• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

And the Master Sword sleeps again... FOREVER!

Pen

The game is on!
The ending of A Link to the Past gives us this quite absolute sounding prompt. A Link Between Worlds is supposed to take place after this game, yet it also features the Master Sword in action. I'd like to trust the text that's literally right there in my Zelda game, but if ALBW is really supposed to take place after ALttP, well, then it's a big fat contradiction!

I haven't got any theories on this matter myself, but I was hoping someone else might have a good explanation for me, as it would greatly ease my mind and help me sleep at night once more.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 18.48.16.jpeg

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Well that Master Sword is different from the one used by The Hero of Time and later Links.

1686159729604.jpeg

Hero of Time’s Master made him travel 7yrs into future.

Other Master Swords were gained by different requirements.

It probably is that most Zelda games are self contained. But in verse theory is that The Master Sword of A Link To A Past is like Narsil, and the later Master Swords are Anduril: reforged.

Fierce Deity Link

It's because there was no master sword in Zelda and Zelda 2 so they didn't think it would be a plot point
A possible explanation for why they wrote that in ALTP, however, now we have to fit it in the larger canon.

Perhaps there is more than one Master Sword. Demise had one at the same time Link did:

1686173071044.jpeg

Last edited:

Fierce Deity Link

it's just a simple retcon, don't know if they ever thought to do a follow up to link to the past but heck it, it's been 20+ years, and it's end game text anyway, not like a big plot point

I must disagree. The last line in a game is major.

An easy fix is Nintendo remove the text in a port of ALTP or add new text.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I must disagree. The last line in a game is major.

An easy fix is Nintendo remove the text in a port of ALTP or add new text.
it's just an end credits line to wrap up a happy ending, no one in game outright says that the master sword is completely finished
and besides, why would it be?

and sure they could've removed it but even then, there still wasn't a sequel nor plans for one apparently, so why bother

Fierce Deity Link

it's just an end credits line to wrap up a happy ending, no one in game outright says that the master sword is completely finished
and besides, why would it be?

and sure they could've removed it but even then, there still wasn't a sequel nor plans for one apparently, so why bother
Oh I mean remove it now, since there has been so many installments with the MS.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
There is also the possibility that this was a translation error from Japanese to English.
Or even just a localization error, since they often times add or remove things when coming from Japan to the West.

Fierce Deity Link

that's a bit much for something that ultimately matters really little, and clearly nintendo gives zero care about their continuity anyway
There is also the possibility that this was a translation error from Japanese to English.
Or even just a localization error, since they often times add or remove things when coming from Japan to the West.
True!

Godzilla the American Original has all those additions of the American Report and cuts that make Godzilla seem like pure evil. The real film, Gojira, is shot in a way that you pity Godzilla.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Precisely.

For example -
There are a few concepts in Zelda that are not carried over to European and American versions because they use terminology that is common in Asian culture due to common religious practices. However since these concepts are not well known in the west, they get edited out for localization purposes.

The reverse was also the same for when it came to Zelda's use of Christianity.
Official Nintendo Artwork during the development of ALTTP.jpg
This was official artwork during the development of ALttP.

The original two Zelda games featured christian symbolism here and there, most notably the fact that Link's shield had a cross on it.
Later interviews revealed that Nintendo chose this because Christianity was considered to be an exotic religion to Japanese audiences and was thus an interesting topic to use as a narrative development for fictional writing; similar to how in the West we have used the Greek mythos for entertainment value.
When it came to the west, Nintendo eventually realized that their use of Christianity could lead to controversy as the nation is predominantly Christian or Protestant.
So Nintendo dropped the Christian symbolism by the time the third game came to be published.

Because of cultural differences, many things are altered in the story to a subtle degree. Such as how for over thirty years Ganon/Ganondorf's forces were just known as 'Monsters' and not really referred to as 'Demons'. But in the Japanese versions, the enemies are all members of the 'Demon Tribe'.

And we still have localization messing with even minor things.
In the Japanese versions of BotW, HW-AoC, and TotK we see the Questlog dialogue written in first person; the entries being Link's actual journal entries. He even has small snippets of extra flavor text letting us see subtle hints of his personality. (for example, you beat the Sand Seal Races and Link will state that he was victorious but still will like to try again because he had fun doing it.)
This flavor text is REMOVED from the English versions of the game and the Questlog is written in the second person, being instead a list of instructions with pronouns of 'Me, Myself, and I' being replaced with more generalized pronouns such as 'you and your'.

TL;DR - Localization is annoying and makes understanding a franchise made in a separate culture a bit more frustrating sometimes.

Reactions: Pen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom