• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ancient Tree Stump in BotW (A possible hint at Kokiris?)

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Recently, I stumbled upon the Ancient Tree Stump in BotW. It's located in Central Hyrule southwest of the Castle.

After close inspection, it seems that there were once settlements around this tree. A small pond of water surrounds the stump and you can see the remains of houses underneath it.

Geographically, it wouldn't make sense for this to be the original location of the second OoT Deku Tree, if we're using the Castle of BotW as a point of reference. I believe the new Castle was built in a new location after the events of OoT, so if that is true, the location of the ancient tree stump would work as the spot where the Great Deku Tree once stood. But why is it outside of the forest/lost woods?

I believe the new Deku Tree was taken to a safer location, possibly during a time of war, by the Koroks who carried the seed to the Lost Woods in BotW. But still, what happened to the Kokiri? Did they turn into the Koroks by some sort of magic? Or maybe the Kokiri had to adapt to their environment to avoid predators, thus becoming small tree creatures that can easily blend in with their surroundings.

So what do you think about the Ancient Tree Stump? Do you believe it was once the Great Deku Tree? And with that being said, do you think the Kokiri could have lived around it at one time?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Nintendo are always retconning their own geography so I'm not too concerned about the stump not being in the right place and the houses around it would suggest the Kokiri made homes to be close to the tree sprout. Still the absence of the sprout or the tree it would have become could be explained by it being moved and replanted somewhere else.

As for the Kokiri. I am sure they became the Koroks. In Wind Waker the Deku Tree said Koroks took on those forms because of the sea and whilst he didn't mention the Kokiri specifically as their precursors there is no other race they would logically have originated from, seeing as the Kokiri were the children of the Deku tree in OOT as the Koroks were his children in WW.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The ancient Tree stump appears to be pretty "in the action" as to its location, which could possibly explain WHY the Koroks (or Kokiri) would have moved the location of the Great Deku Tree. Assuming the Kokiri moved the Tree, they decided to live with the Tree in its new location.

Now here's where things get a little weird/unlikely:

The Kokiri started turning into Stalfoes/stalchildren, and any Kokiri who were still where the Old Deku Tree stood realized their danger, and became Koroks, then finished the job of the Kokiri, and movied the Tree To the Korok forest, where they multiplied in numbers.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm not sure the geography of Hyrule is consistent enough to attempt to use anything as a reference point.

But I do believe the Ancient Tree Stump is likely where the Great Deku Tree once lived. I think it could very well be in the exact same place, but perhaps the woods themselves moved away from it, and the ATS is the only thing left of the original woods. In other words, why assume the tree moved? Why not assume the forest died and was replanted elsewhere, and the stump is in the remains of the old forest?

I definitely think the Koroks are the Kokiri, though, and that they probably lived around this stump at some point.

I actually think it might be the stump of the giant tree in Faron Woods in Skyward Sword.
I think the way the map of the surface is shown in three sections is actually a little misleading, and that the orientation of the pieces is not how they were actually arranged.
I also suspect that the landscape of Hyrule has changed greatly since Skyward Sword, and that Faron Woods once covered the vast majority of the land, having originally reached from the forest to the south (which includes the current Faron Woods), through central Hyrule (which was likely cleared as they established the new kingdom) up to the Great Hyrule Forest in the north.
(Bear in mind this is also taking into consideration the inconsistencies in the layout of Hyrule that would have resulted from the 'oral tradition' style of the series.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom