that, when linked together, have that incarnation of Link somehow obtain the Master Sword to fight Ganon as the true ending to the Oracles games.
But then again, we didn't have a timeline confirming that the Links we play as in ALttP, LA, OoA, & OoS were one and the same; that was just a theory many had when trying to even make a timeline before Hyrule Historia.

I'm just glad they didn't stick with it.
Imagine each Zelda game having a unique "Ultimate Divine Sword"

Ocarina of Time with a Master Sword? Nah, TIME'S EDGE!
The Wind Waker with a Master Sword? Nah, KRAKENBANE!
Twilight Princess with a Master Sword? Nah, SWORD OF DAWN!
Skyward Sword with a Master Sword? Nah, DIVINE SWORD!
Breath of the Wild/TotK with a Master Sword? Nah, BLADE OF THE CHAMPION!
Hyrule Warriors with a Master Sword? Nah, THE THRONGLER!!!!

A Link Between Worlds could've gotten away with it by having Link obtain the Lorule counterpart to the Master Sword - The MAESTRO SWORD

Last edited:

RamboBambiBambo

Ok but this is actually a really good idea and I hate that they didn't go with that.
There actually is a theory that the reason why Lorule does not have a Master Sword is because it has Master Ore that can only be found in Lorule and not Hyrule.
Master Ore is what is needed to upgrade the Master Sword by taking it to a smithy and using the Ore for the upgrade.

The theory goes that Lorule deviates from Hyrule by lacking a Demon King and a Hero, with Ravio being instead the Lorulean counterpart to Hyrule's Link. While Link is heroic and courageous, Ravio is a bit more freeloading and cowardly.
So as a result, Lorule had no Hero to help defend the Kingdom, and thus Hilda wished for the Lorulean Triforce to be removed from existence so as to no longer tempt the hearts of covetous people to do heinous things; unknowingly condemning Lorule to its darkened fate.

Without an ever-reincarnating Hero in their mirrored version of Hyrule's history, Lorule had no need to forge their own Master Sword. Hence why Master Ore exists in Lorule while it does not exist in its raw form in Hyrule.
Because all the Master Ore of Hyrule was used to forge the Goddess Sword that would become the Master Sword.
And now, because we used the Master Ore to enhance the Master Sword, Lorule is forever without an equivalent to Hyrule's great blade.
So should a Demon King arise in their world - Lorule would be doomed without a Master Sword.

A grim theory.

And yes, I hate that we didn't get a Lorulean equivalent of the Master Sword. I could imagine the blade being designed as an opposite to the Master Swords design.
The Master Sword has the blade start out narrow at the cross-guard, then becomes broader for the Triforce Insignia, and then remains a broad width down the length until we reach the tip.
So to fit with Lorule's thematic mirroring of Hyrule, logically the Lorulean equivalent would be the opposite with a broader start to the blade at the cross-guard, the insignia, and then narrowing after the insignia to be a thinner blade that stays at that width until the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom